Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Pre-install question

  1. #1

    Default Pre-install question

    Hi,
    I've been using linux for many years, so I know what I'm doing most of the time, and know when to ask.

    Last year, I installed 12.3 and liked it so much that I am going to install 13.1.

    Here is my problem:

    When I installed 12.3, I put a second HDD into my desktop and installed 12.3 on that. No problem.

    Now I am going to buy a larger drive and install on that. What I want to do is remove the drive that does not have OpenSuse on it and install the new drive in its place. Then I want to install OpenSuse 13.1 on the new drive (easy), copy my old /home directory to the new drive (easy) and then remove the other old drive from the system. (after all, "What could possibly go wrong?" ) I'm worried because when I used to have multiple drives in a PC, adding or removing a drive was a big hassle involving regenerating the initrd part of the boot process.

    So, my questions: Is there anything that I will have to do after the 13.1 install and copying my /home directory to the new install so that the system will boot with a single drive (instead of two drives)? If so, what are these steps?

    If I have not provided enough information for you to provide me with a good answer, please ask and I'll provide more information.

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,285

    Default Re: Pre-install question

    If you are doing a fresh install there should be no problem as long as the install drive is the boot drive.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pre-install question

    Hi Mark !

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNei View Post
    Hi,
    I've been using linux for many years, so I know what I'm doing most of the time, and know when to ask.

    Last year, I installed 12.3 and liked it so much that I am going to install 13.1.

    Here is my problem:

    When I installed 12.3, I put a second HDD into my desktop and installed 12.3 on that. No problem.
    To install openSUSE on a separate hard disk has always been easier (if 'always' means the last 10 years or so).

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNei View Post
    Now I am going to buy a larger drive and install on that. What I want to do is remove the drive that does not have OpenSuse on it and install the new drive in its place.
    So far, that seems fine.
    Or not:

    Remove your old drive (the one that you wanted to replace),
    boot,
    and see if everything works fine (I doubt).

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNei View Post
    Then I want to install OpenSuse 13.1 on the new drive (easy), ...
    probably this is easy

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNei View Post
    copy my old /home directory to the new drive (easy)
    Depends: do you intend to copy the hidden directories/files of /home as well ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkNei View Post
    multiple drives in a PC, adding or removing a drive was a big hassle involving regenerating the initrd part of the boot process.
    Adding a drive for me never meant any problem.
    But removing a drive always caused severe problems (as long as it wasn't an USB drive).

    Good luck!
    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •