Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse 13.1 64bit issue: no ethernet card

Default Opensuse 13.1 64bit issue: no ethernet card

Hello,

May I ask for your help in the following issues. In your replies please be specific since I am not an expert, just a fan of openSUSE.

My goal is to set up a laptop dual-booting Windows 8.1 64bit and openSUSE 13.1 64bit with KDE. The laptop is an Acer Aspire E1-572G bought new in January 2014.

The Yast - Hardware - Hardware Information dump file shows a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57786 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe. Looking at Yast - Network Settings, tab Overview, the "Broadcom Ethernet controller" is "not configured" and refers to dmesg output which is here. The card works as tested under Windows.

I would appreciate your help to get this issue resolved. Thank you!

Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 64bit issue: no ethernet card

I had a similar issue, covered in another (long) thread. For a possible quick fix, edit the card and make sure it is set for dhcp. Change nothing else. I had forgotten that openSUSE was changing the handling of the ethernet card. Instead of being eth0, it will now be called something similar to enp2s0. Hope it is that simple for you.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Progress(?) report:

* Trying a few things following Prexy's remarks, I could not arrive at any improvement. As they were not very specific, nor was the link to the mentioned thread included, I may have missed something.

* The post at http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...11#post2625311 suggested that the network card should be supported by the latest 3.13 kernel.

I added the repository
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...able/standard/ as "Kernel" in Yast, then went to Yast - Software Management and looked at installed packages that appeared also on "Kernel". The following three packages appeared:

Code:
    kernel-desktop
    kernel-firmware
    mkinitrd
    I performed a repository switch to "Kernel" which updated the kernel-desktop to version 3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b. Rebooting the machine showed

Code:
    Loading Linux 3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b-desktop ...
    error: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b-desktop has invalid signature.
    Loading initial ramdisk...
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
    both in regular and in recovery mode, i.e., I could not login at all with kernel 3.13 and had to use the recovery mode of kernel 3.11. So I guess at this point I cannot really say if the newer kernel would help to run the network card!?

I've seen hints elsewhere that the following BIOS information might be useful.

Code:
    Boot Mode: UEFI
    Secure Boot: Enabled
    Boot priority order: 
      1. opensuse-securebootST500LT012-9WS142
      2. ATAPI CDROM: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU71N
      3. Windows Boot Manager
      4. USB FDD: 
      etc.
    Thanks in advance for further suggestions.

ps: What does "recovery mode" actually mean and do? Pointers to some educational page? BTW, all pages at https://en.opensuse.org/ have taken _ages_ to load recently. --> ???

Quote Originally Posted by paschuller View Post
    I performed a repository switch to "Kernel" which updated the kernel-desktop to version 3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b. Rebooting the machine showed

Code:
    Loading Linux 3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b-desktop ...
    error: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.3-1.g7ccf96b-desktop has invalid signature.
    Loading initial ramdisk...
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
    both in regular and in recovery mode, i.e., I could not login at all with kernel 3.13 and had to use the recovery mode of kernel 3.11. So I guess at this point I cannot really say if the newer kernel would help to run the network card!?
    Hm, that's strange.
    Apparently something went wrong when installing the kernel.

Do you have a separate /boot partition maybe that ran out of space?
    Please post the output of:
    Code:
    df -h
    ps: What does "recovery mode" actually mean and do? Pointers to some educational page?
    Recovery mode loads the kernel with options that should work under all circumstances, like disabling DMA, ACPI, multithreading and so on. And in particular it forces a general graphics driver like fbdev or vesa that should work with all graphics cards.

On 2014-02-17 23:06, paschuller wrote:
    > BTW, all pages at https://en.opensuse.org/ have taken
    > _ages_ to load recently. --> ???

With Firefox only, perhaps?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

@wolfi323, #4 :

Code:
    linux-blgv:~ # df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda7        20G  7.6G   12G  41% /
    devtmpfs        3.9G  8.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
    tmpfs           3.9G   76K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /run
    tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /var/run
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /var/lock
    /dev/sda8        15G   26M   14G   1% /usr/local
    /dev/sda2        96M   29M   68M  30% /boot/efi
    /dev/sda10      296G   76G  205G  27% /home
    /dev/sda9       9.8G  2.9G  6.4G  32% /root
    Here is a screenshot of the packages from Kernel repository: http://paste.opensuse.org/51943300 .

@robin_listas, #5: Yes, I usually use Firefox 24 (because of the missing "Next" function in more recent versions) on openSUSE 12.3 64bit. Following your remark I checked with Konqueror, it takes about half a minute to get the page at https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx. A quick check on Windows Explorer showed a delayed but bearable response.

@wolfi323, #4 :

Code:
    linux-blgv:~ # df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda7        20G  7.6G   12G  41% /
    devtmpfs        3.9G  8.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
    tmpfs           3.9G   76K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /run
    tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /var/run
    tmpfs           3.9G  4.5M  3.9G   1% /var/lock
    /dev/sda8        15G   26M   14G   1% /usr/local
    /dev/sda2        96M   29M   68M  30% /boot/efi
    /dev/sda10      296G   76G  205G  27% /home
    /dev/sda9       9.8G  2.9G  6.4G  32% /root
    Here is a screenshot of the packages from Kernel repository: http://paste.opensuse.org/51943300 .
    So /boot is on the root partition? Then there should be enough space.
    Or is it a separate partition that is not mounted? (this would of course prevent the proper installation of the kernel as well)

Maybe try to just re-install it. (with /boot mounted of course if it's a separate partition)
    Click on the tick in the "Versions" tab for the 3.13 version until it gets changed to a green up-arrow (1 click should suffice), then press Accept.
    Maybe it works then?

@robin_listas, #5: Yes, I usually use Firefox 24 (because of the missing "Next" function in more recent versions) on openSUSE 12.3 64bit. Following your remark I checked with Konqueror, it takes about half a minute to get the page at https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx. A quick check on Windows Explorer showed a delayed but bearable response.
    This seems to be a general (server?) problem. I saw that as well sometimes recently.
    Maybe related to this?
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00143.html

I want to add that the kernel package itself is ok. I just installed it myself and the 3.13.3 kernel booted fine here.

Hm, here is a screenshot of the Yast Partitioner tool: http://paste.opensuse.org/33508952

When I installed, I did not touch any of the /dev/sda1..5 which where all put in place by Win8.1. I deleted all suggestions for "higher" partitions which concerned swap, / and /home. I do not recall seeing a separate /boot suggestion. Therefore I did not implement one in the partition setup I manually created as displayed in the pasted screenshot.

I found the following file /boot/boot.readme which I am posting here in its completeness:

Code:
    This file is for first help if you occur some problems during booting.

FAQ

Q: Kernel upgrade break my tuned bootloader settings, I want edit it manually.
    A: set LOADER_TYPE="none" in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader. Hint is used /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd symlinks as files which is already point to actual kernel. WARNING after kernel upgrade you must update also configuration manually, otherwise you cannot boot.

Configuration files for bootloader (if you want manually edit it)

/etc/sysconfig/bootloader - contain various settings for bootloader and is used by perl-Bootloader

for grub (x86*) or trustedgrub -
      /boot/grub/menu.lst - main configuration for sections
      /boot/grub/device.map - mapping of real device to grub device
      /etc/grub.conf - batch file for grub if you need update your bootloader location

for grub2 (x86* or ppc)
      /boot/grub2/grub.cfg - main configuration for sections
      /boot/grub2/custom.cfg - custom user configuration file sourced by grub.cfg
      /etc/default/grub - settings to control creation of grub.cfg used by grub2-mkconfig

for lilo ( x86* or ppc) - 
      /etc/lilo.conf - main configuration file

for elilo ( x86_64 or ia) -
      /etc/elilo.conf - main configuration file
      efibootmgr - utility for efi labels
      /boot/efi/efi/SuSE/elilo.conf - configuration after elilo preprocess, use only if elilo break original configuration, in other case edit directly elilo.conf in /etc

for zipl (s390)-
      /etc/zipl.conf - main configuration file
    I don't really have an idea about boot stuff, especially the new EFI method - is the above relevant? If yes, how?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I want to add that the kernel package itself is ok. I just installed it myself and the 3.13.3 kernel booted fine here.
    May I assumed you used the method you described elsewhere? In my description of how I installed kernel 3.13.3 through Yast, I easily may have forgotten a detail. How about I uninstall all kernel 3.13.3 related, remove the Kernel repository, and use the zypper command in the way you described?

All this to say that I'm hesitant to go through _another_ installation, but if we establish that it would really help...

Hm, here is a screenshot of the Yast Partitioner tool: http://paste.opensuse.org/33508952
    OK. It's just that this would have been a possible reason for the problem.

I found the following file /boot/boot.readme which I am posting here in its completeness:

[CODE]
    This file is for first help if you occur some problems during booting.

I don't really have an idea about boot stuff, especially the new EFI method - is the above relevant? If yes, how?
    No.
    Your boot _is_ working, isn't it?
    It's just that the 3.13 kernel cannot be loaded because it "has invalid signature".
    Now that you mentioned EFI, I do think that this is because of (U)EFI, secure boot in particular (which requires a kernel signed with a trusted key).

Unfortunately I have no experience with that stuff either.

But you should be able to turn off secure boot in the BIOS (UEFI actually ) settings.
    Try this as a test to see if the kernel boots then and the ethernet card works.

You won't be able to boot Windows 8.1 though with secure boot off, but it's just for finding out whether it makes sense to follow up on the kernel.

May I assumed you used the method you described elsewhere?
    Not quite. I directly downloaded the kernel package with a Webbrowser and installed it manually with "rpm".

In my description of how I installed kernel 3.13.3 through Yast, I easily may have forgotten a detail. How about I uninstall all kernel 3.13.3 related, remove the Kernel repository, and use the zypper command in the way you described?

All this to say that I'm hesitant to go through _another_ installation, but if we establish that it would really help...
    No, the kernel package is installed and that's all there is to it.

YaST and zypper do exactly the same thing anyway, as they both just use the underlying libzypp which in the end also just uses "rpm" to install the package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast