Can I upgrade from 13.1 to Tumbleweed?

Hi, I’m using openSUSE 13.1 but would like to upgrade to Tumbleweed. Do I just download Tumbleed DVD, boot it up and click upgrade?

Can it be that simple?

Thanks
Astralogic

No.
There is no Tumbleweed DVD AFAIK.

But it’s even simpler:
Just add the Tumbleweed repo and run “sudo zypper dup”.
Of course you should also disable the 13.1 repos and add the “openSUSE-Current” repos instead.
And switch all additionally configured repos to their Tumbleweed flavour if available (if not, you’d better disable/remove them).

You should also disable/uninstall the Desktop’s updater applet and not use YaST->Online Updates.
The only supported way of keeping Tumbleweed up to date is to regularly run “zypper dup”.

For a detailed explanation, see here: (including a 1-click install for the Tumbleweed repos)
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Another thing to note though is that kernel modules installed via packages WILL NOT work with Tumbleweed! (except if they are specifically intended for Tumbleweed of course)
This includes the nvidia driver. If you want to use that with Tumbleweed, you’ll have to install it “the hard way”, and either set up dkms or reinstall it after every kernel update (which there are many on Tumbleweed).

So Tumbleweed might not necessarily be the best thing to try for inexperienced users.

Not necessary if you wish to have a desktop notifier on Tumbleweed, informing you that a bunch of updates have arrived. I keep it (Apper) for that reason on KDE, but I never ever use it to install any updates on my Tumbleweed system.

I do use it sometimes. But it didn’t “see” the KDE packages in the TW repo, until I did a ‘zypper dup --from Tumbleweed’. Now the the updater takes these packages in consideration too when looking for updates.

On 02/17/2014 06:46 AM, wolfi323 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Astralogic;2625296 Wrote:
>> Hi, I’m using openSUSE 13.1 but would like to upgrade to Tumbleweed. Do
>> I just download Tumbleed DVD, boot it up and click upgrade?
>>
>> Can it be that simple?
>>
> No.
> There is no Tumbleweed DVD AFAIK.
>
> But it’s even simpler:
> Just add the Tumbleweed repo and run “sudo zypper dup”.
> Of course you should also disable the 13.1 repos and add the
> “openSUSE-Current” repos instead.
> And switch all additionally configured repos to their Tumbleweed flavour
> if available (if not, you’d better disable/remove them).
>
> You should also disable/uninstall the Desktop’s updater applet and not
> use YaST->Online Updates.

Not so, you still need to run YaST>Online Updates to get security
updates for packages not replaced by TW. TW does not provide security
patches for all 13.1 packages.

Ken

No, that’s wrong.
“zypper dup” of course also installs the updates/patches from the update repo.

“zypper dup --from Tumbleweed” will of course not do that, but the only officially supported way to use Tumbleweed is “zypper dup” as I wrote.

That’s because of libzypp’s “vendor stickiness”.

You can configure it to treat Tumbleweed equal to the standard repo as mentioned in the Tumbleweed portal I linked to to see all Tumbleweed upgrades:

You will need to allow vendor change from Tumbleweed. This is done by creating a file named Tumbleweed.conf in the /etc/zypp/vendors.d/ directory with the following content:

vendors = suse,opensuse,obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed

Or just set “solver.allowVendorChange = true” in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to make “zypper up”/Apper behave more like “zypper dup”. :wink:

Interesting, and now you mention it, I remember not seeing Tumbleweed’s KDE packages in the notifier (it had other stuff) so I had a good surprise when I followed up with plain old “zypper dup” as KDE 12.x was included.

I tend to avoid --from except on a first clean install, unless rarely something doesn’t install without it. As I mentioned, it’s good for seeing a “bunch of updates”, and like to know of the [now frequent] kernel updates, but not so fussed on Tumbleweed if Apper misses some, especially with all that scrolling in a small panel. :slight_smile:

Slightly annoying is the continual appearance in Apper of the last 13.1 standard kernel update for (from Oss Update). IIRC someone recently on the mailing list suggested setting a higher priority for Tumbleweed repo, but Greg K-H recommended not doing/supporting it, i.e keep all repos at equal priority, and he has been consistent with that all along.

If you uninstall the 13.1 kernel, the update should not be shown anymore I think.

Or you could taboo/lock that update with YaST or zypper.

Just so. :slight_smile:

Seen your other post re vendor stickyness and had seen the wiki statement before, but zypper dup was always supposed to ignore/allow vendor change like openSUSE –> Packman. TW is also a different vendor (as for OBS repos), so why the need for a config statement, what am I missing?

I had definitely uninstalled 13.1 kernel before seeing several of the recent update notifications, but not sure if I had them when it was installed. Perhaps I should reinstall it, it should still be in Update repo with multi-kernel being default, to see if that fixes it. :\

I’m sure the mailing list advised not to use a lock for this. I will need to recheck that.

“zypper dup” does ignore the vendor, yes.

But Apper (and “zypper up”) don’t change the vendor by default, and don’t show updates that would require a vendor change therefore.
By allowing vendor change (or treating openSUSE and Tumbleweed equal) the updater would show all updates, even those that require a vendor change.

You could lock the patch itself in YaST->Online Update f.e. Then that “update” should not be shown anymore.

You should not lock the kernel package itself of course, you wouldn’t get any kernel updates in Tumbleweed either otherwise.

So the “official” method doesn’t require the vendor statement, which is why I didn’t bother to add it previously.

But Apper (and “zypper up”) don’t change the vendor by default, and don’t show updates that would require a vendor change therefore.
By allowing vendor change (or treating openSUSE and Tumbleweed equal) the updater would show all updates, even those that require a vendor change.

Well yes, as for my standard openSUSE installations, although I didn’t consider vendor change with Apper. For Tumbleweed though, the Wiki’s vendor statement is a double-edged instrument, a catch-all for those experimenting with alternative ways to perform updates, and encouraging them to risk it.

You could lock the patch itself in YaST->Online Update f.e. Then that “update” should not be shown anymore.

You should not lock the kernel package itself of course, you wouldn’t get any kernel updates in Tumbleweed either otherwise.

That makes sense. I will try it, thanks.

Well, I didn’t write that wiki page, so I don’t know what the intentions of that particular paragraph might have been.
It doesn’t make any sense with “zypper dup” or “zypper dup --from Tumbleweed” at least.

Maybe the author did have the updater applet in mind and forgot to mention it?

Anyway, this thread started as a question from a newbie if/how to upgrade to Tumbleweed (that’s why I wrote my first reply like I did)
I don’t think it has gone into the right direction… :wink:

More likely it just facilitated a link to the “SDB:Vendor change update” article for completeness and housekeeping.

Anyway, this thread started as a question from a newbie if/how to upgrade to Tumbleweed (that’s why I wrote my first reply like I did)

More or less all answered for the OP by post #2. A bit more in-depth, related discussion is not unusual in Tumbleweed forum threads. Considering such matters continue to be handled on the Factory mailing list should provide a context for that. :wink:

The OP is welcome to return with further queries or feedback.

Yeah I’m getting that :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’ll just forget I ever head about this :open_mouth:

That may be the right decision for now. A good understanding of package management makes Tumbleweed easier, if there are problems when updating. You can read the Wiki articles about that, and practice with YaST, and the main zypper commands (also some rpm commands can be useful) on the standard 13.1 release.

The “zypper dup” command used regularly on Tumbleweed may only get used once per year on the standard release. However it tells you in detail what packages will change (new, updated, and removed) before you confirm/cancel the upgrade.

Tumbleweed gets you newer versions of packages compared to standard openSUSE e.g. KDE (a lot of packages), and the packages are meant to be the packager’s [and author’s] latest stable offerings. Over the years, I’ve seen relatively few serious issues (also depends on one’s hardware) on Tumbleweed generally.

Users who enable several or many additional repos while updating tend to be the ones to get in a real mess. If you stick to the supported repos, you can have a much easier experience.