Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I upgrade from 13.1 to Tumbleweed?

Default Can I upgrade from 13.1 to Tumbleweed?

Hi, I'm using openSUSE 13.1 but would like to upgrade to Tumbleweed. Do I just download Tumbleed DVD, boot it up and click upgrade?

Can it be that simple?

Thanks
    Astralogic

Default Re: Can I upgrade from 13.1 to Tumbleweed?

Quote Originally Posted by Astralogic View Post
    Hi, I'm using openSUSE 13.1 but would like to upgrade to Tumbleweed. Do I just download Tumbleed DVD, boot it up and click upgrade?

Can it be that simple?
    No.
    There is no Tumbleweed DVD AFAIK.

But it's even simpler:
    Just add the Tumbleweed repo and run "sudo zypper dup".
    Of course you should also disable the 13.1 repos and add the "openSUSE-Current" repos instead.
    And switch all additionally configured repos to their Tumbleweed flavour if available (if not, you'd better disable/remove them).

You should also disable/uninstall the Desktop's updater applet and _not_ use YaST->Online Updates.
    The only supported way of keeping Tumbleweed up to date is to regularly run "zypper dup".

For a detailed explanation, see here: (including a 1-click install for the Tumbleweed repos)
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Another thing to note though is that kernel modules installed via packages WILL NOT work with Tumbleweed! (except if they are specifically intended for Tumbleweed of course)
    This includes the nvidia driver. If you want to use that with Tumbleweed, you'll have to install it "the hard way", and either set up dkms or reinstall it after every kernel update (which there are many on Tumbleweed).

So Tumbleweed might not necessarily be the best thing to try for inexperienced users.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You should also disable/uninstall the Desktop's updater applet
    Not necessary if you wish to have a desktop notifier on Tumbleweed, informing you that a bunch of updates have arrived. I keep it (Apper) for that reason on KDE, but I never ever use it to install any updates on my Tumbleweed system.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Not necessary if you wish to have a desktop notifier on Tumbleweed, informing you that a bunch of updates have arrived. I keep it (Apper) for that reason on KDE, but I never ever use it to install any updates on my Tumbleweed system.
    I do use it sometimes. But it didn't "see" the KDE packages in the TW repo, until I did a 'zypper dup --from Tumbleweed'. Now the the updater takes these packages in consideration too when looking for updates.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

On 02/17/2014 06:46 AM, wolfi323 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Astralogic;2625296 Wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm using openSUSE 13.1 but would like to upgrade to Tumbleweed. Do
    >> I just download Tumbleed DVD, boot it up and click upgrade?
    >>
    >> Can it be that simple?
    >>

> No.
    > There is no Tumbleweed DVD AFAIK.
    >
    > But it's even simpler:
    > Just add the Tumbleweed repo and run "sudo zypper dup".
    > Of course you should also disable the 13.1 repos and add the
    > "openSUSE-Current" repos instead.
    > And switch all additionally configured repos to their Tumbleweed flavour
    > if available (if not, you'd better disable/remove them).
    >
    > You should also disable/uninstall the Desktop's updater applet and _not_
    > use YaST->Online Updates.

Not so, you still need to run YaST>Online Updates to get security
    updates for packages not replaced by TW. TW does not provide security
    patches for all 13.1 packages.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    Not so, you still need to run YaST>Online Updates to get security
    updates for packages not replaced by TW.
    No, that's wrong.
    "zypper dup" of course also installs the updates/patches from the update repo.

"zypper dup --from Tumbleweed" will of course _not_ do that, but the only officially supported way to use Tumbleweed is "zypper dup" as I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I do use it sometimes. But it didn't "see" the KDE packages in the TW repo, until I did a 'zypper dup --from Tumbleweed'. Now the the updater takes these packages in consideration too when looking for updates.
    That's because of libzypp's "vendor stickiness".

You can configure it to treat Tumbleweed equal to the standard repo as mentioned in the Tumbleweed portal I linked to to see all Tumbleweed upgrades:
    You will need to allow vendor change from Tumbleweed. This is done by creating a file named Tumbleweed.conf in the /etc/zypp/vendors.d/ directory with the following content:
    Code:
    vendors = suse,opensuse,obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed
    Or just set "solver.allowVendorChange = true" in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to make "zypper up"/Apper behave more like "zypper dup".

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Interesting, and now you mention it, I remember not seeing Tumbleweed's KDE packages in the notifier (it had other stuff) so I had a good surprise when I followed up with plain old "zypper dup" as KDE 12.x was included.

I tend to avoid --from except on a first clean install, unless rarely something doesn't install without it. As I mentioned, it's good for seeing a "bunch of updates", and like to know of the [now frequent] kernel updates, but not so fussed on Tumbleweed if Apper misses some, especially with all that scrolling in a small panel.

Slightly annoying is the continual appearance in Apper of the last 13.1 standard kernel update for (from Oss Update). IIRC someone recently on the mailing list suggested setting a higher priority for Tumbleweed repo, but Greg K-H recommended not doing/supporting it, i.e keep all repos at equal priority, and he has been consistent with that all along.
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Slightly annoying is the continual appearance in Apper of the last 13.1 standard kernel update for (from Oss Update).
    If you uninstall the 13.1 kernel, the update should not be shown anymore I think.

Or you could taboo/lock that update with YaST or zypper.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, that's wrong.
    "zypper dup" of course also installs the updates/patches from the update repo.

"zypper dup --from Tumbleweed" will of course _not_ do that, but the only officially supported way to use Tumbleweed is "zypper dup" as I wrote.
    Just so.

Seen your other post re vendor stickyness and had seen the wiki statement before, but zypper dup was always supposed to ignore/allow vendor change like openSUSE --> Packman. TW is also a different vendor (as for OBS repos), so why the need for a config statement, what am I missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast