Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio beakup

Default Audio beakup

When playing videos I've made, as mp4 (720P/1080P) and DVD ISO images, the audio will occasionally breakup up, just for a split second. I use KDE 4.10.5 "release 1", so I tried IceWM, and it happens there, too, sometimes seems even worse. Using openSuse 12.3 64 bit. I have no idea what causes this, I found no obvious settings to tweak. Is there a way to increase the "priority" (for lack of the proper term) for the audio? Or maybe a system function is interrupting the audio? I have a 6 core CPU, if that makes any difference. I don't want to upgrade KDE or switch to openSuse 13.1 at this time, but maybe there's any easier solution?

P.S. - This didn't happen on openSuse 12.2, so it's not the videos at fault.
    Desktop : Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.2 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Default Re: Audio beakup

I did some more tests, so I have corrected information:

I tried a DVD ISO home video, that played fine, so that might not be a problem....
    The 720P video in question is an ".m2t" not mp4, so I'll re-render to mp4 sometime and re-try. Also, this played fine with mplayer, the problem seems to be xine on that one.

I need to do more testing to be sure the above info is correct, but now I'm thinking it's just a problem with xine, and / or the .m2t format. Those never were a problem in the past, though, and I don't want to re-render all my old .m2t videos (but might anyway). I'll return later when I have more info, but any suggestions are still welcome.
    Desktop : Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.2 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

On 2014-02-16 19:46, HighBloodSugar wrote:

> I need to do more testing to be sure the above info is correct, but now
    > I'm thinking it's just a problem with xine, and / or the .m2t format.
    > Those never were a problem in the past, though, and I don't want to
    > re-render all my old .m2t videos (but might anyway). I'll return later
    > when I have more info, but any suggestions are still welcome.

Try running xine from a terminal, perhaps with the --verbose switch. As
    a wild guess, search to see if it says anything about "real time".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

I tried the .m2t 720P video (29.97 fps by the way, if that matters), and it plays fine in mplayer. I also re-rendered it to H264 MP4, and it has the audio breakup in xine, but not in mplayer. So I guess I found the solution - use mplayer. I still have to try one of my long boring home video DVD ISOs in xine to see if those were really a problem, I may have been mistaken about those. I prefer xine for those, since mplayer doesn't seem to recognize "chapters". I'll come back later after I try that, it's a bit boring, so I won't get to it right now. For what it's worth, a "commercial" DVD as an ISO file worked fine in xine. Well, I didn't play more than 5 minutes worth, but the problem usually happens before that. I have to play it all the way through to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-02-16 19:46, HighBloodSugar wrote:

> I need to do more testing to be sure the above info is correct, but now
    > I'm thinking it's just a problem with xine, and / or the .m2t format.
    > Those never were a problem in the past, though, and I don't want to
    > re-render all my old .m2t videos (but might anyway). I'll return later
    > when I have more info, but any suggestions are still welcome.

Try running xine from a terminal, perhaps with the --verbose switch. As
    a wild guess, search to see if it says anything about "real time".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Here's what I see in the terminal:

Code:
    user@linux-5sff:/data/HomeVideo-HighDef> xine --verbose TheOldBurialGround.m2t
    This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.7.
    (c) 2000-2010 The xine Team.
    Built with xine library 1.2.3 (1.2.3)
    Found xine library version: 1.2.3 (1.2.3).

<Removed CPU info, too much to post here>

main: probing <aadxr3> video output plugin
    main: probing <dxr3> video output plugin
    video_out_dxr3: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0 (No such file or directory)
    main: probing <xv> video output plugin
    video_out_xv: using Xv port 63 from adaptor Radeon Textured Video for hardware colour space conversion and scaling.
    video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the YUY2 format.
    video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the YV12 format.
    video_out_xv: max XvImage size 8192 x 8192
    main: probing <pulseaudio> audio output plugin
    video_out: can't raise nice priority by 2: Operation not permitted
    video_decoder: can't raise nice priority by 1: Operation not permitted
    video_out: can't raise nice priority by 2: Operation not permitted
    osd: error loading font sans with in XDG data directories.
    xv_set_property: property=1, value=0
    video_out_xv: VO_PROP_ASPECT_RATIO(0)
    gui_xine_open_and_play():
            mrl: 'TheOldBurialGround.m2t',
            sub 'NONE',
            start_pos 0, start_time 0, av_offset 0, spu_offset 0.
    xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
    xine: found demuxer plugin: MPEG Transport Stream demuxer
    av_offset=0 pts
    spu_offset=0 pts
    video_out_xv:  b 0  c 0  s 0  [ITU-R 470 BG / SDTV]
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/56-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
    gui_xine_open_and_play():
            mrl: '/usr/share/xine/skins/xine-ui_logo.png',
            sub 'NONE',
            start_pos 0, start_time 0, av_offset 0, spu_offset 0.
    xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
    xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
    av_offset=0 pts
    spu_offset=0 pts

Xine is using the xv backend, maybe that's the problem?
    What is mplayer using?
    Code:
    mplayer videofile |grep VO
    Maybe try to install libxine2 from Packman (that one includes VDPAU support which the version from the standard repo doesn't) and check that libvdpau_r600 is installed (should be by default).
    Xine should use VDPAU (hardware decoding) then which might work better. If not, try to switch the video driver to VDPAU (or Auto should work as well) in Xine's settings ("video" tab, you might have to raise the experience level setting on the "gui" tab for this option to show up though).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Xine is using the xv backend, maybe that's the problem?
    What is mplayer using?
    Code:
    mplayer videofile |grep VO
    Maybe try to install libxine2 from Packman (that one includes VDPAU support which the version from the standard repo doesn't) and check that libvdpau_r600 is installed (should be by default).
    Xine should use VDPAU (hardware decoding) then which might work better. If not, try to switch the video driver to VDPAU (or Auto should work as well) in Xine's settings ("video" tab, you might have to raise the experience level setting on the "gui" tab for this option to show up though).
    I have the packman version installed for xine, but I don't have an nVidia card / chip, it's integrated AMD video, so VDPAU won't work. The video driver is set to auto.

Here's what mplayer shows in the terminal:

Code:
    user@linux-5sff:/data/HomeVideo-HighDef> mplayer TheOldBurialGround.m2t | grep V0
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
    e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
    e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/56-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

[VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.
    I don't know why it shows those errors, it plays the video just fine, and no audio problems. So, I'll stick with mplayer for the videos. Still have to try a DVD ISO image all the way through using xine to see if those are ok, haven't gotten to that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    I have the packman version installed for xine, but I don't have an nVidia card / chip, it's integrated AMD video, so VDPAU won't work.
    With libvdpau_r600 installed VDPAU should work for AMD/ATI graphics based on R600 series chips, which yours is (RV620 to be precise).

But if you really have the Packman version installed, there should be a message about VDPAU on startup, which isn't there in your post.
    At least something like: (that's on my system with a Radeon 9600 card)
    Code:
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r300.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    vo_vdpau: Can't create vdp device : No vdpau implementation.
    So please show the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qi libxine2
    Here's what mplayer shows in the terminal:
    I don't know why it shows those errors, it plays the video just fine, and no audio problems. So, I'll stick with mplayer for the videos. Still have to try a DVD ISO image all the way through using xine to see if those are ok, haven't gotten to that yet.
    I guess mplayer falls back to the standard x11 output (i.e. software decoding, absolutely no hw acceleration) because of the errors.
    Your CPU seems to be fast enough for that, so it's working fine...

You could try to set xine's video driver to "xshm" then as well. Or try any of the other options.

OTOH xine apparently is also using the "pulseaudio" audio driver. Maybe try to set that to "alsa", even if you're using pulseaudio (could be a bug in xine's pulseaudio backend).
    Or maybe even try to disable pulseaudio completely in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration to see if it's related to pulseaudio.

On 2014-02-16 20:06, HighBloodSugar wrote:
    > I tried the .m2t 720P video (29.97 fps by the way, if that matters), and
    > it plays fine in mplayer. I also re-rendered it to H264 MP4, and it has
    > the audio breakup in xine, but not in mplayer.

Not really a solution, both are using a video system that is slower and
    needs more CPU to compensate.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-02-16 20:56, wolfi323 wrote:
    > OTOH xine apparently is also using the "pulseaudio" audio driver. Maybe
    > try to set that to "alsa", even if you're using pulseaudio (could be a
    > bug in xine's pulseaudio backend).

I think there is a buffer size config somewhere in pulse :-?

In xine/setup/engine you can adjust the "number of audio buffers", for
    instance. Might help.

In the posted output xine mentions that it can not increase priority.
    AFAIK this needs to be root, I don't know if somehow a user can be
    allowed that.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast