Thread: Internet through iphone/usb broken in 13.1/kde when it worked with 12.2 : device notifier bug ?

Default Internet through iphone/usb broken in 13.1/kde when it worked with 12.2 : device notifier bug ?

Just upgraded to 13.1.
    Kde 4.11.5
    Iphone 4S with iOS 7 , and connection sharing via usb is turned on.

In 12.2, when i connected the iphone via usb to my laptop, i had _only_ _one_ new device notification.
    And i just had to go in the network manager applet to configure a new wired connection. And it worked perfectly out of the box !
    I just had to confirm on the iphone that i trust this computer with a dedicated notification/check box that appeared automatically on the iphone, when i plugged in the usb iphone cable to the computer.
    Without any problem, without any file editing, without any field to fill, without any box to check somewhere in a hidden window of kde....

In 13.1, when i connect the iphone via usb to my laptop, there are _many_ new device notifications. 5 of them to be accurate :
    1 for the network interface + 4 for the camera !
    Don't know why, but i think this is the origin of the problem. Because then, it is impossible to do anything. The iphone keeps asking if i can trust this computer on and on : i mean, on the iphone, if i confirm that i trust this computer, it asks me again, and again and again... Endlessly.
    Therefore, i cannot do any iphone tethering via usb to connect to the internet with shared connection of the iphone.
    The problem comes from opensuse 13.1 since it worked perfectly a few days ago on opensuse 12.2.
    I suppose it's a problem with the device notifier, or with the background program, hidden behind and whose name i don't know.
    I went into the device notifier settings and tried to tweak some things but i don't understand what it talks about. And there are some settings that can't be erased.

I need this iphone internet connection via usb to work during my travelling hours.
    And yes, i know i can connect via wifi but i don't want it because it kills the iphone battery dramatically quick.
    Moreover, i need to download iphone photos/videos via usb and i can't do it anymore because of this device notifier stuttering.
    This is a regression and i am sure there is a simple way to avoid/repair it.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Internet through iphone/usb broken in 13.1/kde when it worked with 12.2 : device notifier bug ?

According to my research on internet, i see that the problems comes from libimobiledevice/usbmuxd/ios7.0.4 :
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php....22_Alert_Loop

There are a few other posts about the "Trust This Computer" alert loop with linux and iphone.

According to :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1207812
    it looks like libimobiledevice 1.0.6 solves the problem.
    Official release of opensuse has ibimobiledevice 1.0.5 . Will opensuse update to 1.0.6 ?

Default Re: Internet through iphone/usb broken in 13.1/kde when it worked with 12.2 : device notifier bug ?

Blog Entries

I think you mean openSUSE is using 1.1.5 by default. It should be okay to update. In any case you can always roll back if it doesn't work.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 4S running iOS7, and using openSUSE 13.1 (with KDE 4.12.2), and experience the same authentication loop as you describe. However, I can't tether via USB and have always had to use the hotsptot method instead, (but that is a provider-specific restriction).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I think you mean openSUSE is using 1.1.5 by default. It should be okay to update. In any case you can always roll back if it doesn't work.
    I've just upgraded to libimobiledevice4-1.1.6-5.1.x86_64 and it has solved the endless authentication issue!

I've learned something too. Now I can tether via USB (for the first time since owning this device). So, thank you Christophe_deR for prompting me to try

Thanks deano.
    Then, i'm going to try it and will close the thread if it works.

Default [SOLVED] Internet through iphone/usb broken in 13.1/kde when worked with 12.2 :device notifier bug

Great ! It works with this new libimobiledevice 1.0.6 .
    I'm wirting you this through my iphone 3G connexion connected to my laptop with usb !

Thanks to Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) !

Grazie Deano .