Is there a Linux app that will...

Is there a Linux app that will…
– allow me to manually mount and unmount USB devices?

It is assumed you mean USB storage devices. Can you please clarify further? KDE and Gnome can be configured not to automatically mount USB-attached media if desired.

On 2014-02-16 03:46, mattdocs12345 wrote:
>
> Is there a Linux app that will…
> – allow me to manually mount and unmount USB devices?

Of course. That¡s what the command “mount” is for…

If that’s not what you mean, please clarify.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Okay let me be more specific. Every time my laptop boots, openSUSE automatically mounts my USB and SD storage devices. I want to be able to prevent openSUSE from mounting my USB drive on which I have my clonezilla live CD installed so that I accidentally don’t change it’s contents.

As long as it is connected permanently, you can add it to /etc/fstab with the noauto option.

But openSUSE doesn’t mount any USB and SD devices automatically by default.

Do you mean you want to prevent mounting by clicking on the device in the file manager?

And please, tell which Desktop Environment you are using.

You can do that even when it is not connected permanently (maybe you have to add nofail in that case as well, not sure atm).
But apparently this is not what the OP wants IIUC.

I guess an option would be to add an entry to fstab that mounts that USB drive read-only though.
Even with “noauto”, udisks2 (as used by KDE and GNOME) will respect that when you open the drive.

Or change the polkit rules to require the root password to mount or deny it altogether.
Of that’s what you want, then add the following line to /etc/polkit-default-privs.local:

org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount                auth_admin

Or use “no” instead of “auth_admin” to completely disallow mounting.
Then run “sudo /sbin/set_polkit_default_privs” to make that change effective.

On 2014-02-16 23:56, wolfi323 wrote:

> But openSUSE doesn’t mount any USB and SD devices automatically by
> default.

It does. It depends on what desktop you use, but it happened to me a
lot, previously. It also depends on what release you have.

On XFCE, for instance, go to settings, removable drives and media, and
make sure that on the storage tab nothing is ticked. Also check the
other tabs.

On some releases, things could be mounted before you even started a
session, and were owned by root.

A trick I used (with Gnome 2) was create entries for some devices in
fstab, with noauto and nofail. In this case, gnome would not mount them
automatically on hotplug or boot.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Tell with desktop environment you are using. Automatic mounting can generally be disabled. For example, with KDE this behaviour can be configured via the device notifier settings.

likewise in KDE go to

configure desktop > removable devices

and uncheck “enable automatic mounting of removable media”

May I ask if this is a single boot system and did you edit your BIOS?
Because disk booting is also handled by the BIOS (or UEFI on newer systems)

This has nothing to do with booting, but how mounting of removable media is handled.

The OS doesn’t do any automounting since quite some time. (10.x?)
Maybe the DE does, yes (via udisks-glue f.e.), that’s why I asked for the DE he is using.

But at least a standard KDE4 installation (and I think GNOME too) does not mount anything automatically on boot/login or when you connect it (with the default settings, that is).
A drive gets mounted though when you click on it to open it in the file manager, so it might seem like it’s auto-mounted (which in fact it isn’t).

On 2014-02-17 08:36, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2625246 Wrote:

> But at least a standard KDE4 installation (and I think GNOME too) does
> not mount anything automatically (with the default settings, that is).
> A drive gets mounted though when you click on it to open it in the file
> manager, so it might seem like it’s auto-mounted (which in fact it
> isn’t).

As I said, it depends on the version you use. I have reported bugzillas
against automatically mounting devices in the past.

If currently they are not mounted automatically on those desktop, it is
because we fought it :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

And also because most Desktops provide that facility to mount drives now (using udisks/udisks2) I guess. :wink:

On a side note, “autofs” is installed by default (I think; at least it’s in the standard repo), so it is of course possible to set up automounting if one wanted to.
But at least KDE can be configured to automount removable media (using udisks2) as already has been mentioned (can also be configured on a per drive basis).
And then there’s also udisks-glue which can do this without support from the Desktop Environment.

I am using KDE.

When I do go to Configure Desktop –> Removable Devices, I see that *enable mounting of removable media *is unchecked. However at each log in, all of my removable media is still visible in the Dolphin File manager.

Im a little new to Linux. Maybe I just don’t understand what mounting means. What I want is to have my USB drive not available in the Dolphin File manager so that I don’t accidentally delete any files on it. This is where I keep my clonezilla live USB, which I keep always attached, just in case something happens while Im on the road and I need to restore my Linux to original factory settings.

This is a single boot system. I haven’t modified anything in BIOS. I would also much rather have something more convenient that changing BIOS settings.

Yes, it is visible, because it is connected.
But that doesn’t mean it’s mounted or accessible.

If you click on the drive in dolphin, it does get mounted though.

Please have a look back at http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/495535-Is-there-a-Linux-app-that-will?p=2625229#post2625229 for ideas how to prevent (or make it more difficult to do by mistake) the mounting.

Use the mount command to check for mounted media. Only when you click on the folder (pertaining to media) will it become mounted as such.