Network down?

Hi,

On my home network i have 4 computers (OpenSUSE desktop, Windows 7 laptop, OpenSUSE server and test computer). I use a widget “Server Status” to check if my server are on my network. I also have a “Server Status” widget to check if my firewall (installed as a KVM virtual computer on my server) are online. This setup has worked for a long time.

My problem starting a week ago (i think), the widget checking my server indicates that the network connection to the server is down and strangely the widget checking the firewall indicates no problem at all. If I ping the server on any of the installed 4 network cards it don’t answer on either of them. When I restart the network on my server all system works again.

Can anyone give me a hint or solution to this problem?
Is there a way to restart network automatically if it goes down? I have tried to configure “Monit” but with no luck.

rgds
Roland

On 2014-02-15 10:56, Stardoom wrote:
> Can anyone give me a hint or solution to this problem?

Maybe if you try to explain better… I can not visualize your setup.
A drawing?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

When the problem occurs, on each host ping it’s on address (this will indicitate whether the tcp/ip stack of the host is working properly) and ping a host across the network. This will help you pin down the faulty host/nic/cable.

Hints can probably be found in /var/log/messages or /var/log/NetworkManager of the faulty host.