Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Opensuse Host Id

  1. #1

    Default Opensuse Host Id

    Hi, I’m new with OpenSuse, always using fedora without problem but I like the Opensuse stability. Now I have a problem installing a Software, its FlEXlm server I need the host id, and it show me "0000000" in Fedora too, but I use a fix that wont work on Opensuse and I loss the internet connection, its this one.


    1. Edit /etc/default/grub.
    2. At the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line append the text: net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0
    3. Save the file.
    4. Execute the following commands: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
      reboot

      if someone can help me to find a way to fix this problem..
    5. Thanks
    6. Franco

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,107

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    Well, you changed interface names so now you need to go in YaST and configure "new" interfaces under new names. Old configuration is not used anymore.

  3. #3

    Unhappy Re: Opensuse Host Id

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Well, you changed interface names so now you need to go in YaST and configure "new" interfaces under new names. Old configuration is not used anymore.
    Hi thanks for you answer, I cannot understand what you want to say, and what I want is to set the Host id that now is "000000" to the real twelve numbers. if you can explain how can I set the host id right. ill appreciate that.

    Thanks
    Franco.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:46:01 +0000, Franco Ar wrote:

    > arvidjaar;2624488 Wrote:
    >> Well, you changed interface names so now you need to go in YaST and
    >> configure "new" interfaces under new names. Old configuration is not
    >> used anymore.

    >
    > Hi thanks for you answer, I cannot understand what you want to say, and
    > what I want is to set the Host id that now is "000000" to the real
    > twelve numbers. if you can explain how can I set the host id right. ill
    > appreciate that.
    >
    > Thanks Franco.


    Do you mean the mac address of the network card?

    Try:

    /sbin/ifconfig

    or

    ip link

    to get that address.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:46:01 +0000, Franco Ar wrote:

    > arvidjaar;2624488 Wrote:
    >> Well, you changed interface names so now you need to go in YaST and
    >> configure "new" interfaces under new names. Old configuration is not
    >> used anymore.

    >
    > Hi thanks for you answer, I cannot understand what you want to say, and
    > what I want is to set the Host id that now is "000000" to the real
    > twelve numbers. if you can explain how can I set the host id right. ill
    > appreciate that.
    >
    > Thanks Franco.


    Do you mean the mac address of the network card?

    Try:

    /sbin/ifconfig

    or

    ip link

    to get that address.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    Hi Yes, But with some software license server like flexlm it show a blank host id. but anyway I fix it. I use the same way as fedora but in opensuse I cannot connect to internet when I do that, So i need to re-configure manually. Here is the link to the fix, I use the last method.
    http://www.schrodinger.com/kb/1649

    Thanks you again!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    I got the same problem in openSuSe 12.3: gethostid just results in 00000000 as does the hostid commad, while '/sbin/ifconfig -a' shows devices eth0, eth1 and wlan0 with their real hardware addresses.
    So what is gethostid querying?
    If ifconfiog shows the eth* device names, I would think that this is not the result of device naming changes - or am I wrong and is ifconfig just translating the new names to the old ones?

    The problem is with any software using a node-locked license that needs a result from gethostid different from all zeros. Everything worked fine under my previous openSuSE installation.

    Please detail what method worked (which one is the last method?)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    On 2014-07-30 11:16, gollmer wrote:
    >
    > I got the same problem in openSuSe 12.3: gethostid just results in
    > 00000000 as does the hostid commad, while '/sbin/ifconfig -a' shows
    > devices eth0, eth1 and wlan0 with their real hardware addresses.
    > So what is gethostid querying?


    I don't see any command "gethostid" :-?

    "hostid" does exist, but the scarce documentation does not say how it is
    calculated:

    info coreutils 'hostid invocation':

    On that system, the 32-bit quantity happens to be
    closely related to the system's Internet address,
    but that isn't always the case.


    There are 3 man pages for "gethostid": it is not a command, but a
    function declared in <unistd.h>

    There you read what it is:

    DESCRIPTION
    gethostid() and sethostid() respectively get or set
    a unique 32-bit identifier for the current machine.
    The 32-bit identifier is intended to be unique among
    all UNIX systems in existence. This normally resem-
    bles the Internet address for the local machine, as
    returned by gethostbyname(3), and thus usually never
    needs to be set.

    NOTES
    In the glibc implementation, the hostid is stored in
    the file /etc/hostid. (In glibc versions before
    2.2, the file /var/adm/hostid was used.)

    In the glibc implementation, if gethostid() cannot
    open the file containing the host ID, then it
    obtains the hostname using gethostname(2), passes
    that hostname to gethostbyname_r(3) in order to
    obtain the host's IPv4 address, and returns a value
    obtained by bit-twiddling the IPv4 address. (This
    value may not be unique.)

    BUGS
    It is impossible to ensure that the identifier is
    globally unique.



    > The problem is with any software using a node-locked license that needs
    > a result from gethostid different from all zeros. Everything worked fine
    > under my previous openSuSE installation.


    See above... It is an invented number, and you can change it.



    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #8

    Cool Re: Opensuse Host Id

    Thanks for the reply.
    I found that the hostid uswedf by flexlm is NOT the one returned by hostid or the gehostid function (which could be changed to an arbitrary string, though on my 12.3 system these fundktion only return 8 hexadecimal digits, while the real hostid has 12). Instead felxlm gets the HWADDR of eth0. And this weas the only problem with my installation - thoug it is the same computer with 3 NICs, the ordering if the interfaces had changed and thus another hostid was delivered.
    The solution for me was to just swap the eth* names in
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    Of course this odering helps with flexlm problems only if the NICs present ion the machine are still the same but not, if the previous eth0 network card is exchanged for another one having a diferent HWADDR.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    On 2014-07-30 16:36, gollmer wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > I found that the hostid uswedf by flexlm is NOT the one returned by
    > hostid or the gehostid function (which could be changed to an arbitrary
    > string, though on my 12.3 system these fundktion only return 8
    > hexadecimal digits, while the real hostid has 12). Instead felxlm gets
    > the HWADDR of eth0.


    Curious.

    > And this weas the only problem with my installation
    > - thoug it is the same computer with 3 NICs, the ordering if the
    > interfaces had changed and thus another hostid was delivered.
    > The solution for me was to just swap the eth* names in
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    > Of course this odering helps with flexlm problems only if the NICs
    > present ion the machine are still the same but not, if the previous eth0
    > network card is exchanged for another one having a diferent HWADDR.


    If that HWADDR is the MAC address, it can be rewritten. I have not done
    that in ages, I'm unsure if it depends on the particular hardware or
    driver, or how exactly to do it, but if I recall correctly, it was with
    mii-diag, mii-tool, or ethtool.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,357
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Opensuse Host Id

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-07-30 16:36, gollmer wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > I found that the hostid uswedf by flexlm is NOT the one returned by
    > hostid or the gehostid function (which could be changed to an arbitrary
    > string, though on my 12.3 system these fundktion only return 8
    > hexadecimal digits, while the real hostid has 12). Instead felxlm gets
    > the HWADDR of eth0.


    Curious.

    > And this weas the only problem with my installation
    > - thoug it is the same computer with 3 NICs, the ordering if the
    > interfaces had changed and thus another hostid was delivered.
    > The solution for me was to just swap the eth* names in
    > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    > Of course this odering helps with flexlm problems only if the NICs
    > present ion the machine are still the same but not, if the previous eth0
    > network card is exchanged for another one having a diferent HWADDR.


    If that HWADDR is the MAC address, it can be rewritten. I have not done
    that in ages, I'm unsure if it depends on the particular hardware or
    driver, or how exactly to do it, but if I recall correctly, it was with
    mii-diag, mii-tool, or ethtool.
    Hi
    With macchanger...
    http://software.opensuse.org/package...erm=macchanger
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •