Thread: Opensuse 13.1 Arduino serialport greyed out

Default Opensuse 13.1 Arduino serialport greyed out

Hello,

I have spent a few days messing with this problem but just can't figure it out. I have an Arduino Uno, but I am unable to upload anything, because the "tools>serialport" in my Arduino program is greyed out.
    I understand that the problem begins with the Arduino board introducing itself as ttyACM0 (I checked it through the device viewer), which Arduino software can't recognize. But I don't understand what, why or how must I install for it to work.
    I have searched around and found several topics on this, but I am either too noob to follow any of the Instructions or they just don't suit my situation.

Can anyone help me?

I have the software version "Arduino 1.5.5.". I think I tried Arduino 1.0.5. before, didn't work.
    Also, if it's of any importance, I have the KDE interface.

And I think that the board and cable are all good, because everything worked out of the box with Arduino software on my XP.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 Arduino serialport greyed out

It may be a permissions issue. Check ownerhip of /dev/ttyACM0
    Code:
    l /dev/ttyACM*
    It will probably require the user to be a member of the 'dialout' group for r/w access to that serial port.

YaST >> Security and Users >> User and Group Management, select the user then 'Edit', navigate to 'Details' folder and add 'dialout' group. Click Okay, Okay, then logout and back in again. Check membership with
    Code:
    groups
    Then launch your application. Report back.

Blog Entries

This might also be helpful to you

http://playground.arduino.cc//Linux/OpenSUSE

I went to the location:
    "YaST >> Security and Users >> User and Group Management >> Edit >> Details" and checked the box next to "dialout".

I restarted the computer and the "tools>serialport" is still grayed out in Arduino.

I wrote "groups" in the terminal, it delivered the following: "users dialout"

When I wrote " l /dev/ttyACM*", it replied "crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Feb 14 20:29 /dev/ttyACM0"

Finally solved the problem, thanks a lot, deano_ferrari!

It was mentioned in http://playground.arduino.cc//Linux/OpenSUSE that I need to add myself not only to "dialout", but also "uucp" and "lock".
    I had read that before, but didn't understand what that means at all. Thanks to your instructions, deano_ferrari, I managed to do it and now everything works just fine sofar. I can upload stuff now.

Thanks again for the support!