Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known as btsync......

  1. #1

    Default OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known as btsync......

    I am new to OpenSuse 13.1 so I may be overlooking something. I use btsync top sync folders between machines on my network and server. I have disabled the firewall and tried various different ways to run this and they all end with the same result.... [20140211 22:26:38.958] Unable to listen for HTTP traffic on port 8888.

    Then further in the log file I get this:

    [20140211 22:26:40.284] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.13:8200/rootDesc.xml": (-2)
    [20140211 22:26:41.167] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.189:8089/": (-2)
    [20140211 22:26:42.963] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
    [20140211 22:26:45.082] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.13:8200/rootDesc.xml": (-2)
    [20140211 22:26:46.096] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.189:8089/": (-2)

    I am figuring I have missed something in OpenSuse 13.1. I have used linux for about 15 years and used quite a few different distros. I was convinced by a friend to drop Ubuntu and move to OpenSuse. So far love it except this issue. Any and all help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,104

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known asbtsync......

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 04:56:03 +0000, dtruesdale wrote:

    > I am new to OpenSuse 13.1 so I may be overlooking something. I use
    > btsync top sync folders between machines on my network and server. I
    > have disabled the firewall and tried various different ways to run this
    > and they all end with the same result.... [20140211 22:26:38.958] Unable
    > to listen for HTTP traffic on port 8888.
    >
    > Then further in the log file I get this:
    >
    > [20140211 22:26:40.284] UPnP: Device error
    > "http://172.16.8.13:8200/rootDesc.xml": (-2)
    > [20140211 22:26:41.167] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.189:8089/":
    > (-2)
    > [20140211 22:26:42.963] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass,
    > retrying.
    > [20140211 22:26:45.082] UPnP: Device error
    > "http://172.16.8.13:8200/rootDesc.xml": (-2)
    > [20140211 22:26:46.096] UPnP: Device error "http://172.16.8.189:8089/":
    > (-2)
    >
    > I am figuring I have missed something in OpenSuse 13.1. I have used
    > linux for about 15 years and used quite a few different distros. I was
    > convinced by a friend to drop Ubuntu and move to OpenSuse. So far love
    > it except this issue. Any and all help is appreciated.


    I can tell you that it works on 13.1, as I use it on a few systems here.

    If it cant' listen on port 8888, it's not a firewall issue, it's that
    something else is using the port.

    Try:

    sudo lsof -i -n | grep 8888

    and see what it says is using the port.

    I show on my system that there's an ephemeral port in use, 3838, and
    8888. Opening 8888 isn't necessary (and unless you're on a secure
    private network, generally not recommended because the web interface is
    then available to anyone, compromising the hashes used to sync data).

    The UPnP errors aren't related to btsync, as it doesn't use port 8089.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,104

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known asbtsync......

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 05:00:28 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

    > sudo lsof -i -n | grep 8888


    Correction:

    sudo lsof -i -P | grep 8888

    (-n suppresses hostnames, -P suppresses port names, which is what we need
    here)

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  4. #4

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known as btsync......

    Thank you Jim, I ran that and this is what I got back. All the ports are outbound and yes this is on a secure network with an Astaro box now known as UTM at the head.

    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 33u IPv4 1278486 0t0 TCP *:8888 (LISTEN)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 68u IPv4 4052774 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:48989->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 69u IPv4 4045364 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:47642->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 74u IPv4 4045368 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:47644->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 76u IPv4 4052775 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:48990->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 89u IPv4 4044464 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:47626->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)
    firefox 29412 dtruesdale 104u IPv4 4044473 0t0 TCP 172.16.8.107:47635->172.16.8.13:8888 (ESTABLISHED)

    I can not open any port I use in the sync.conf file. I thought it was the firewall turned it off but the nic is set to internal network. I thought it was maybe apparmor, that didn't have anything. When this box was ubuntu it was running. Since the switch I have not gotten it to work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,104

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known asbtsync......

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 05:46:01 +0000, dtruesdale wrote:

    > Thank you Jim, I ran that and this is what I got back. All the ports are
    > outbound and yes this is on a secure network with an Astaro box now
    > known as UTM at the head.
    >
    > firefox 29412 dtruesdale 33u IPv4 1278486 0t0 TCP *:8888
    > (LISTEN)


    This is the one that's causing the problem, but very strange that firefox
    is *listening* for a connection there.

    If you connect to it from FF, what do you get back?

    I would try starting btsync with Firefox not running and see what comes
    back.

    The message that you're seeing isn't a firewall message - it's
    specifically that the port is in use. btsync (like any TCP listener
    application) isn't going to care if the firewall is blocking the port -
    in fact, that is the preferred configuration because of the security
    issue I mentioned earlier (I also have the port open in my own network
    because it's a secured network).

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #6

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known asbtsync......

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 05:46:01 +0000, dtruesdale wrote:

    > Thank you Jim, I ran that and this is what I got back. All the ports are
    > outbound and yes this is on a secure network with an Astaro box now
    > known as UTM at the head.
    >
    > firefox 29412 dtruesdale 33u IPv4 1278486 0t0 TCP *:8888
    > (LISTEN)


    This is the one that's causing the problem, but very strange that firefox
    is *listening* for a connection there.

    If you connect to it from FF, what do you get back?

    I would try starting btsync with Firefox not running and see what comes
    back.

    The message that you're seeing isn't a firewall message - it's
    specifically that the port is in use. btsync (like any TCP listener
    application) isn't going to care if the firewall is blocking the port -
    in fact, that is the preferred configuration because of the security
    issue I mentioned earlier (I also have the port open in my own network
    because it's a secured network).

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    Found it Firefox Auto Extension installer, don't remember installing it. It was using port 8888. Thank you sir solved.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,104

    Default Re: OpenSuse 13.1 and BitTorrent Sync otherwise known asbtsync......

    On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 06:26:02 +0000, dtruesdale wrote:

    > Found it Firefox Auto Extension installer, don't remember installing it.
    > It was using port 8888. Thank you sir solved.


    Fantastic!

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •