Thread: Samba Server Won't Start Missing Dependencies and AppArmor is not installed

Unhappy Samba Server Won't Start Missing Dependencies and AppArmor is not installed

Setting up a Headless Server.

Installed Samba via http://en.opensuse.org/Samba

Code:
    systemctl start smbd nmb
    Error from Journalctl -xl
    Code:
    -- Logs begin at Mon 2014-02-10 14:42:00 EST, end at Mon 2014-02-10 14:47:27 EST. --
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libcliauth.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsecrets3.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libpopt_samba3.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba3-util.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba-sockets.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsmbd_shim.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server smbd[2044]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsmbd_base.so: version `SAMBA_4.1.4_18.1_3180_SUSE_OS13.1_X86_64' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server systemd[1]: smb.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Feb 10 14:47:27 server systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.
    -- Subject: Unit smb.service has failed
    Saw that there was an issue with apparmor and Samba installing BUT apparmor was never installed on server. Have tried to install samba by two different repos and get the same error.

Thanks and ready to post a bug but want to see if there is a "quick fix" my Google Fu missed.

Default Re: Samba Server Won't Start Missing Dependencies and AppArmor is not installed

Quote Originally Posted by mtelesha View Post
    Saw that there was an issue with apparmor and Samba installing BUT apparmor was never installed on server. Have tried to install samba by two different repos and get the same error.

Thanks and ready to post a bug but want to see if there is a "quick fix" my Google Fu missed.
    This looks to me like you have packages from different repos installed.

I would suggest to remove _all_ additional repos you added, and then run "zypper dup". Samba should work then I suppose.

Or if you want to install Samba from one of those additional repos, make sure you install _all_ Samba-related packages from there, like explained here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_ch..._Vendor_change

Default Re: Samba Server Won't Start Missing Dependencies and AppArmor is not installed

I would suggest to remove _all_ additional repos you added, and then run "zypper dup". Samba should work then I suppose.
    I thought I had done that when I installed Samba BUT it did install some packages after zypper dup.

Well now I have:
    Code:
    Failed to issue method call: Unti smbd.service failed to load: No such file or directory
    When I zypper in samba I am told it is installed. Reinstalled and same issue.

Default [SOLVED] - Solution

How to Install Samba STABLE from Samba Repo and not the standard Repo

Follow this wiki http://en.opensuse.org/Samba I used 13.1 STABLE

Added Repo
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_13.1/network:samba:STABLE.repo
    Code:
    # zypper -r network_samba_STABLE dup
    Code:
    # zypper -r network_samba_STABLE dup
    Should be ready to go

To Start
    Code:
    # systemctl start smbd nmb
    To have automatically loaded at boot
    Code:
    # systemctl enable smbd nmb
    SOLUTION to my issue
    Some reason I had different dependencies in my install base

Code:
    # zypper se samba
    Code:
    # zypper rm
    everything listed installed in zypper se samba[/CODE]

Code:
    # zypper lr
    to find the samba repo

Code:
    # zypper -r # samba
    # being the number repo for samba

Default AW: Re: Samba Server Won't Start Missing Dependencies and AppArmor is not installed

I thought I had done that when I installed Samba BUT it did install some packages after zypper dup.

Well now I have:
    Code:
    Failed to issue method call: Unti smbd.service failed to load: No such file or directory
    When I zypper in samba I am told it is installed. Reinstalled and same issue.
    The service is called smb.service, not smbd.service.

So try this to start it:
    Code:
    systemctl start smb.service
    Or to start it automatically at boot:
    Code:
    systemctl enable smb.service
    Or just use YaST->System->Services Manager.

Default Samba Server

Samba Server = smbd

Default Re: Samba Server

Samba Server = smbd
    Yes, I know. And the Samba Name Server is nmbd, although you did use nmb there.

But the systemd service is called "smb.service", not "smbd.service" as I wrote.
    So use "smb.service" for systemctl.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, I know. And the Samba Name Server is nmbd, although you did use nmb there.

But the systemd service is called "smb.service", not "smbd.service" as I wrote.
    So use "smb.service" for systemctl.
    WHY did this get setup this way? Seems that calling for smbd server and not smb which means smb client to me? This doesn't makes sense to me.

I will need to add that to the wiki on OpenSUSE

WHY did this get setup this way? Seems that calling for smbd server and not smb which means smb client to me? This doesn't makes sense to me.
    WHY I don't know.
    But smb.service starts smbd, so that's exactly what you want.
    And nmb.service starts nmbd.

And it's consistent with the sysvinit scripts in earlier versions, where rcsmb and /etc/init.d/smb were used.

I will need to add that to the wiki on OpenSUSE
    This one?
    http://en.opensuse.org/Samba

This already does say:
    Code:
    systemctl start smb nmb
    and
    Code:
    systemctl enable smb nmb
    (the ".service" can be omitted)

Seems that calling for smbd server and not smb which means smb client to me?
    Btw, the samba client is called "smbclient" since ages, and that is no systemd service.