Thread: No Networking after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME)

Default No Networking after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME)

I just wanted to give openSUSE another try, but it failed.
    Networking is not available after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME).
    "The system network services are not compatible with this version." it says at opening 'Network Settings'.
    The hardware is recognised tho.

PS
    With this post I just wanted to help the openSUSE community to prevent such embarrassing bugs in the future.
    If you need more information or log entries, I will provide it to you.
    If you think, I should report this issue as a bug-report, please tell me, I will do so.

BUT PLEASE. Do not advise me with command-line tricks... it's not the point, because networking should work out of the box!

Default Re: No Networking after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME)

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    I just wanted to give openSUSE another try, but it failed.
    Networking is not available after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME).
    "The system network services are not compatible with this version." it says at opening 'Network Settings'.
    The hardware is recognised tho.
    Does it work if you switch to "User controlled using NetworkManager" in YaST->Network Devices->Global Options?

This is needed if you want to use GNOME's NetworkManager applet, and it's only activated by default if a wireless device is found during installation AFAIK.

If "Traditional method with ifup" is enabled, you have to configure your network connections in YaST instead.

Default Re: No Networking after fresh installation of openSUSE 13.1 (GNOME)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Does it work if you switch to "User controlled using NetworkManager" in YaST->Network Devices->Global Options?

This is needed if you want to use GNOME's NetworkManager applet, and it's only activated by default if a wireless device is found during installation AFAIK.

If "Traditional method with ifup" is enabled, you have to configure your network connections in YaST instead.

Hi there

i use Suse in 2 computers; in one it worker "out of the box" and in other it worked just as you recomend, by using YaST; it took only seconds to activate an usuported manufacturer and start browsing.

in my experience Suse holds internet contections better than any other linux (obviously much better than Windows).

cheers