Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird: Copy email accounts from Windows to Linux?

Default Re: Thunderbird: Copy email accounts from Windows to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Astralogic View Post
    Hi, I use Thunderbird and in Windows I can copy the AppData/Local/Mozilla and the AppData/Roaming/Mozilla folders and completely tranfer the whole application profile incluising all email accounts.

I'd like to copy these files to my Linux installation of Thunderbird to import my email accounts.Does anyone know where to put the files?

Thanks
    Astralogic
    I have the Thunderbird profile in a common partition (NTFS partition, in my case) and have set the profiles.ini both in Windows and in openSUSE to point to that profile.

I have been running Thunderbird that way for a couple of years without any problems, both Windows and Linux share the same settings and same mailboxes.

In openSUSE, your profile is in your user home directory in the .thunderbird directory (if you are using Dolphin, you will need to go to View & check Show Hidden Files to see it).

You can place that profile folder anywhere you have permissions.

If you set the profile path in Windows and in Linux to point to the same place (obviously, Windows will have a different name for the drive and thus a slightly different path to get to the same place), you can use the common profile folder in both Windows and Linux on a dual-boot system. Except, since Linux reads FAT and NTFS easily, while Windows doesn't read Linux filesystems without a struggle, you would want that common place to be on a FAT or NTFS partition.

Your profile.ini file (you can edit it in KWrite) should read like the following:

Code:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=0
    Path=/var/run/media/yourusername/path/to/your/profiles/profile_directory_name
    If you want more than one profile, you can add directories and add additional profiles in this file. If you do that, you will be presented with a dialogue to choose which profile to load when you start Thunderbird.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

I followed this and it worked perfectly, not one single thing went wrong This is the way to use Thunderbird in Windows and Linuzx with the exact same profile, and it's easy too. Thanks!

I followed this and it worked perfectly, not one single thing went wrong This is the way to use Thunderbird in Windows and Linuzx with the exact same profile, and it's easy too. Thanks!
    Excellent!

My methodology also originated from Mozillazine, back when Thunderbird was << ver 10.0
    It would appear that time, used need and 16 versions later life is much simpler.
    Desk: i7-4790K Leap 15.1(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0
    Lap: HPDV7T i7 Leap 15.0(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I have the Thunderbird profile in a common partition (NTFS partition, in my case) and have set the profiles.ini both in Windows and in openSUSE to point to that profile.

I have been running Thunderbird that way for a couple of years without any problems, both Windows and Linux share the same settings and same mailboxes.

In openSUSE, your profile is in your user home directory in the .thunderbird directory (if you are using Dolphin, you will need to go to View & check Show Hidden Files to see it).

You can place that profile folder anywhere you have permissions.

If you set the profile path in Windows and in Linux to point to the same place (obviously, Windows will have a different name for the drive and thus a slightly different path to get to the same place), you can use the common profile folder in both Windows and Linux on a dual-boot system. Except, since Linux reads FAT and NTFS easily, while Windows doesn't read Linux filesystems without a struggle, you would want that common place to be on a FAT or NTFS partition.

Your profile.ini file (you can edit it in KWrite) should read like the following:

Code:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=0
    Path=/var/run/media/yourusername/path/to/your/profiles/profile_directory_name
    If you want more than one profile, you can add directories and add additional profiles in this file. If you do that, you will be presented with a dialogue to choose which profile to load when you start Thunderbird.
    I'd like to do this, I will attempt it, if I run into problems I'll post back

Edit: OMG I can't remember where the profiles.ini file is :/

On Linux system, you'll find it at ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    Desk: i7-4790K Leap 15.1(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0
    Lap: HPDV7T i7 Leap 15.0(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0

It is in your Users directory on the System drive in Windows.

Also, the Mozilla support pages will tell you precisely where it is in your particular Windows version.

And, you can do the same thing with Firefox.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

It is in your Users directory on the System drive in Windows.

Also, the Mozilla support pages will tell you precisely where it is in your particular Windows version.

And, you can do the same thing with Firefox.
    I mean I'm trying to find profile.ini in Suse so I can write in the path to my Windows/NTFS mounted profile.

On 2014-02-13 11:36, Astralogic wrote:

> I mean I'm trying to find profile.ini in Suse so I can write in the path
    > to my Windows/NTFS mounted profile.

Code:
    ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    There is an 's'.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

I mean I'm trying to find profile.ini in Suse so I can write in the path to my Windows/NTFS mounted profile.
    I gave you the Windows one, because I had already given you the Linux location in my first post, so I thought you already had it.

I imagine by now you have found it.

From my first post here:

And cmcgrath responded:

On Linux system, you'll find it at ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    And, now, I see Robin Listas has joined in our chorus:

> I mean I'm trying to find profile.ini in Suse so I can write in the path
    > to my Windows/NTFS mounted profile.

Code:
    ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    There is an 's'.
    So, now, when you report where you found it, we should have 4-part harmony, right? (Tee-hee-hee!).
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

So, now, when you report where you found it, we should have 4-part harmony, right? (Tee-hee-hee!).
    *facepalm*

Found it, modified it, sorted it. All works fine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast