OpenSUSE 13.1 Canon ImageClass MF4370DN Support / Installation

I would appreciate some help with my attempt get a network based Canon ImageClass MF4370DN printer to work from my OpenSuse install.

I’ve taken a number of stabs at getting this to work, regrettably without success. To begin at the beginning:

1. Grabbed “Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V270_us_EN” from the Canon web site and extracted it on my system.
  2. The Readme states:
    To use this printer driver, you need Ghostscript including common APIs.
    Before installing the driver, confirm that Ghostscript is installed. You can
    do this using the following command in a terminal program such as GNOME
    Terminal.
    % gs -h | grep opvp
  3. On my system, that returns nothing
  4. The Common Open Printing System web site mentions the same command (#2 above) for checking presence of the “OpenPrinting Driver Interface”. Their OS Status page lists OpenSUSE up to v11 and indicates “already present” (not sure what that means, my guess is that the required packages are part of the distro’s repository).
  5. When I do a search for “ghost” in the YaST Software Management tool, all but 2 packages (ghostscript-devel, Ghostview) show installed (as one of my troubleshooting steps, I had installed a few of the packages that weren’t default (ghostscript-cjk, ghostscript-fonts, textlive-epstopdf)
  6. While I couldn’t get the noted (#2) pre-requisite figured out, I hoped that “already present” (#4) had carried over to OpenSuse 13.1 and that, given that the instructions were a bit dated, I could still proceed with the installation.
  7. The Canon HTML installation instructions are to:# rpm -ivh [file name of common module for CUPS drivers]
    and

rpm -ivh [file name of the UFR II printer driver module]

… and if I do that in a SU terminal, it (using their 64bit drivers) it shows a number of unmet dependencies.
However, simply double clicking the RPM files in Dolphin, gives me an installation success message (no idea if that really meant they were installed and along with modules they depended on).
8. When using the YaST printer wizard, none of the ImageClass MF devices show up as a choice to pick from. I tried USB connecting the printer and get a “Missing Printer Driver” error message.
9. I tried adding the printer by browsing to the PPM file (extracted from the RPM packages) for the MF4390 (which covers the MF4370 as well) and it complains about

CNCUPSMF4390ZS.ppd: FAIL
FAIL Bad Resolution choice 600
REF: Page 84, section 5.9
FAIL Missing cupsFilter file “/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca”.
WARN Size “Monarch” should be the Adobe standard name “EnvMonarch”.
WARN Size “Com10” should be the Adobe standard name “Env10”.
WARN Size “dl_envelope” should be the Adobe standard name “EnvDL”.
WARN Size “Envelope_C5” should be the Adobe standard name “EnvC5”.
WARN PCFileName longer than 8.3 in violation of PPD spec.
REF: Pages 61-62, section 5.3.

Quite frankly, I’ve run out of ideas. I’ve been using various distros casually for a number of years but really don’t understand the underlying guts. The print driver from Canon is fairly recent (June 2013) and it boggles my mind that this is proving so difficult to get going. My guess is that I must be missing the obvious.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I don’t own Canon hardware, so I can only offer general advice. Starting over from the top, in an effort to assist I downloaded the unfied driver from the Canon site

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/Laser/LaserBase_MF_series/i-SENSYS_MF4370dn.aspx

I then right-clicked on ‘01371en_linuxufrII_0207.zip’ and extracted it. From there, I navigated to the unpacked folder, right-clicked on the ‘cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm’ and proceeded to install with the package manager. (This will take care of any dependencies). That finished with no errors. Next, I installed ‘cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm’ the same way. Once that completed, I restarted CUPS (as root) with

rccups restart

I don’t have this printer, so I could only do a ‘dummy’ install. I generally use the CUPS web interface (via my browser) using

http://localhost:631/admin

I authenticated with ‘root’ and my root password, then selected ‘Add Printer’ (for manual configuration).

I pretended to configure a network printer using ‘socket://test’, and followed the prompts given, selecting ‘Canon’ for make and Canon MF-4360-4390 ver 2.7 en’ for model. This completed with no errors. I hope that helps you.

Thank you so much for these clear instructions, Deano.

I tried to work my way back to see where things failed for me:

1. connected to the cups web interface (I had not heard of this method before, quite interesting) but didn’t find the printer in the selection.
  2. tried right clicking the “cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm” and selected “Open with/Install Remove Software”, that gave me an error message; right clicked again, this time selected “Open with/Apper Installer” ; repeated with cndrvcups-ufr2-us-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm. Got a “File installed successfully” message for both. I validated what double clicking the files does (see my original step 7) and it appears to pass them to “Apper”. In other words, so far no difference to what I had originally done.
  3. Restarted cups as per your instructions. Repeated step 1: Same results
  4. Downloaded the driver package from your link (the one I had grabbed was a .gz file). Followed your instructions on extracting, installing (no errors).
  5. Repeated step 3 above: Same results.

Here are the details I use in the CUPS admin web interface:
Add printer:
Connection: socket://192.168.65.109:9100
Name: Canon@192.168.65.109
Description: Canon MF4370DN

It seems that, despite the “success” message from the installers, these drivers are not present (usable?) on my system.
Are you using the same distro as I am?
What does the the “% gs -h | grep opvp” command (#2 in my original steps) produce on your system?

Thanks again for your help.

Okay, so the packages are both installed. Verify with

# rpm -qa|grep cndr

Here are the details I use in the CUPS admin web interface:
Add printer:
Connection: socket://192.168.65.109:9100
Name: Canon@192.168.65.109
Description: Canon MF4370DN

It seems that, despite the “success” message from the installers, these drivers are not present (usable?) on my system.[/QUOTE]
Hmm…do you have a ppd in /etc/cups/ppd/ directory pertaining to the Canon printer?

ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/

The correct ppd can be selected manually during configuration (Navigate to /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSMF4390ZK.ppd)

Are you using the same distro as I am?

I’m using openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit)

What does the the “% gs -h | grep opvp” command (#2 in my original steps) produce on your system?

The actual command is

gs -h | grep opvp

The ‘%’ is a prompt.

# rpm -qa|grep cndr

Goes straight back to the prompt (and yes, I did omit the leading “#” :shame:, also tested greping a different string and it showed installed packages)

Hmm…do you have a ppd in /etc/cups/ppd/ directory pertaining to the Canon printer?

ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/

Returns:
total 0

The correct ppd can be selected manually during configuration (Navigate to /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSMF4390ZK.ppd)

ls /usr/share/cups/model/

Returns:
OpenPrintingPPDs Postscript-level2.ppd.gz gutenprint pxlcolor.ppd
Postscript-level1.ppd.gz Postscript.ppd.gz manufacturer-PPDs pxlmono.ppd

The actual command is

gs -h | grep opvp

The ‘%’ is a prompt.

Ouch! :shame: What was I thinking?
Ok, returns:
oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw pcl3 pcx16 pcx24b

As I suspected, you don’t have the packages installed then. Please use YaST to install them. (You may need to kill Apper first.) Alternatively, you can do this with zypper (CLI package manager)

zypper in /path/to/cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm

For example

zypper in /home/dean/Downloads/uk_eng/64-bit_Driver/RPM/cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64.rpm
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  cndrvcups-common 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 1.4 MiB. After the operation, additional 3.7 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64                       (1/1),   1.4 MiB (  3.7 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving package cndrvcups-common-2.70-1.x86_64                       (1/1),   1.4 MiB (  3.7 MiB unpacked)
(1/1) Installing: cndrvcups-common-2.70-1 .............................................................[done]

Then install ‘cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-2.70-1.x86_64’ the same way.

OMG! I think I feel sick…

With the 64-bit packages not installing, I eventually started to wonder… if I might be running 32-bit.

So, I checked:

uname -a

Reports:
Linux linux-i1eq 3.11.10-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 3 09:41:24 UTC 2014 (750023e) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

… and KInfocenter reports:

Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop

openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (i586)

… now, why it sees the entire 16GB RAM in this system is beyond me (coming from Windows, that is what I had used as the check as to whether or not I was running 64-bit).

To validate, I installed the 32-bit drivers and they went on just fine (just double clicked them in the right sequence and that was all). From start to finish (test page done by printer) less than 5 minutes.

This is a very recent install and, to state the obvious, I must have burnt installation media from the wrong ISO (I mostly run 32bit virtual machines for testing).

I’m so sorry for wasting your time with this. Please accept my apologies.

I suppose the good news is that I haven’t put much work into this install yet, so blowing it away won’t really hurt that much and I learned a fair bit in the process.

To validate, I installed the 32-bit drivers and they went on just fine (just double clicked them in the right sequence and that was all). From start to finish (test page done by printer) less than 5 minutes.

This is a very recent install and, to state the obvious, I must have burnt installation media from the wrong ISO (I mostly run 32bit virtual machines for testing).

I’m so sorry for wasting your time with this. Please accept my apologies.

No worries. This thread will be useful to others who come searching. Always pays to check before you install the drivers :slight_smile:

I suppose the good news is that I haven’t put much work into this install yet, so blowing it away won’t really hurt that much and I learned a fair bit in the process.

Yep, the learning is valuable, and the second time around will be easier. All the best with this.