Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

  1. #1

    Default Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Hello All,

    I recently did a clean installation of suse 13.1 on my desktop, but I am having some problems with blurry text in all the applications.

    I know it is not a monitor issue, because sometimes when I pass the cursor over the text, or while I'm typing, text appears clear(er), and anyway other graphics is crystal clear.

    Current system text settings are:
    • Liberation font 10 pts
    • Force character resolution at 96 dpi
    • Force anti-aliasing


    My only guess is that it might have something to do with the graphic card. I had some problems installing the drivers, I have a GeForce GTS 250, which is quite old, these below are the packages I installed:


    • nvidia-computeG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-glG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.6-23.1.3.x86_64
    • x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64
    • libdrm_nouveau2-2.4.46-3.2.2.x86_64
    • xf86-video-nv-2.1.20-7.1.2.x86_64



    I know there's something not quite right with the installation because I do not get the nVidia logo displayed at startup, while it happens with all my other linux computers.
    The nouveau package in the list sounds souspicious to me, but if I try to remove it, I got a message of a broken link to a Mesa package.

    Any help greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    I had some problems installing the drivers, I have a GeForce GTS 250, which is quite old, these below are the packages I installed:


    • nvidia-computeG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-glG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.6-23.1.3.x86_64
    • x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    • nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64
    • libdrm_nouveau2-2.4.46-3.2.2.x86_64
    • xf86-video-nv-2.1.20-7.1.2.x86_64

    I know there's something not quite right with the installation because I do not get the nVidia logo displayed at startup, while it happens with all my other linux computers.
    You have the wrong driver version installed for your card. The G03 driver is for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs.

    You need to install the legacy driver for your card, located here:

    http://software.opensuse.org/package/udba-nvidia-gfx
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  3. #3

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    You have the wrong driver version installed for your card. The G03 driver is for GeForce 8xxx and newer GPUs.

    You need to install the legacy driver for your card, located here:

    http://software.opensuse.org/package/udba-nvidia-gfx
    That's not true.
    The GeForce GTS 250 (GeForce 200 series) is newer than the GeForce 8 series and therefore supported by the G03 driver.
    In fact that legacy driver you linked to would _not_ support the card, and would not even work on openSUSE 13.1 because of the too new kernel and X.

    @MadSplinter:
    It's normal that you don't get the nvidia logo, and it's normal that nouveau is installed.
    So leave it there.

    Could you upload the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org and post a link to see if the nvidia driver is actually in use?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    I recently did a clean installation of suse 13.1 on my desktop, but I am having some problems with blurry text in all the applications.
    You do not mention which desktop you are using.

    If it is KDE, they try disabling desktop effects. Perhaps you will prefer the appearance that way (as I do).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    @ Wolfi 323: the content of my Xorg.0.log is at http://susepaste.org/91967614

    @ nrickert: I'm using KDE, and actually you are right! Disabling desktop effects does make the blurred text disappear! I never had this problem before... Is there any chance I can have again readable text and desktop effects as I had in the previous version of opensuse?


    thanks,
    Adriano

  6. #6

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    @ Wolfi 323: the content of my Xorg.0.log is at http://susepaste.org/91967614
    OK, the nvidia driver is working.
    It determines your monitor's resolution as 1360 x 768, is that the native size of your display?

    Hm, I have no idea why desktop effects should cause blurred text.
    Do you maybe have set the wrong resolution in "Configure Desktop"->"Display and Monitor"? (there's at least a KScreen effect in desktop effects)

    Another possible cause I think could be the subpixel hinting setting in "Application Appearance"->"Fonts". But then it shouldn't make a difference if desktop effects are enabled or disabled I guess.

    You could of course try to switch off each effect separately to find out which one is causing the blurred fonts.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    A small update on what I said above: I played a bit with the KDE menu for the desktop effects, my conclusion as not-expert is that the problem has something to do with the OpenGL; as if I switch to XRender I got the text accurately rendered, even if, of course, I loose most of the effects.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    A small update on what I said above: I played a bit with the KDE menu for the desktop effects, my conclusion as not-expert is that the problem has something to do with the OpenGL; as if I switch to XRender I got the text accurately rendered, even if, of course, I loose most of the effects.
    Have you added yourself to the "video" group? My understanding is that opengl support with the nvidia driver only works for members of that group.

    You can type
    Code:
    groups
    in a terminal window to see what groups you are in.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  9. #9

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Have you added yourself to the "video" group? My understanding is that opengl support with the nvidia driver only works for members of that group.
    Shouldn't be necessary anymore since the systemd update in December. logind should grant the user the necessary rights to access the nvidia card.

    To check whether it's working, install "Mesa-demo-x" and run:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    It should say "Direct rendering: Yes". If there's an error message about "permission denied" and "Direct Rendering: No", you're suffering from that problem and have to add the user to the "video" group.

    Although it cannot harm in any case of course.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Blurred text in Opesuse 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    That's not true.
    The GeForce GTS 250 (GeForce 200 series) is newer than the GeForce 8 series and therefore supported by the G03 driver.
    In fact that legacy driver you linked to would _not_ support the card, and would not even work on openSUSE 13.1 because of the too new kernel and X.
    Thanks for correcting, wolfi.

    I quickly looked up the nVidia stuff, and saw the GTS and the 2 listed in legacy, put it together with his mention of "old card", and made the mistake of thinking it was one of the older cards.

    Glad you knew better and spotted that.

    As for the nVidia logo, it shows up with mine (my card uses the G02 driver).
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •