Thread: openSuSE 13.1 (libvirtd/libxl): Sound works in dom0, but not in domU

Default openSuSE 13.1 (libvirtd/libxl): Sound works in dom0, but not in domU

Greetings!

Although I have two domU (one openSuSE 13.1, the other Win7) up and running, there is no sound to be heard from either of the two VMs.
    Sound in dom0 is working properly and con be configured by YaST.
    However, the two guests don't even recognize an audio device, although I have registered one in both domain definitions (both are set to ac97). Probing with YaST for an audio device in the Linux VM causes it to check for old chips (there aren't any to be found, though) without success and subsequently displays an empty list of audio devices. Checking the hardware in the Win7 VM reveals that no audio device is active, but it instead indicates an unknown PCI device (attempting to install a driver for that one is met with failure).

Now I'm wondering how I could possibly get an audio device up and running for both guests. I have tried all available emulated sound chips, but none of them works.

FYI, the dom0 on my box serves as a gateway and X terminal that connects to any remote X servers (be it a stand-alone box, be it any of the domU present) via XDMCP. My current workspace resides entirely in the Linux domU, and so far everything works just fine, except for the sound.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem, both for the Linux and the Win7 box?

Default Re: openSuSE 13.1 (libvirtd/libxl): Sound works in dom0, but not in domU

Hi, I use soundhw="sb16" in my vm config file and sound works just fine in all Windows. I am not sure it works in Linux as well, did not check.

Boris

Default Re: openSuSE 13.1 (libvirtd/libxl): Sound works in dom0, but not in domU

As a workaround I have set up sound streaming from the domU to dom0 (which is somewhat unsatisfactory as it uses up bandwidth on the virtual network, plus I cannot get some things to work properly).
    I'm going to move everything to a virtual sound card once I get a clue on how to make it work...

After a lot of digging I found something that indicates that this could be a conflict with SElinux being active (somehow libvirtd deliberately refuses to set up a sound device in any VMs in that case because of "security reasons").
    However, this rather restrictive approach isn't really comprehensible...

It is not easy but SELinux can be adjusted. Check the Docs

Unfortunately it seems that it is libvirtd that is causing the trouble by not enabling the virtual sound device in the first place. I don't see right now how adjusting SElinux should help here...