Thread: NFS mount fails after kernel update

Default NFS mount fails after kernel update

After updating the kernel coming from 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 to 3.7.10-1.28-x86_64 on KDE based opensuse 12.3 mounting of NFS v3 volumes fails.
    Re-installing kernel 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 solved the problem.
    Is this a known problem? Something wrong with configuration?
    Thanks.
    Fiete

Default Re: NFS mount fails after kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by fiete View Post
    After updating the kernel coming from 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 to 3.7.10-1.28-x86_64 on KDE based opensuse 12.3 mounting of NFS v3 volumes fails.
    Re-installing kernel 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 solved the problem.

Is this a known problem? Something wrong with configuration?
    Thanks.
    Fiete
    Same here. Mount returns with
    Code:
    # mount -t nfs {HOST}:{PATH} /{MOUNTPOINT}/
    mount.nfs: mount system call failed
    dmesg shows
    Code:
    [  296.593964] NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -1. Exiting with error EIO
    Kernel 3.7.10-1.28-desktop x86_64
    Last edited by rvoss; 08-Feb-2014 at 02:29. Reason: added kernelversion

I (did) have the same problem here:

Client 1: openSUSE 12.3 64bit, kernel-update to 3.7.10-1.28
    Client 2: openSUSE 13.1 32bit, kernel-update to 3.11.10-7.1

Server 1: openSUSE 11.4 Evergreen 32bit, NFSv4 enabled
    Server 2: Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v1, NFSv3
    Server 3: SUSE 7.3 32bit, NFSv2 (don't ask :-))

After the kernel-updates (12.3 & 13.1) only the nfs-exports from Server 1 with NFSv4 would be mounted.
    Mountig the exports from Server 2 & 3 i got this:
    Code:
    NFS: nfs4_discover_server_trunking unhandled error -1. Exiting with error EIO
    My solution so far (using autofs) was to change my auto.nfs file and adding manually the NFS version:
    Code:
    server_2    -fstype=nfs,nfsvers=3 server2:/exports # NFSv3
    server_3    -fstype=nfs,nfsvers=2 server3:/exports # NFSv2
    I also reopened bug 811746, because i think that the patch was the problem:
    Announcement ID: openSUSE-SU-2014:0204-1 (The kernel update for openSUSE 12.3)
    - NFSv4: Fix issues in nfs4_discover_server_trunking
    (bnc#811746).

Quote Originally Posted by Kieltux View Post
    My solution so far (using autofs) was to change my auto.nfs file and adding manually the NFS version:
    Code:
    server_2    -fstype=nfs,nfsvers=3 server2:/exports # NFSv3
    server_3    -fstype=nfs,nfsvers=2 server3:/exports # NFSv2
    Thanks. Learn something everyday: I didn't know the nfsvers mount option. Solved all my troubles.
    Also thanks for reopening the bugreport.

After updating the kernel coming from 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 to 3.7.10-1.28-x86_64 on KDE based opensuse 12.3 mounting of NFS v3 volumes fails. Re-installing kernel 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 solved the problem. Is this a known problem? Something wrong with configuration? Thanks. Fiete
    I have got the same problem here. Could you tell me how to re-install the 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 kernel?
    Thank you very much

Johmid

Adding the option nfsvers=3 (in my case) works indeed. Thanks for the workaround and re-opening the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by johmid View Post
    I have got the same problem here. Could you tell me how to re-install the 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 kernel?
    Thank you very much

Johmid
    Johmid,
    I use YaST, software management -> search 'Kernel' -> select in the list of software at the right side your installed kernel -> find the tab 'version' in the lower detailed view.
    Hier you will see the list of installed and installable kernels. You can uncheck the current kernel, install a kernel of your choice and mark the kernel (of your choice), e.g. as 'never update' through right-click at the check box.
    This should be doable using zypper but I have no experience with that tool.
    Good luck, and the workaround of Kieltux really works at least for automounting/autofs
    Fiete

Adding the option nfsvers=3 (in my case) works indeed. Thanks for the workaround and re-opening the bug.

Johmid,
    I use YaST, software management -> search 'Kernel' -> select in the list of software at the right side your installed kernel -> find the tab 'version' in the lower detailed view.
    Hier you will see the list of installed and installable kernels. You can uncheck the current kernel, install a kernel of your choice and mark the kernel (of your choice), e.g. as 'never update' through right-click at the check box.
    This should be doable using zypper but I have no experience with that tool.
    Good luck, and the workaround of Kieltux really works at least for automounting/autofs
    Fiete

Fiete,

Thanks for the fast reply. Re-installing the 3.7.10-1.24.1-x86_64 kernel works fine.

Johmid