Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Grub doesn't start

  1. #1

    Default Grub doesn't start

    Hello,

    I have recently ran an update on my system, running OpenSuse 13.1 x64. I hadn't updated in a while and I had around 290 updates to do. After updating and restarting the computer, I was faced with an unresponsive Grub.
    I have windows encrypted with TrueCrypt and Grub is chained from the TrueCrypt boot loader. This setup has always worked. And I don't think that's the reason beyond the issue.
    TrueCrypt finds the boot partition and right after that Grub gets stuck. I have attached an image that shows when it gets stuck, it's really early on and though it isn't visible on the image, there are lots of "underscores" flying around in the screen.

    [IMG]http://s30.postimg.org/l96kqw4vl/grub.jpg[/IMG]

    I have no clue how to fix this!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Quote Originally Posted by drkdfndr View Post
    Hello,

    I have recently ran an update on my system, running OpenSuse 13.1 x64. I hadn't updated in a while and I had around 290 updates to do. After updating and restarting the computer, I was faced with an unresponsive Grub.
    I have windows encrypted with TrueCrypt and Grub is chained from the TrueCrypt boot loader. This setup has always worked. And I don't think that's the reason beyond the issue.
    TrueCrypt finds the boot partition and right after that Grub gets stuck. I have attached an image that shows when it gets stuck, it's really early on and though it isn't visible on the image, there are lots of "underscores" flying around in the screen.

    [IMG]http://s30.postimg.org/l96kqw4vl/grub.jpg[/IMG]

    I have no clue how to fix this!
    Hi !

    The .jpg that you linked doesn't say that much.

    That you use TrueCrypt (I don't know it) makes things a bit complicated.
    The ones participating in this forum usually are focussing on openSUSE distributions.

    Although I don't know nothing about TrueCrypt, and although I still use 12.3 (instead of 13.1)
    I have an idea, not more:

    there have been several updates of the Kernel recently.

    Every Kernel update enlarged the list of the bootable systems of my GRUB menu
    (I'm still using legacy GRUB).

    Can 'TrueCrypt' handle such changes of the GRUB menu ??

    Maybe your openSUSE/Linux on your hard disk is OK (after the updates).

    Maybe you could fix your problem by booting from a live openSUSE,
    and re-configuring the GRUB boot loader on your hard disk.

    Since you can't boot your openSUSE from your hard disk,
    booting from an openSUSE live medium and probably 'chroot'
    could pave the way. Possibly.

    Good luck anyway !
    Mike
    Last edited by ratzi; 07-Feb-2014 at 16:59. Reason: typos

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Hi,
    Thanks for your quick reply

    I am not sure what grub version I am using, but I know it is the default one.
    I only have OpenSuse's DVD, and not the live session CD. So I can only boot into the recovery environment, no graphic environment, just a console. So basically what I need to know now is what are the command to re-configure grub. I am guessing something to do with yast? grub-mkconfig doesn't seem to be it, and it's the only one I know off!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Ok I found something!

    A bit about my partition scheme:
    • sda4 - extended. Partition where the others are "encapsulated"
    • sda5 - swap
    • sda6 - this is the root partition
    • sda7 - partition for home folder


    I have tried to reinstall grub2 by using
    Code:
    #grub2-install /dev/sda6
    mkdir cannot create directory ?/boot/grub2/i386-pc?: read only file system
    sda6 is the place where grub2 was previously installed, and still is.
    Since I am using the recovery environment from the CD I guess that's the reason for the mkdir warning - I am also using a 64 bit version of OpenSuse and a 64bit installation CD

    I also tried:
    Code:
    #grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/sda6/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    /usr/sbin/grub2-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
    No idea about the why of the error. Maybe related with the same problem I was getting above.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,106

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Please show output of "cat /etc/default/grub_installdevice" from your root partition.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Quote Originally Posted by drkdfndr View Post
    No idea about the why of the error. Maybe related with the same problem I was getting above.
    Did you chroot before you ran those commands?
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  8. #8

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    That was it, I didn't use chroot. I am a novice at this, and didn't completely know how to proceed.
    Thanks for all the help Everything is back to work now.

    Any ideas on what caused grub to die like this?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    Quote Originally Posted by drkdfndr View Post
    That was it, I didn't use chroot. I am a novice at this, and didn't completely know how to proceed.
    Thanks for all the help Everything is back to work now.

    Any ideas on what caused grub to die like this?
    Hard to tell
    Did the update seem to go smoothly?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10

    Default Re: Grub doesn't start

    That's hard to say, since there were so many updates, I wasn't paying much attention to what was going on. I update by using the command "zypper update"
    There were some information about app armor I think.
    I am just wondering if something got corrupted besides grub and needs fixing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •