Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 Using SAMBA (Share Not Working)?

Default Share Folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 Using SAMBA (Share Not Working)?

Gentlemen,

I tried all ways to share folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 using SAMBA, but without success. Frankly, I do not know what to do to resolve this situation.
    Among my actions are taken...

1. Stop the firewall
    2. Do the procedures set out in :

I can make the server work normally and without error including its parameters (testparm), but I can not access it from another machine (Linux or Windows) using "smb://[MACHINE_IP]/[SHARE_NAME]" or "\[MACHINE_IP][SHARE_NAME]"! I also tested using the machine itself.

Nothing seems to make samba work. What was supposed to be a simple and ordinary thing in other distributions became a nightmare. I'm beginning to think that this is a problem in the distribution itself!

I can not imagine what can be done! = /

Please help me!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Share Folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 Using SAMBA (Share Not Working)?

Try ro disable AppArmor:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/rcapparmor stop
    Then restart samba:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart smb.service
    sudo systemctl restart nmb.service
    Does it work then?

FYI: Since the last Samba update in December, Samba could not create necessary files on startup because AppArmor blocks it.
    The latest AppArmor update should fix this though.

Have same problem as mentioned, same samba version and distro. It worked just fine for me after I've installed openSUSE 13.1 about a month ago (only was necessary to disable app armor). And now it suddenly stopped to work, starts but does not share (I fixed some in config - cause I even was unable to start), do no know why. From localhost it asks me for user name and password (previously was not as guest access are enabled), and does not connect from Windows machine at all? What is wrong here? New samba version after rpm upgrade or what? Could You summarize the solution for me please?

Hmmm... I see that smb process does not start, seems the problem mentioned here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-upgrade/page3

Bring settings to default, smbd process started now however still shares nothing...

I have a similar problem, although samba is >running<. I have gone through about 100 tutorials, changed smb.conf from simple to complicated and back to simple and nothing at all works. I had samba running ok with openSUSE 12.2, now trying to implement 13.1.

I know the revisions to smb.conf are being propagated via restarting nmb and smb, because I have added and removed shares, etc. and they display via the browser. HOWEVER, every implementation ends up exactly the same:

I can browse my server home directory via //smb/[server]/[user] but I cannot write to it. I cannot gain access to any other share (although one share is in my user tree, so I can access it when I connect to my home directory). I have also removed and re-created my smb passwords, doesn't help. I've verified that my linux user on the server has r/w access to the exported directories. I also tried the suggestion here to turn apparmor off.

I've checked via dolphin smb:/, via smbclient, and via windows xp network browser. All have the exact same result -- I can browse my server's home directory remotely, I can't obtain write privileges and I can't access the other shares. The system is using tdbsam -- I tried deleting the database files and reconstructing them. That did not work either. With smbclient I was able to log into the "sharetest" share (presumably available to all users per below smb.conf), but commands such as "dir" result in "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED".

smb.conf [latest version]

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    security = user
    netbios name = MAIN

[homes]
    valid users = %S
    browseable = no
    read only = No
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700

[shared016]
    comment = shared016
    path = /home/[user]/lan/shared016
    read only = No

[sharetest]
    comment = sharetest
    path = /var/test
    read only = No
    valid users = @users
    force group = users
    create mask = 0660
    directory mask = 0771
    writable = yes

Thank you for any assistance.

Default Re: Share Folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 [arrghhh. solved part of my problem anyway ...]

I searched YAST for "smb" and discovered "pam_smb". I added it and now I can r/w access the share I intended to be r/w for all users. Still not solved for home directory and shared016 but I will go back and look at the smb.conf again -- I think it is a positive that I can access "something" in any event. Especially as in my case, I only wanted a shareable windows folder anyway.

It seems to me if pam_smb is needed, it should be a dependency in the samba install, but what do I know?

Default Re: Share Folders on OpenSUSE 13.1 [arrghhh. solved part of my problem anyway ...]

Quote Originally Posted by daltrey View Post
    It seems to me if pam_smb is needed, it should be a dependency in the samba install, but what do I know?
    pam_smb is definitely _not_ needed for a writable Samba share.
    But of course the corresponding user (for guest access this is most likey "nobody") has to have read, write and execute permissions to that directory.
    If you only want read access, read and execute permissions are sufficient of course.

Gentlemen,

I tried everything that was mentioned above. Nothing works. Any other suggestions?

akontsevich: "Could You summarize the solution for me please?" -> Yes of course! Will do that!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eduardolucioac View Post
    I tried everything that was mentioned above. Nothing works. Any other suggestions?
    Well, please post the output of "sudo systemctl status smb.service" and "sudo systemctl status nmb.service".

And maybe your /etc/samba/smb.conf would help as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast