Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem with UEFI install on Sony Vaio Pro 13 w/Windows-8.1

Default problem with UEFI install on Sony Vaio Pro 13 w/Windows-8.1

Hi guys, I've recently buyed a Sony Vaio Pro 13. After following this post ( https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...24#post2601524 ) I've been succefull in Installing Grub, but at the first start of opensuse 13.1 x64 I get this error:

Code:
    Waiting for device /dev/root to appear:............................. Could not find /dev/root.
    Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMUNG_MZHPU128HCHGM-00000_S1ACNYADB01045-part7 ? (Y/n)

Thank you in advance

Default Re: problem with UEFI install on Sony Vaio Pro 13 w/Windows-8.1

I've done a photo of the error with my phone because after hitting F1 as soon as possible at start-up I've seen that there is more.

I underline the fact that this is the first boot after installation so, if I remember correctly, during this time the installation process start again to complete the last part in any case I've tried even with the installation media connected to the usb port but nothing changes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vixxo View Post
    Code:
    Waiting for device /dev/root to appear:............................. Could not find /dev/root.
    Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMUNG_MZHPU128HCHGM-00000_S1ACNYADB01045-part7 ? (Y/n)
    Can you tell us a bit more about your install.

In particular, are you using grub2-efi or just grub2?

Was your EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi"?

Is "/boot" a separate partition? Did you install on the internal drive? Do you have more than one hard drive (perhaps an SSD)?

My quick guess from your error message, is that either the "initrd" is not being read, or it is missing a driver. But I would like to know more about your setup, so that I can get beyond guessing.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Can you tell us a bit more about your install.

1.In particular, are you using grub2-efi or just grub2?

2.Was your EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi"?

3.Is "/boot" a separate partition? Did you install on the internal drive? Do you have more than one hard drive (perhaps an SSD)?

My quick guess from your error message, is that either the "initrd" is not being read, or it is missing a driver. But I would like to know more about your setup, so that I can get beyond guessing.
    1. I'm using grub2-efi, even checked that on the installation process to be sure of that.

2. I'm quite sure about since to let GRUB boots I had to move /boot/EFI/opensuse contenent in /boot/EFI/Windows ecc. as described in the first link I've posted. Also during the installation process opensuse partitioner select the mount-point to /boot/EFI

3.It is a separate partition

I have installed on the ssd that is the only drive I have (one SSD 128gb flash unit), FROM a usb live stick

Here is what I can get from a liveUSB KDE session:
    Code:
    linux:~ # gdisk /dev/sda -l
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.7

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sda: 250069680 sectors, 119.2 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): BDADBE25-2F52-4DB8-BBD2-F8AB84BBA5B3
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 250069646
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 3711 sectors (1.8 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          534527   260.0 MiB   ED00  
       2          534528         3553279   1.4 GiB     2700  
       3         3553280         4085759   260.0 MiB   EF00  EFI system partition
       4         4085760         4347903   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part
       5         4347904       123093997   56.6 GiB    0700  Basic data partition
       6       220749824       250068991   14.0 GiB    2700  
       7       123095040       220749823   46.6 GiB    0700  primary
    (No swap partition is my choice to preserve SSD life and because I have 8gb of RAM)

Blog Entries

2. I'm quite sure about since to let GRUB boots I had to move /boot/EFI/opensuse contenent in /boot/EFI/Windows ecc. as described in the first link I've posted.
    Honestly, I think that a bad approach. I know one user claimed it worked for them, but i do not think it a good idea.

My recommendation would be to restore /boot/EFI/Windows from the backup you made prior to copying /boot/EFI/opensuse content to that partition. And then you should be able to boot Windows-8.1 again, and then this problem can be sorted.

You did make a backup of the EFI partition first, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Honestly, I think that a bad approach. I know one user claimed it worked for them, but i do not think it a good idea.

My recommendation would be to restore /boot/EFI/Windows from the backup you made prior to copying /boot/EFI/opensuse content to that partition. And then you should be able to boot Windows-8.1 again, and then this problem can be sorted.

You did make a backup of the EFI partition first, I hope.
    Yes I have the backup.

I must say that with a past install, with a total wipe of the partitions (except the boot one), I booted GRUB without that trick and I remember a similar error, by the way I will try.

Oldcpu, ok I've restored the Microsoft folder, now:

do I have to copy /EFI/opensuse content in /EFI/Boot or in /Boot folder ? Because I have two Boot folders one is a sub-folder of EFI one not.

Then I have to rename shim.efi to bootx64.efi right ?

There is even /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

so:

/Boot
    /EFI/Boot
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

which one ? And what file to rename ?

Blog Entries

There is even /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

so:

/Boot
    /EFI/Boot
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

which one ? And what file to rename ?
    My recommendation was to restore /boot/EFI/Windows (ie the /EFI/Microsoft) from the backup you made prior to copying /boot/EFI/opensuse. It was not to remove the /boot/EFI/opensuse.

If you removed the /EFI/opensuse, then please restore it (unless you also removed openSUSE).

Please also confirm, with the /EFI/Boot and /EFI/Microsoft/Boot in place that you are now able to boot MS-Windows ?

Next question - are you able to boot openSUSE from a liveDVD or liveUSB stick ?
    Last edited by oldcpu; 08-Feb-2014 at 03:54.

I've restored /EFI/Windows and windows boots correctly. The fact is that now grub2 doesn't appear and I can't boot the opensuse installation, windows starts directly.
    /EFI/opensuse is there (I make everytime a backup folder of everything).

I can boot a opensuse live session KDE or DVD from usbdrive, is from there that I edit the EFI folder.

Now the problem is to boot opensuse installation on the harddrive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast