Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

  1. #1

    Default Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    I keep getting an error during the backup of my 250GB internal drive to a 32GB USB Flash drive suggesting there is not enough space to complete the backup. There are 2 partitions - 1:20GB 2:226GB - and I am backing up the entire disk for recovery purposes. My question is does the backup drive have to be as large as the target drive? I've read this to be true but recall backing up on another Linux box with a 300GB internal drive to one of my 32GB Flash drives and got several backups accomplished.

    This situation leads me to believe that maybe I was only backing up the 20GB partition rather than the entire drive but that would go against my general backup procedures for any system and I think I may be remembering incorrectly.

    13.1 KDE 32-bit machine (both the laptop and the desktop). Any suggestions? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,124

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    I am not a Clonezilla user, but if that program does what the name suggests to me: Clone the disk (partition), then it seems logical to me that the target must at least be as large as the source. It could be that a compression mechanism is used, in which case I guess that about half the size is needed. But when you have a fresh file system, where all the unused bytes were set to 0 before usage and were there is still not much data stored, I guess that compression will give you a much better result.

    And about what you may have done or not in the past, I have no comments.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    On 2014-02-07 10:56, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > I am not a Clonezilla user, but if that program does what the name
    > suggests to me: Clone the disk (partition), then it seems logical to me
    > that the target must at least be as large as the source. It could be
    > that a compression mechanism is used, in which case I guess that about
    > half the size is needed. But when you have a fresh file system, where
    > all the unused bytes were set to 0 before usage and were there is still
    > not much data stored, I guess that compression will give you a much
    > better result.


    AFAIK, it does have compression, and it skips sectors reported as unused
    by the filesystem (it is not a full imaging procedure). Thus a big
    source disk/partition scarcely populated with mostly text files may be
    backed up to a much smaller destination - but obviously this is not the
    general case.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  4. #4

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-02-07 10:56, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > I am not a Clonezilla user, but if that program does what the name
    > suggests to me: Clone the disk (partition), then it seems logical to me
    > that the target must at least be as large as the source. It could be
    > that a compression mechanism is used, in which case I guess that about
    > half the size is needed. But when you have a fresh file system, where
    > all the unused bytes were set to 0 before usage and were there is still
    > not much data stored, I guess that compression will give you a much
    > better result.


    AFAIK, it does have compression, and it skips sectors reported as unused
    by the filesystem (it is not a full imaging procedure). Thus a big
    source disk/partition scarcely populated with mostly text files may be
    backed up to a much smaller destination - but obviously this is not the
    general case.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
    OK, that's what I was thinking. And, I am going to plug in my 500GB external drive and try a backup to that one. Thanks for jumping in with your post.

    @robin_listas Thanks for your observations and suggestions. It is helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    I keep getting an error during the backup of my 250GB internal drive to a 32GB USB Flash drive suggesting there is not enough space to complete the backup. There are 2 partitions - 1:20GB 2:226GB - and I am backing up the entire disk for recovery purposes. My question is does the backup drive have to be as large as the target drive? I've read this to be true but recall backing up on another Linux box with a 300GB internal drive to one of my 32GB Flash drives and got several backups accomplished.

    This situation leads me to believe that maybe I was only backing up the 20GB partition rather than the entire drive but that would go against my general backup procedures for any system and I think I may be remembering incorrectly.

    13.1 KDE 32-bit machine (both the laptop and the desktop). Any suggestions? Thanks!
    First, how are you running Clonezilla, with what options?

    Are you running it off a boot CD or a USB key?

    Are you using the option?:
    device-image work with disks or partitions using images

    If you are using the 2nd option, "device-device", it will want to do a direct clone and will need an equal or larger device to go to.

    Don't have your backup key plugged in yet (start Clonezilla without the backup key plugged in).

    When you get to the next screen, choose the first option, "local_dev"

    You will then get a prompt to plug in your backup device. Plug it in, wait a few seconds for Clonezilla to respond with a list, hit enter and continue.

    On the next screen, (I'm sure you already know this part), it asks to mount a device for /home/partimage, which of course would be the key you want to back up to. Next screen, it wants to know the directory. I assume you will want the top directory.

    On the next screen, choose Expert Mode

    On the next screen, you can use:
    save-disk Save_local_disk_as_an_image

    The next asks for a name (No spaces, remember!).

    If this is a vfat key, you want to stick to FAT32 conventions.

    Next you choose the drive you want to back up.

    Next, use the default suggestion:
    -q2 Priority: Partclone > Partimage > dd

    Leave it at the default for the next "Advance Extra Parameters"

    Stick with -z1 gzip compression (any other, you probably will be waiting an entire day or more to go to a USB key)

    Next page is VERY IMPORTANT: Let it split the file. Remember FAT has size limitations. I choose 2200 for the size, as this is easily stored on FAT partitions, and 2 of the files will fit a DVD, if I decide to store a copy there.

    You could even stick to 2000 to make sure you have enough spare room when copying it to a DVD in the future.

    If you still run into the space problem, then maybe it needs an intermediary place to run (maybe it makes a temp file, then compresses?).

    If that is the case, do the same thing as above, only run the backup to your external drive as you mentioned.

    The final size should fit on the USB key and can be restored from the key, so if you run it to the external drive, you can then copy it or move it to the key.

    *****

    It is very likely that I told you a lot of things you already know.

    However, I am detailing it out in case there is one step that helps you along, and it will also be a good guide for anyone else who is interested.

    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    First, how are you running Clonezilla, with what options?

    Are you running it off a boot CD or a USB key?

    Are you using the option?:
    device-image work with disks or partitions using images

    If you are using the 2nd option, "device-device", it will want to do a direct clone and will need an equal or larger device to go to.

    Don't have your backup key plugged in yet (start Clonezilla without the backup key plugged in).

    When you get to the next screen, choose the first option, "local_dev"

    You will then get a prompt to plug in your backup device. Plug it in, wait a few seconds for Clonezilla to respond with a list, hit enter and continue.

    On the next screen, (I'm sure you already know this part), it asks to mount a device for /home/partimage, which of course would be the key you want to back up to. Next screen, it wants to know the directory. I assume you will want the top directory.

    On the next screen, choose Expert Mode

    On the next screen, you can use:
    save-disk Save_local_disk_as_an_image

    The next asks for a name (No spaces, remember!).

    If this is a vfat key, you want to stick to FAT32 conventions.

    Next you choose the drive you want to back up.

    Next, use the default suggestion:
    -q2 Priority: Partclone > Partimage > dd

    Leave it at the default for the next "Advance Extra Parameters"

    Stick with -z1 gzip compression (any other, you probably will be waiting an entire day or more to go to a USB key)

    Next page is VERY IMPORTANT: Let it split the file. Remember FAT has size limitations. I choose 2200 for the size, as this is easily stored on FAT partitions, and 2 of the files will fit a DVD, if I decide to store a copy there.

    You could even stick to 2000 to make sure you have enough spare room when copying it to a DVD in the future.

    If you still run into the space problem, then maybe it needs an intermediary place to run (maybe it makes a temp file, then compresses?).

    If that is the case, do the same thing as above, only run the backup to your external drive as you mentioned.

    The final size should fit on the USB key and can be restored from the key, so if you run it to the external drive, you can then copy it or move it to the key.

    *****

    It is very likely that I told you a lot of things you already know.

    However, I am detailing it out in case there is one step that helps you along, and it will also be a good guide for anyone else who is interested.

    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    OK, thanks for the help. As you said, I was somewhat familiar with the process already but have learned a bit from you about the program that I didn't know.

    I am sad to say that after progressing to the portion of the program where the cloning starts, I read an error message wherein Clonezilla has terminated. I seems to repeat the same error message that I see when it fails to make the image file when once before I tried. I'll try to reproduce the error message here for you:

    Here is the image of the failure - http://susepaste.org/58616991

    Please tell me your suggestions at this point. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    OK, thanks for the help. As you said, I was somewhat familiar with the process already but have learned a bit from you about the program that I didn't know.

    I am sad to say that after progressing to the portion of the program where the cloning starts, I read an error message wherein Clonezilla has terminated. I seems to repeat the same error message that I see when it fails to make the image file when once before I tried. I'll try to reproduce the error message here for you:

    Here is the image of the failure - http://susepaste.org/58616991

    Please tell me your suggestions at this point. Thanks!
    For some reason, it can't recognize the partition table on the disk you are trying to back up. Is there something unusual about that HD setup?

    What version of Clonezilla are you using? The latest?

    Perhaps you are using a version of Clonezilla that doesn't recognize, say, gpt partitioning, and perhaps your HD is gpt partitioned?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    On 2014-02-08 22:16, Fraser Bell wrote:
    > For some reason, it can't recognize the partition table on the disk you
    > are trying to back up. Is there something unusual about that HD setup?


    Prior to that error, there is another about no free space on device.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-02-08 22:16, Fraser Bell wrote:
    > For some reason, it can't recognize the partition table on the disk you
    > are trying to back up. Is there something unusual about that HD setup?


    Prior to that error, there is another about no free space on device.
    Yes. It is looking like it is unable to read either device at this stage. One looks like it might be a permissions problem (?), unable to read the subdirectory and therefore getting available space as "0" (or, perhaps, at this point just cannot read the device, with the same result.), even though it earlier read it to successfully mount the temporary "home". The other looks like a partition table or boot record error.

    Needs some thinking...
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Clonezilla - /home/partimage not enough space

    On 2014-02-09 01:36, Fraser Bell wrote:

    > Yes. It is looking like it is unable to read either device at this
    > stage. One looks like it might be a permissions problem (?),


    No permissions... that could cause both errors.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •