Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

  1. #1

    Default How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Hi all !

    I currently have a restricted network bandwidth of my DSL connection.

    The default behaviour of openSUSE 12.3 seems to be that it checks for updates after boot,
    at least once a day.

    But because of my currently restricted network bandwith, that process takes considerable time.

    The disadvantage is that all other network activities, like e.g. browsing this forum,
    are practically blocked, sometimes even for 10-20 minutes, while that check for updates
    of openSUSE is running.

    So, I would like to disable it.

    How can I do that ?

    Thanks
    Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    On 2014-02-06 22:26, ratzi wrote:
    >
    > Hi all !
    >
    > I currently have a restricted network bandwidth of my DSL connection.


    Remove the applet on the desktop that triggers it. In KDE it is "apper".
    Another name in gnome/xfce.

    Also there is a method to just disable it from starting, different for
    each desktop. But removing it is absolute.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stoney Stanton - England
    Posts
    1,169

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    I remember this issue from a few years ago when I had a rubbish internet connection.

    Apper is the issue. Two options 1) uninstall apper and just use yast to check for updates as and when it suits you or 2) there must be an option with apper to change the default behaviour so it does not do a check on booting.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Thank both of you !

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Remove the applet on the desktop that triggers it. In KDE it is "apper".
    Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    I remember this issue from a few years ago when I had a rubbish internet connection.

    Apper is the issue. Two options 1) uninstall apper
    Seems that I should have told that I'm using KDE ...

    OK, I'll uninstall it - wait - perhaps not, see below.

    Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    and just use yast to check for updates as and when it suits you
    That is what I want to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Also there is a method to just disable it from starting, different for
    each desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    or 2) there must be an option with apper to change the default behaviour so it does not do a check on booting.
    I'm not familiar with Apper.

    Now I ran 'man apper' from the console.

    After reading that, I entered 'apper --settings' in the console.

    An error is displayed in the console:

    Code:
    Error, cannot create transaction proxy QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner", "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit': no such name")
    Nevertheless, a panel/window appears, regarding the settings for apper.

    There is an option/choice 'Check for new updates' which is set to 'Daily'.

    I'll change that to 'Never'. That sounds promising !
    (may require root privileges)

    Let's see what that does !

    But it will take 1-2 days to see if that works.

    Thank both of you again!
    Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    On 2014-02-07 00:16, ratzi wrote:

    > Now I ran 'man apper' from the console.


    Good idea...


    > I'll change that to 'Never'. That sounds promising !
    > (may require root privileges)


    Interesting :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    I found I needed to remove it completely, due to issues I was having.

    To do that, follow this link: http://en.opensuse.org/Apper

    It's one command entered into the CLI : zypper remove PackageKit

    Then reboot.

    Good Luck.
    brickheap
    openSuSE 13.1 i686

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,677
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    Seems that I should have told that I'm using KDE ...
    Go to Configure Desktop (in the menu)
    --> Startup and Shutdown --> Service Manager

    In the bottom window, uncheck the box for Apper.

    Then it will never start automatically. You can still start Apper from the menu if you want to.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,803

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    OK, I'll uninstall it - wait - perhaps not, see below.

    That is what I want to do.
    To me it looks as if you think that you need Apper for that "checking when you like it".
    That is not the case. You can use YaST > Software > Online Update for patches from the Update repos. And you can use YaST > Software > Software management for checking if there are newer versions including patches for all you have installed.

    YaST is still the System Managment tool for openSUSE, including software management. Apper/PackageKit is only an addition from some desktop environments.

    It is up to your discretion what you want to use (and they do not bite each other as long a you do not use them both at the same time).

    BTW for your better understanding;
    Apper does not check after reboot. It checks after login. Remember that it is a desktop feature, thus it works only from within a loged in KDE session.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Quote Originally Posted by brickheap View Post
    I found I needed to remove it completely, due to issues I was having.

    To do that, follow this link: http://en.opensuse.org/Apper

    It's one command entered into the CLI : zypper remove PackageKit

    Then reboot.

    Good Luck.
    That's a nice link.

    Thank you
    Mike

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to disable automatic checking for updates after startup

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Go to Configure Desktop (in the menu)
    --> Startup and Shutdown --> Service Manager

    In the bottom window, uncheck the box for Apper.

    Then it will never start automatically. You can still start Apper from the menu if you want to.
    I will rember that.

    That can control (part of) what happens on startup and shutdown.
    Good to know!

    With respect to Apper, Maybe I found another solution.

    Thank you indeed
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •