Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

  1. #1

    Default What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    I need to make a live USB drive for CentOS for my Pentium III thinkpad - openSUSE won't run on it
    On Windows I used Universtal USB Installer. On other linux distros I used unetbootin. I was going to install unetbooin on openSUSE but I got a warning that this is not a stable and experimental package.
    What do you guys use to create live Linux USB drives?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 20:06:02 +0000, mattdocs12345 wrote:

    > I need to make a live USB drive for CentOS for my Pentium III thinkpad -
    > openSUSE won't run on it
    > On Windows I used Universtal USB Installer. On other linux distros I
    > used unetbootin. I was going to install unetbooin on openSUSE but I got
    > a warning that this is not a stable and experimental package.
    > What do you guys use to create live Linux USB drives?


    For openSUSE, dd - the DVD images are already prepped for writing to a USB
    drive, so nothing special needs to be done to them.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,375
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    This guide might be helpful to you

    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

  4. #4

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    Okay I tried imagewriter, it didn't work for me. I got the following message:

    Sorry, I can't write this iso. You need to use another program to write it to DVD.

    Universal USB extractor and Unetbootin on windows had no problem...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:36:03 +0000, mattdocs12345 wrote:

    > Okay I tried imagewriter, it didn't work for me. I got the following
    > message:
    >
    > Sorry, I can't write this iso. You need to use another program to write
    > it to DVD.
    >
    > Universal USB extractor and Unetbootin on windows had no problem...


    Again, try using dd to write it to the flash drive. That's what I did
    and it just worked.

    If you're writing from Windows, you can use Cygwin to get a copy of dd,
    but you'll have to read the docs to see how to identify the correct
    device. Identifying the wrong device can end up overwriting data you
    meant to keep.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:36:03 +0000, mattdocs12345 wrote:

    > Okay I tried imagewriter, it didn't work for me. I got the following
    > message:
    >
    > Sorry, I can't write this iso. You need to use another program to write
    > it to DVD.
    >
    > Universal USB extractor and Unetbootin on windows had no problem...


    Again, try using dd to write it to the flash drive. That's what I did
    and it just worked.
    He wants to write a CentOS image, not openSUSE, if I understand him correctly.

    @mattdocs12345:
    Just use unetbootin, if it worked for you on other distros.
    That warning about "not stable" means, that it is just not officially included in the distribution.
    It should work anyway.
    But if you use a 1-click install, make sure it matches your openSUSE version, otherwise you might break your system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,375
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    He wants to write a CentOS image, not openSUSE, if I understand him correctly.
    Thanks, I missed that

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: What is everyone using to create bootable linux USB drives?

    On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 10:36:02 +0000, wolfi323 wrote:

    > He wants to write a CentOS image, not openSUSE, if I understand him
    > correctly.


    Somehow I missed that as well.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •