Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE kicker menu replacement

Default KDE kicker menu replacement

Okay I have several issues with KDE kicker menu:
    • no way to adjust icon size which means my menu icons are humongous compared desktop and taksbar icons.
    • no way to adjust speed of the menu and it is very slow compared to the classic menu
    • no way to adjust the height of the menu which means that I have to scroll akwardly...

In other words, everything about the menu is out of proportion as compared to the reminder of desktop.

So I am looking for a replacement. I searched on Yast for the following:
    1. Homerun
    2. Whisker
    3. MATE
    4. Cinammon

Out of the 4, I only found Homerun and Whisker menu. Homerun menu looks much more like the reminder of openSUSE but the width of the launcher is very narrow and also looks awkward. It gets even worst when programs have longer names, they end up being cut off. Classic menu doesn't have this problem, but the Classic menu just doesn't fit the theme.Then I tried to install the Whisker menu but I simply cannot find it under widgets like I did with the Homerun.

So to sum it up Classic, Homerun and the Kicker menu simply dont work the way they suppose to and are very crude when comes to customization. What are my options out there?

Default AW: KDE kicker menu replacement

Quote Originally Posted by mattdocs12345 View Post
    Then I tried to install the Whisker menu but I simply cannot find it under widgets like I did with the Homerun.
    Well, Whisker apparently "is an alternate application launcher for Xfce".

And Cinnamon and MATE are no KDE menu replacements either, but whole Desktop Environments to use instead of KDE (they are both GNOME derivatives).

You might have a look at Lancelot though:
    http://userbase.kde.org/Lancelot

Maybe that one fits you better?

It's in the package "plasma-addons-lancelot", available in the standard repos.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE kicker menu replacement

Okay I have several issues with KDE kicker menu:
    • no way to adjust icon size which means my menu icons are humongous compared desktop and taksbar icons.
    • no way to adjust speed of the menu and it is very slow compared to the classic menu
    • no way to adjust the height of the menu which means that I have to scroll akwardly...

In other words, everything about the menu is out of proportion as compared to the reminder of desktop.
    You can adjust the height by dragging from the corner of the menu.

Icon size can be adjusted via System Settings >> Application Appearance >> Icons >> Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Thank you that helped a lot.
    Icon size can be adjusted via System Settings >> Application Appearance >> Icons >> Advanced
    There is no option to decrease menu icon size.

And still no option to increase speed of the menu when changing panels between favorites, applications, computer, etc.

Blog Entries

Yes, the icon size issue is discussed in a number rof bug reports (now that I've had time to search):

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273938
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272266

Suggest to add your voice to one of those (although don't hold your breath).

You could try the Lancelot launcher widget as an alternative.

Yes, the icon size issue is discussed in a number rof bug reports (now that I've had time to search):

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273938
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272266

Suggest to add your voice to one of those (although don't hold your breath).

You could try the Lancelot launcher widget as an alternative.
    I posted my voice. I have resized my menu which really helped. I can live with the icon size but I hope they will address this issue in the future. The other menus have some issues as well which are bigger than the current KDE Kicker. For example Homerun menu is too narrow and cuts off names. Lancelot menu had smaller icons but they were lower quality and it had the same delay problem.

I hope I don't come in as negative. I love openSUSE, it by far has the best theme management out there. I actually switched from Linux Mint to openSUSE because it was much more customizable. And thank you for helping me out, you guys are awesome.

Blog Entries

I posted my voice. I have resized my menu which really helped. I can live with the icon size but I hope they will address this issue in the future.
    Good on you.

I hope I don't come in as negative. I love openSUSE, it by far has the best theme management out there. I actually switched from Linux Mint to openSUSE because it was much more customizable. And thank you for helping me out, you guys are awesome.
    Maybe you'd like to continue using Cinnamon desktop with openSUSE?

http://hacklog.in/cinnamon-2-0-finally-it-works/

AFAIU, all you need first is to make sure you have a working Gnome 3 desktop first.

then
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Cinnamon:/Factory/openSUSE_13.1
    Cinnamon
    zypper ref Cinnamon
    zypper in -t pattern "Cinnamon Desktop Environment"

Maybe you'd like to continue using Cinnamon desktop with openSUSE?
    I actually left LM because I didn't like their desktop. I wouldn't really want to use their menu with openSUSE because it wouldn't fit the overall theme. So far, I think the most important aspect for me is the speed of the menu and the way it fits with the reminder of the theme. KDE Kicker is good, especially after I made it longer in height but speed is the problem and the icons are the secondary problem. I found other KDE menus such as lancet and homerun also have delayed response and slow animation.
    What Cinammon had really good going for itself was speed and simplicity. For example with kicker menu the response time is so slow that I can move my mouse between Favorites, Applications and Leave tabs but the menu doesn't register any response! I keep moving the mouse back and forth and no response until I slow down and wait at each tab to open.

Blog Entries

I don't experience the problem you describe, and I haven't read of others reporting this either. Are you using older hardware or a machine with limited memory perhaps?

...great!!!!!...I didn't know this..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast