Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Installing ATI video driver package

  1. #1

    Default Installing ATI video driver package

    I am trying to learn how to install the xf86-video-ati-1-7.3.0-1-i686.pkg file that was just downloaded and was curious about how to go about doing that. I have yet to understand this process and could use some help with this. Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    I am trying to learn how to install the xf86-video-ati-1-7.3.0-1-i686.pkg file that was just downloaded and was curious about how to go about doing that. I have yet to understand this process and could use some help with this. Thanks!
    Why not install the RPMs using the 1-click installer here?
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

    Should be easier in a few regards, especially you shouldn't have to reinstall it after a kernel update.

    But, to check if the fglrx driver is even a good idea, what graphics card are we talking about here now?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Why not install the RPMs using the 1-click installer here?
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

    Should be easier in a few regards, especially you shouldn't have to reinstall it after a kernel update.

    But, to check if the fglrx driver is even a good idea, what graphics card are we talking about here now?
    My A31p's ATI Mobility FireGL 7800 chipset. Reason being, I am having troubles with some of the Desktop Effects requiring OpenGL and I was thinking this may be an answer. Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    My A31p's ATI Mobility FireGL 7800 chipset. Reason being, I am having troubles with some of the Desktop Effects requiring OpenGL and I was thinking this may be an answer. Thanks!
    I'm not an expert with modern ATI/AMD cards, and their homepage doesn't list the explicit models supported by the driver like nVidia does.

    But AFAICT the fglrx driver _should_ support your card.
    And yes, I think this may be an answer to your Desktop Effects problems...

    If you install the driver using the 1-click install and it doesn't work, you can just uninstall it again in Yast though.
    Maybe try "Recovery Mode" in the boot menu ("Advanced Options") if the system doesn't boot to graphical mode after you installed the driver.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I'm not an expert with modern ATI/AMD cards, and their homepage doesn't list the explicit models supported by the driver like nVidia does.

    But AFAICT the fglrx driver _should_ support your card.
    And yes, I think this may be an answer to your Desktop Effects problems...

    If you install the driver using the 1-click install and it doesn't work, you can just uninstall it again in Yast though.
    Maybe try "Recovery Mode" in the boot menu ("Advanced Options") if the system doesn't boot to graphical mode after you installed the driver.
    Here goes. Wish me luck.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    Here goes. Wish me luck.
    Good Luck!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Good Luck!
    Well, I have another problem with the AMD Catalyst Control Center: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig."

    This makes no sense to me. What gives?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    Well, I have another problem with the AMD Catalyst Control Center: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig."

    This makes no sense to me. What gives?
    Did you reboot after installing the driver?

    Please upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link to find out if the driver is actually in use.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Did you reboot after installing the driver?

    Please upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link to find out if the driver is actually in use.
    Yes, rebooted.

    URL: http://susepaste.org/90484067

    Thanks!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Installing ATI video driver package

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    Yes, rebooted.

    URL: http://susepaste.org/90484067
    Well, the error is:
    Code:
    [    35.778] (EE) No supported AMD display adapters were found
    So unfortunately the fglrx driver does not support your card.

    Uninstall it again in YaST->Software Management (search for "fglrx") and use the radeon driver then.

    I see now that I misread you 1st post.
    Actually you didn't ask how to install the fglrx driver, but xf86-video-ati-7.3.0 (i.e. radeon). Sorry.
    Well, you shouldn't. The radeon driver is included in the distribution and should be installed by default.
    And that file you downloaded is not compatible with openSUSE, it's a package from another distribution.

    Is there any specific reason why you downloaded that file and want to install it?

    If you want to update the radeon driver to 7.3.0 (13.1 includes 7.2.0) you should install the version from the X11:XOrg repo. But you need to update Xorg as well:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_13.1/ X11:XOrg
    sudo zypper dup --from X11:XOrg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •