Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: When to install SAMBA-32bit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    54

    Default When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Hello,

    when do i have to install the 32bit-version of SAMBA additionaly?
    i have openSUSE 11.4, openSUSE 12.2 and now openSUSE 13.1
    instalaed with 64bit kernels and samba as s workgroup-server for
    WINDOWS clients (XP 32bit & W7 64bit).

    Best regards
    AK

  2. #2

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by AchimKl View Post
    when do i have to install the 32bit-version of SAMBA additionaly?
    i have openSUSE 11.4, openSUSE 12.2 and now openSUSE 13.1
    instalaed with 64bit kernels and samba as s workgroup-server for
    WINDOWS clients (XP 32bit & W7 64bit).
    You don't have to.
    Except you are using 32bit programs (clients) on your 64bit system. (wine most likely)
    But then, those packages should pull it in anyway.

    To be clear: (I think that's your actual question)
    You don't need 32bit samba packages on your 64bit _server_ for 32bit Windows network clients to access that server.
    The 64bit server is just fine in that case.

  3. #3

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    In my case, it has been automatically added to the system, when installing the 64 bit Samba package ...

  4. #4

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by PiElle View Post
    In my case, it has been automatically added to the system, when installing the 64 bit Samba package ...
    And why do you ask then when you have to install it?

    I guess it was installed by default, or required/recommended by another package.
    You can safely uninstall it if there are no dependency problems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And why do you ask then when you have to install it?

    I guess it was installed by default, or required/recommended by another package.
    You can safely uninstall it if there are no dependency problems.
    It was AchimKl who was asking the question, not PiElle....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Morning guys,

    @wolfi323
    That what i've seen:
    on openSUSE 11.4 and 12.2 both versions 32bit & 64bit are installed when i do:
    zypper -n in -t pattern file_server print_server
    If i do that on openSUSE 13.1 i only get the 64bit version.
    And yes, i only use WINDOWS Clients to access to the openSUSE
    Linux-Server. The Server is not intended to work directly on it.
    I only use SAMBA and Oracle Express Edition.

    Thanks, this was helpful.
    Best regards.

    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
    English (Auto-Erkennung) » German



  7. #7

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It was AchimKl who was asking the question, not PiElle....
    Yeah, right. Sorry!

    Quote Originally Posted by AchimKl View Post
    And yes, i only use WINDOWS Clients to access to the openSUSE
    Linux-Server. The Server is not intended to work directly on it.
    I only use SAMBA and Oracle Express Edition.
    Again, you don't need any 32bit packages on the server.

    The clients connect via the network anyway, they don't care whether the server is 32bit or 64bit. It's the network protocol that matters, and that is standardized.

    You only need 32bit packages to run 32bit software on that system they are installed on.

  8. #8

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I guess it was installed by default, or required/recommended by another package.
    You can safely uninstall it if there are no dependency problems.
    Yes, it was installed by default and works perfectly, so, actually, there's no need to remove it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: When to install SAMBA-32bit

    Quote Originally Posted by PiElle View Post
    Yes, it was installed by default and works perfectly, so, actually, there's no need to remove it.
    Yes, there's no need to remove it.
    But you can if you want to and everything should work as before.

    It only contains the 32bit version of pam_smbpass anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •