Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

  1. #1

    Default Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    Because of work, I am required to install Windows 7 on my PC. I currently have openSUSE and an Ubuntu-based system (which i will trash if necessary) installed and people I have talked to recommended reinstalling openSUSE after i have installed Windows. I dont want to lose my current system though, so is there a way to install Windows, and then replace the MBR or whatever with GRUB2? Will the windows loader work correctly?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    As MS Windows refuses to recognise that there could ever be any other operating system on the PC, the advise given to you is correct.

    IIRC, you could use Virtualisation to install it inside your openSUSE. But it maybe better to ask about that in the Virtualization sub-forum
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On 2014-02-03 20:26, Bisasam wrote:
    >
    > Because of work, I am required to install Windows 7 on my PC. I
    > currently have openSUSE and an Ubuntu-based system (which i will trash
    > if necessary) installed and people I have talked to recommended
    > reinstalling openSUSE after i have installed Windows. I dont want to
    > lose my current system though, so is there a way to install Windows, and
    > then replace the MBR or whatever with GRUB2? Will the windows loader
    > work correctly?


    The problem is directing Windows to install exactly on the partitions
    you want, instead of taking the entire disk and destroying it all. Not
    only the MBR.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    The problem is directing Windows to install exactly on the partitions
    you want, instead of taking the entire disk and destroying it all. Not
    only the MBR.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    With Windows 7 you can select the partition in the installer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On 2014-02-03 21:26, Bisasam wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2621859 Wrote:
    >>
    >> The problem is directing Windows to install exactly on the partitions
    >> you want, instead of taking the entire disk and destroying it all. Not
    >> only the MBR.


    > With Windows 7 you can select the partition in the installer.


    Not with an OEM CD.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,345
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On Mon 03 Feb 2014 09:38:12 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2014-02-03 21:26, Bisasam wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2621859 Wrote:
    >>
    >> The problem is directing Windows to install exactly on the partitions
    >> you want, instead of taking the entire disk and destroying it all.
    >> Not only the MBR.


    > With Windows 7 you can select the partition in the installer.


    Not with an OEM CD.

    Hi
    I can select which version of Windows (Starter, Home, Professional or
    Ultimate) to install as well as which partition to install in.. This is
    with an OEM Windows 7 DVD. Not an OEM Restore DVD.....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On 2014-02-03 22:54, malcolmlewis wrote:

    > Hi
    > I can select which version of Windows (Starter, Home, Professional or
    > Ultimate) to install as well as which partition to install in.. This is
    > with an OEM Windows 7 DVD. Not an OEM Restore DVD.....


    Right, those do not work.

    You have to try.

    In any case, I would consider installing Windows on a disk with another
    OS installed as a risky operation.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,345
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On Mon 03 Feb 2014 10:13:07 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2014-02-03 22:54, malcolmlewis wrote:

    > Hi
    > I can select which version of Windows (Starter, Home, Professional or
    > Ultimate) to install as well as which partition to install in.. This
    > is with an OEM Windows 7 DVD. Not an OEM Restore DVD.....


    Right, those do not work.

    You have to try.

    In any case, I would consider installing Windows on a disk with another
    OS installed as a risky operation.

    Hi
    Nah, if using UEFI, you can have multiple ESP's then just use the
    openSUSE Rescue CD to boot in via efi and use the efibootmgr to
    configure the nvram as required. In actual fact today I worked on a
    Toshiba Satellite which with the factory install allows you to configure
    a custom partition on where to install windows 7.....

    I have tried many different multiboot scenarios with windows 7 or
    windows 8 along with openSUSE and SLED, no issues here. Windows 8 for
    me is a factory install though, so I would have to do that first, then
    windows 7, then a linux system.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On 2014-02-03 23:34, malcolmlewis wrote:

    > Hi
    > Nah, if using UEFI, you can have multiple ESP's then just use the
    > openSUSE Rescue CD to boot in via efi and use the efibootmgr to
    > configure the nvram as required. In actual fact today I worked on a
    > Toshiba Satellite which with the factory install allows you to configure
    > a custom partition on where to install windows 7.....
    >
    > I have tried many different multiboot scenarios with windows 7 or
    > windows 8 along with openSUSE and SLED, no issues here. Windows 8 for
    > me is a factory install though, so I would have to do that first, then
    > windows 7, then a linux system.


    Oh. Nice surprise...

    But don't manufacturers tend to supply (if they do at all) a CD/DVD that
    reformats the entire disk "to factory mint condition"?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,345
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Installing Windows 7 beside openSUSE

    On Mon 03 Feb 2014 11:03:25 PM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2014-02-03 23:34, malcolmlewis wrote:

    > Hi
    > Nah, if using UEFI, you can have multiple ESP's then just use the
    > openSUSE Rescue CD to boot in via efi and use the efibootmgr to
    > configure the nvram as required. In actual fact today I worked on a
    > Toshiba Satellite which with the factory install allows you to
    > configure a custom partition on where to install windows 7.....
    >
    > I have tried many different multiboot scenarios with windows 7 or
    > windows 8 along with openSUSE and SLED, no issues here. Windows 8 for
    > me is a factory install though, so I would have to do that first, then
    > windows 7, then a linux system.


    Oh. Nice surprise...

    But don't manufacturers tend to supply (if they do at all) a CD/DVD that
    reformats the entire disk "to factory mint condition"?

    Yes, I did an Acer Aspire One as well, that's a pure factory restore,
    no options. I have a DELL latitude in the queue as well, but that's
    running XP Pro, need to finish and iPhone and a Motorola Tablet
    first....

    And my HP 2000 with Windows 8 came with a 4 DVD restore kit, but you
    can skip the applications one... but it does a complete hdd
    wipe/restore.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •