Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo on screen display not working.

Default Lenovo on screen display not working.

My thinkpad has Fn + F8/F9 buttons for changing screen brightness. The buttons themselves work very slowly, to the point that I have to press them 7-10 times to adjust from lowest to highest and at intervals of 2-3 seconds. In addition openSUSE is not showing that brightness is changing the way it is showing volume change. Other distros that I tried (Ubuntu and Mint) didn't have that problem, their onscreen display worked out of the box. So my question is, how do I install the on screen display and how do I make the buttons more responsive?
    I tried searching on google but I found no answers.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lenovo on screen display not working.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdocs12345 View Post
    My thinkpad has Fn + F8/F9 buttons for changing screen brightness. The buttons themselves work very slowly, to the point that I have to press them 7-10 times to adjust from lowest to highest and at intervals of 2-3 seconds. In addition openSUSE is not showing that brightness is changing the way it is showing volume change. Other distros that I tried (Ubuntu and Mint) didn't have that problem, their onscreen display worked out of the box. So my question is, how do I install the on screen display and how do I make the buttons more responsive?
    I tried searching on google but I found no answers.
    Which desktop environment are you using?

FWIW, I have a HP laptop which uses Fn+F9/F10 for adjusting brightness (but no on screen display). I'm using KDE 4.12, and I have also defined global keyboard shortcuts (via KDE System Settings) using CRTL+F9/F10 to decrease/increase screen brightness, and this does provide OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Which desktop environment are you using?

FWIW, I have a HP laptop which uses Fn+F9/F10 for adjusting brightness (but no on screen display). I'm using KDE 4.12, and I have also defined global keyboard shortcuts (via KDE System Settings) using CRTL+F9/F10 to decrease/increase screen brightness, and this does provide OSD.
    Im using KDE 4.11.4 on openSUSE 13.1

My brithness control work, it is just very delayed and slow and no on screen display.

Blog Entries

Im using KDE 4.11.4 on openSUSE 13.1

My brithness control work, it is just very delayed and slow and no on screen display.
    Yes, I understood you. I was just suggesting a workaround - assigning some keyboard shortcuts (like I did)

System Settings >> Shortcuts and Gestures >> Global Keyboard Shortcuts, select 'KDE Daemon' >> 'Decrease Screen Brightness' and assign preferred key combination (can't be Fn+ key combination). Do the same for 'Increase Screen Brightness'.

a workaround - assigning some keyboard shortcuts (like I did)

System Settings >> Shortcuts and Gestures >> Global Keyboard Shortcuts, select 'KDE Daemon' >> 'Decrease Screen Brightness' and assign preferred key combination (can't be Fn+ key combination). Do the same for 'Increase Screen Brightness'.
    This is nice; I learned something new.

On my IBM ThinkPad X41, OSD for the dedicated volume control buttons disappeared with a change from 12.2 to 12.3 (KDE 32-bit). See https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=794444 I'm not sure if this ever had OSD for screen brightness changes (Fn+Home and Fn+End), but there are none in 13.1 KDE.

I added custom shortcuts for volume and brightness up and down, and OSD shows for those actions. On this X41, brightness changes with both the default Fn+Home and Fn+End and the new custom shortcuts are immediate, no delay.

Thanks,
    Howard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    This is nice; I learned something new.

On my IBM ThinkPad X41, OSD for the dedicated volume control buttons disappeared with a change from 12.2 to 12.3 (KDE 32-bit). See https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=794444 I'm not sure if this ever had OSD for screen brightness changes (Fn+Home and Fn+End), but there are none in 13.1 KDE.

I added custom shortcuts for volume and brightness up and down, and OSD shows for those actions. On this X41, brightness changes with both the default Fn+Home and Fn+End and the new custom shortcuts are immediate, no delay.

Thanks,
    Howard
    Glad the workaround is okay for you. Works for me too.

Thank you. That worked! Im 90% happy. However I would like to get everything to work properly, meaning, I would like to use Fn F8/9 keys. Is that at all possible at this point? Is it a bug? Or is this just lack of programing?

Blog Entries

Thank you. That worked! Im 90% happy. However I would like to get everything to work properly, meaning, I would like to use Fn F8/9 keys. Is that at all possible at this point? Is it a bug? Or is this just lack of programing?
    You didn't mention the Lenovo model in question. There have been a number of issues reported with Lenovo models (amongst others), typically brightness keys not working (generally due to to WMI issues), or backlighting not able to be adjusted. It is a likely to be a kernel-related compatibility issue. (I haven't researched much as I haven't been affected.)

Blog Entries

Or are you referring to your X41 model? Others may know workarounds or boot parameters than can help perhaps....

You didn't mention the Lenovo model in question. There have been a number of issues reported with Lenovo models (amongst others), typically brightness keys not working (generally due to to WMI issues), or backlighting not able to be adjusted. It is a likely to be a kernel-related compatibility issue. (I haven't researched much as I haven't been affected.)
    Im using Thinkpad X230. My backlight is working and so is my little LED light on top of the screen However both the mute button is not working and the adjust brightness is not working (well I got the workaround working very well but I would like to have everything working out of the box).
    Is this consider a bug? Could I submit a bug report or is this a feature request?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast