Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

  1. #1

    Question Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Hi, I'm using OpenSUSE 13.1 and I'm trying to watch videos. I read the official thread on the FAQ about this issue, but the link on the bottom seems to be broken. I searched this forum and I found this thread about this issue, which leads to this site. I used the "One click install" link and it installed a bunch of things, but it didn't solve the problem. Then I searched Google and I found this site. I clicked the "One click install" link for Gnome, it installed a lot of things and gave some errors, saying there were missing dependencies and asked if I wanted to change vendor (here is a screenshoot). I accepted changing vendor (even though I don't know what that is), but things are still not working.

    Here is what happens when I try to open a video using Totem:

    http://imageshack.com/a/img546/4813/k5hx.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img593/3093/heky.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img856/5656/inwi.png (what happens if I click "Search")
    http://imageshack.com/a/img819/6038/4tqu.png (what happens if I click "Install")

    I also tryed using other video players (VLC, SMPlayer, SMPlayer2), but nothing seems to work. Could someone give me a hand, please? I don't know what else to do.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by renatov View Post
    Hi, I'm using OpenSUSE 13.1 and I'm trying to watch videos. I read the official thread on the FAQ about this issue, but the link on the bottom seems to be broken. I searched this forum and I found this thread about this issue, which leads to this site. I used the "One click install" link and it installed a bunch of things, but it didn't solve the problem. Then I searched Google and I found this site. I clicked the "One click install" link for Gnome, it installed a lot of things and gave some errors, saying there were missing dependencies and asked if I wanted to change vendor (here is a screenshoot). I accepted changing vendor (even though I don't know what that is), but things are still not working.

    Here is what happens when I try to open a video using Totem:

    http://imageshack.com/a/img546/4813/k5hx.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img593/3093/heky.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img856/5656/inwi.png (what happens if I click "Search")
    http://imageshack.com/a/img819/6038/4tqu.png (what happens if I click "Install")

    I also tryed using other video players (VLC, SMPlayer, SMPlayer2), but nothing seems to work. Could someone give me a hand, please? I don't know what else to do.
    there is no need to search around so much.
    the very first post in the forum sub-section that you posted in is a sticky that explains how to get multimedia working in openSUSE and is much more up to date than the advice you have followed.

    see
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...a-in-One-Click

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canadiana
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    On 02/02/2014 08:36 PM, renatov wrote:
    >
    > (http://imageshack.com/a/img703/3158/9ug7.png)). I accepted (even though
    > I don't know what that is), but things are still not working.
    >


    Why did you accept if you didnt know what it was going to do? It could
    have broken your system. In this case though, all it is doing is
    switching the repository that the package manager uses for that
    particular package to the packman repo (from the standard openSUSE repo)
    which is what you want in this case. To get a better understanding of
    how this works and how you can control it, see
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update. In this case you
    shouldn't have to do anything with vendor changing yourself, I am just
    providing the link so you can get a better understanding of the concept.

    For vlc just install the vlc-codecs package, that should let you use it
    to play your videos.

    Also can you post the output of zypper lr ?


    On 02/02/2014 11:06 PM, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > see
    > http://tinyurl.com/poc5mvl
    >


    Didnt he(?) already link to the one click install the guide links to?

    --
    Was I helpful? Click that little star so that I can brag about it to my
    invisible friends
    Bring the Penguins Back! https://features.opensuse.org/316767

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post

    Didnt he(?) already link to the one click install the guide links to?
    the first one-click link only points to the KDE install - and it seems the user is probably using gnome. (?)
    merely pointing out that this hassle could have been avoided had the first sticky in the multimedia forum been read.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    There are some broken links in the forum

    The 13.1 guide is here
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide

    Please run the gnome code in that guide

    Then do this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ome_Switch.png
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canadiana
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    the first one-click link only points to the KDE install - and it seems the user is probably using gnome. (?)
    merely pointing out that this hassle could have been avoided had the first sticky in the multimedia forum been read.
    Ah okay, I didnt even notice that.


    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    There are some broken links in the forum

    The 13.1 guide is here
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide

    Please run the gnome code in that guide

    Then do this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ome_Switch.png
    Is it not possible to edit the post in the multimedia guide to that link?
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    Ah okay, I didnt even notice that.




    Is it not possible to edit the post in the multimedia guide to that link?
    Sure
    But we are working on solutions to restore the old URL's. So I have my reasons for leaving it as it is
    And it won't help the OP
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    there is no need to search around so much.
    the very first post in the forum sub-section that you posted in is a sticky that explains how to get multimedia working in openSUSE and is much more up to date than the advice you have followed.

    see
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...a-in-One-Click
    I forgot to mention I've already read this, it was the first thread I read actually. But that thread leads to the opensuse-community.org, which I already mentioned that I visited and installed the "one click install" Gnome link.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    There are some broken links in the forum

    The 13.1 guide is here
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide

    Please run the gnome code in that guide

    Then do this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ome_Switch.png
    Thanks for providing me the working link, I'll read it and try to get things working here.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Videos won't play properly (codecs problem?)

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post

    On 02/02/2014 11:06 PM, farcusnz wrote:
    >
    > see
    > http://tinyurl.com/poc5mvl
    >


    Didnt he(?) already link to the one click install the guide links to?
    Exactly, I already did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •