Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "surprise" from apper update! - An unbootable system!!

Angry Another "surprise" from apper update! - An unbootable system!!

I'm reaching the end of my rope with openSuSE 13.1. (I reminisce back the days of openSuSE 11.x, when things just basically WORKED).

I decided to revisit openSuSE 13.1 today, after taking a break from it for a month.

I booted up just fine, everything was as I left it a month ago.
    I spy a nagging little icon telling me I have 2 "important" updates. (My innards tense up with fear, as I recall the last time I "updated", things didn't go smoothly).
    SO.... I UPDATED!! (big mistake).
    The updates completed. I rebooted, everything shut down as usual.
    so....
    I restart the PC, the boot process begins......

AND...

I GET A BLACK SCREEN with the work "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner with a blinking cursor.... AND NOTHING ELSE!

Now what the bloody blazes am I supposed to do? Read 1000 or so MAN pages to figure out how to rescue the system ??? (not bloody likely. I've put enough time, at my billable hourly rate, to buy 5 copies of another proprietary OS!!).

Not only can't I boot into openSuSE, but I can't boot into my other dual-boot distro either!
    openSusE's boot loader was at the helm.

What's wrong with this picture ??? Is this just openSuSE "business as usual" ?
    I took a 5 year hiatus from openSuSE only to come back and experience, what I call, "reverse evolution" with 13.1
    Not at all what I expected. openSuSE 11.x was great!

Short of wiping my HDD clean and reinstalling my other distro (because I refuse to go through this nonsense again),
    what other solution is there?

A VERY disappointed,

Brickheap.

PS - I don't know what the updates were, I can't get a screen shot, my system is 7 yrs. old and runs everything else just fine.
    They need to that screwy "updater". It's an achilles heel of openSuSE.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Another "surprise" from apper update! - An unbootable system!!

Do you have an install DVD available you can boot from?

Blog Entries

PS - I don't know what the updates were, I can't get a screen shot, my system is 7 yrs. old and runs everything else just fine.
    They need to that screwy "updater". It's an achilles heel of openSuSE.
    I would argue that most experienced users don't use it. (I only ever update manually with zypper and apper is disabled.)

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Do you have an install DVD available you can boot from?
    I do, but before I came back to read replies, I d/l'd "boot-repair-cd" at http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/ which fixed the problem.
    It rebuilt the GRUB using the other distro's GRUB that I dual boot to, which I thought was interesting.
    I'd like to have seen how to fix it from the install DVD. I'd prefer not to use 3rd party solutions, but I needed to fix it quickly.

Now the apper is telling me I have another 192 updates. - heh.

Quote Originally Posted by brickheap View Post
    I do, but before I came back to read replies, I d/l'd "boot-repair-cd" at http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/ which fixed the problem.
    It rebuilt the GRUB using the other distro's GRUB that I dual boot to, which I thought was interesting.
    I'd like to have seen how to fix it from the install DVD. I'd prefer not to use 3rd party solutions, but I needed to fix it quickly.

Now the apper is telling me I have another 192 updates. - heh.
    As Deano pointed-out, maybe disable apper, here I uninstalled it.
    Stick with yast or zypper.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I would argue that most experienced users don't use it. (I only ever update manually with zypper and apper is disabled.)
    I made a typo in my original post, that was too late to edit, but I mean't that "they should remove apper from openSuSe".

How exactly would I do that? I haven't used zypper, but I've seen it referenced. Even a link to a reference to its use would help (and any other newbie happening upon this posting).
    I've got to uninstall apper... asap!

Thanks,
    Brickheap.

*Side note: (I'm a former IT guy, and can usually dig myself out of predicaments, even in Linux sometimes, however, I'm in the position now where my mailbox and voicemail are filling up with questions about "what Linux distro should I try", from clients,friends,former co-workers..etc, who are being forced out of Windows XP, and refusing to "upgrade" to Windows 8" . They know I've been trying out about 25 different distro's over the last 4 months, so I'm going through the motions that most newcomers to Linux would do with a newly installed system. They wouldn't know of things such as zypper. I'm not trying to "save the world" or "force feed" any particular distro, but I would like to point them in the direction of something that won't immediately frustrate them to the point of throwing in the towel. They aren't the type to even think to ask a forum question, much less register TO ask one. heh!
    I've had luck with a few of them, linking the right distro to the right person, because I know them).

Blog Entries

Removing apper:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Apper_troubleshooting

For openSUSE 12.2 but still appies:

http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.c...ble-apper.html

Basic zypper guide:

http://opensuse-guide.org/installpackage.php

Don't forget 'man zypper' is your friend.

Thanks deano!

(I particularly liked this line in http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Apper_troubleshooting : "It is in development so sometimes it can be annoying, specially for old openSUSE users..." )

Default Apper is an annoyance to me

Remove that apper. It is a stupid waste of time for me, having to uninstall or deactivate it together with a few other junk packages.

However, at some moment you have to do an update. Here you would have likely encountered the same boot issue.

Quote Originally Posted by brickheap View Post
    my mailbox and voicemail are filling up with questions about "What Linux distro should I try", from clients, friends, former co-workers... etc, who are being forced out of Windows XP, and refusing to "upgrade" to Windows 8"
    I am curious to know why do they resist upgrading to Windows 8? Can't they upgrade to Windows 7 or wait until Windows 8.1? Is it about unwillingness to spend $100? Don't they remember that Windows XP was once an upgrade?

Default Re: Apper is an annoyance to me

However, at some moment you have to do an update. Here you would have likely encountered the same boot issue.
    I can't completely recall what happened last month, but apper had a higher count of updates than YaST did, which was confusing, and because YaST wouldn't update because apper was open, I used apper, and had issues. So, it's hard to say if the same thing would have happened exactly the same way.

I am curious to know why do they resist upgrading to Windows 8? Can't they upgrade to Windows 7 or wait until Windows 8.1? Is it about unwillingness to spend $100? Don't they remember that Windows XP was once an upgrade?
    The cost is higher than just the OS. Support for Office 2003 is ending on 4/8/14. In addition, there's the cost of AV software and replacing incompatible graphics cards (as I've found) in Win 7/8, that worked perfectly in WinXP.

In some cases, they run small business and refuse to purchase new hardware to accommodate Windows 8.

Some have moved to Android/iPad but want to use their aging desktops/large LED's for light office applications, publication, printing, which any of the open source office suites can provide at no additional cost.

Other's simply don't like Windows 8, or feel affronted that M$ is trying to "force" the Metro desktop on them (similar to how people felt about the Unity desktop in Ubuntu). And some, simply can't afford to.

AFAIK Win7 stopped retail sales last year (except pre-installed OEM).

Brickheap.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast