Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "surprise" from apper update! - An unbootable system!!

Default Re: Apper is an annoyance to me

Quote Originally Posted by brickheap View Post
    I can't completely recall what happened last month, but apper had a higher count of updates than YaST did, which was confusing,
    Apper shows updates from _all_ repos (the equivalent to "zypper up"), whereas YaST->Online Update only shows patches from the official update repo ("zypper patch").
    That's why there's a difference in the update count.

If you would remove all extra repositories, they would show the same updates. Or you can set the option "HidePackages=true" in /etc/PackageKit/ZYpp.conf, then Apper should show only the patches from the update repo as well.

And your problem was definitely _not_ caused by Apper. Apper does nothing else than "zypper up", and it especially doesn't (re)install the bootloader. So the same would have happened if you had installed the updates any other way.
    Probably your grub2 config is wrong. Check in YaST->System->Boot Loader.

PS: Apper works just fine nowadays. The only problem it has IMHO is that you cannot resolve dependency conflicts manually, but that's partly because of its (or PackageKit's) design as a cross-distribution tool I'd say.

Yes, Apper blocks YaST, and the reverse is true also. But that's a limitation of the underlying stack (libzypp). If you have one YaST->Software Management window open, you cannot open another one as well. And zypper will also block YaST (and Apper/PackageKit).

Default Re: Another "surprise" from apper update! - An unbootable system!!

Quote Originally Posted by brickheap View Post

I GET A BLACK SCREEN with the work "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner with a blinking cursor.... AND NOTHING ELSE!
    Are you using grub or grub2? If grub2 - could you show content of /etc/default/grub_installdevice (in tags code please)?

Blog Entries

Just a caution.

It is entirely likely that you would have run into the same problem if you had used "Yast online update" instead of "apper". As far as I know, both use the same backend.

There was probably a grub2 update, and something went wrong.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just a caution.

It is entirely likely that you would have run into the same problem if you had used "Yast online update" instead of "apper". As far as I know, both use the same backend.

There was probably a grub2 update, and something went wrong.
    Indeed, and hence I do not subscribe to the things v re. Apper and the update plasmoid. I've been using both for over a year now and have not run into issues I didn't have in Yast's software manager too. Since the new school year started in September my wife uses the updater too, and where she had other issues, none in the Apper / packagekit area. IMHO they're mature and stable.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

On 2014-02-02 15:06, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > nrickert;2621520 Wrote:
    >> Just a caution.
    >>
    >> It is entirely likely that you would have run into the same problem if
    >> you had used "Yast online update" instead of "apper". As far as I know,
    >> both use the same backend.
    >>
    >> There was probably a grub2 update, and something went wrong.

>
    > Indeed, and hence I do not subscribe to the things v re. Apper and the
    > update plasmoid. I've been using both for over a year now and have not
    > run into issues I didn't have in Yast's software manager too. Since the
    > new school year started in September my wife uses the updater too, and
    > where she had other issues, none in the Apper / packagekit area. IMHO
    > they're mature and stable.

I agree.

It would also be interesting to learn what repositories brickheap is
    using. Ie, the output of "zypper lr --details".

And please do so inside code tags (the '#' button in the forum editor).

View this post and the next

Posting in
    Code Tags - A Guide

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    PS: Apper works just fine nowadays. The only problem it has IMHO is that you cannot resolve dependency conflicts manually, but that's partly because of its (or PackageKit's) design as a cross-distribution tool I'd say.

Yes, Apper blocks YaST, and the reverse is true also. But that's a limitation of the underlying stack (libzypp). If you have one YaST->Software Management window open, you cannot open another one as well. And zypper will also block YaST (and Apper/PackageKit).
    Absolutely correct. I have been letting Apper run the additional updates, with several extra repositories, on all my PCs running openSUSE since v12.1 and have had absolutely NO problems because of it. I always scan the list before applying the updates, but rarely have deselected anything.

Also, if the problem was caused by a Grub2 update (which I sincerely doubt, unless you have an oddball disk layout), the update would have been applied by YaST Updates, rather than by Apper. Also, I always do a system backup before applying any updates or significant system changes (a good idea to remember in the future), so I can get back up and running right away if anything should go wrong.

In your case, I would do as Carlos requests, give the output (between CODE tags) as he suggested.

I would also give the output of your partitioning scheme here.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

without knowing just what had a update ......
    It could be anything

for example :

I am using the current NVIDIA.run driver
    if there was to be a kernel update then i would ONLY get a text only boot

the same applies for the ATI/AMD.bin driver

it is a GOOD idea to KNOW , YES KNOW what is being INSTALLED .

the typical linux user is not a lemming ( 1985 apple ad ) .

have a read through the end of
    "/var/log/zypper.log"
    and
    "/var/log/zypp/history"

that "black" screen could be the ATI card ?
    that is if you have a ati 3d card ?

now apper is disabled on my set up
    it is way TOO much like "windows update" ( do get me started on that )

i like to know WHEN and WHAT is being updated !
    That way it i am in the middle of a big project i can WAIT until i am done with the project if it might mess things up

Now most of the third party repos i do not have much problems with
    -- BUT i do set the priorities !!!! ( just like i do with rhel and "yum-priorities" )

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Apper shows updates from _all_ repos (the equivalent to "zypper up"), whereas YaST->Online Update only shows patches from the official update repo ("zypper patch").
    That's why there's a difference in the update count.

If you would remove all extra repositories, they would show the same updates. Or you can set the option "HidePackages=true" in /etc/PackageKit/ZYpp.conf, then Apper should show only the patches from the update repo as well.

And your problem was definitely _not_ caused by Apper. Apper does nothing else than "zypper up", and it especially doesn't (re)install the bootloader. So the same would have happened if you had installed the updates any other way.
    Probably your grub2 config is wrong. Check in YaST->System->Boot Loader.

Ok. Thanks for the added level of understanding. A layer of the onion has been peeled back.
    If grub2 is corrupted then it should still be in the corrupted state it was left in. Because, when I utilized a 3rd party tool to repair grub it chose to fix the grub of Lubuntu, rather than the grub2 of openSuSe, even though openSuSE's bootloader was previously the "active" one. Now, Lubuntu's grub is the active one.

Looking at the Boot Loader in YaST , the only thing I question is the code inserted under

"Optional Kernel Command Line Parameter"
    Code:
    resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6E030L0_E162JZAE-part1 splash=silent quiet showopts
    If "-part1" references the 1st phsyical partition, then it's wrong, because the 1st partition is the swap partition.
    (some 1st partitions start at zero, in which case the 2nd would be 1). I don't know how openSuSE/Boot Loader labels these.
    The boot should be the 2nd partition as shown below, using fdisk.

Code:
    linux-oucb:~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 30.8 GB, 30750031872 bytes, 60058656 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00e100e1

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048     3067903     1532928   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2   *     3067904    26234879    11583488   83  Linux
    /dev/sda3        26234880    43274239     8519680   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4        43276286    60057599     8390657    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5        43276288    60057599     8390656   83  Linux
    sda2 - openSuSE root
    sda2 - openSuSE home
    sda5 - Lubuntu

Thanks,
    Brickheap.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Are you using grub or grub2? If grub2 - could you show content of /etc/default/grub_installdevice (in tags code please)?
    Grub2 - the default that OS13.1 installed.

contents of /etc/default/grub_installdevice :
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6E030L0_E162JZAE-part2
    activate
    Brickheap.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post
    it is a GOOD idea to KNOW , YES KNOW what is being INSTALLED
    Oh, yes ... indeed!

now apper is disabled on my set up
    it is way TOO much like "windows update" ( do get me started on that )

i like to know WHEN and WHAT is being updated !
    That way it i am in the middle of a big project i can WAIT until i am done with the project if it might mess things up
    By default, Apper isn't set to automatically run the updates, unlike Windows, and also unlike Windows, openSUSE Linux does not nag you, trying to convince you your system is not properly protected if you don't have it set to automatic updating; If yours was set to automatic update, it would have to be because you changed it to that.

Instead, by default, it just displays notices that there are updates. When you go to apply them, you get the list of updates, and can then scan through that list and make your decisions. You can deselect one update, or choose not to apply any of them at that time, so you get decide what gets updated and when.

So, if you don't know WHEN and WHAT is being updated, it is your fault, not Apper's.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast