Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

  1. #1

    Default ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Where should I put those fonts ?
    Or how to set fonts search path ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canadiana
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    I think you have to update the font cache after you add a new font (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...l_installation)
    Code:
    fc-cache -vf
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

  3. #3

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    I think you have to update the font cache after you add a new font (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...l_installation)
    Code:
    fc-cache -vf
    thanks

    I do 'sudo fc-cache -vf' before , and find that 'sudo fc-cache -vf' does not search ~/.fonts .
    'fc-cache -vf' does search ~/.fonts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,158

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by waterloo2005 View Post
    Where should I put those fonts ?
    Or how to set fonts search path ?

    Thanks
    Where, what????????????

    You allways first tell which version of openSUSE you use. And which desktop environment.

    Then you describe your problem. A good problems description has three things:
    • what did you do;
    • what did you expect to happen
    • what happened instead.

    And of course always keep in mind: tell us what your goal is and not only the step where you got stuck in reaching that goal.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by waterloo2005 View Post
    I do 'sudo fc-cache -vf' before , and find that 'sudo fc-cache -vf' does not search ~/.fonts .
    'fc-cache -vf' does search ~/.fonts.
    Of course.
    If you run it as root it generates the system-wide cache and the one for root.
    You have to run it as user to generate the user's font cache.

    Btw, if you use KDE, you can also install fonts with KDE's font-installer: Configure Desktop->Fonts Management.

  6. #6

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Where, what????????????

    You allways first tell which version of openSUSE you use. And which desktop environment.

    Then you describe your problem. A good problems description has three things:
    • what did you do;
    • what did you expect to happen
    • what happened instead.

    And of course always keep in mind: tell us what your goal is and not only the step where you got stuck in reaching that goal.
    Thanks . It is my fault.
    I use 13.1 x86_64 gnome 3.10.
    I want to know if I can put my fonts files in ~/.fonts directory.

  7. #7

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by waterloo2005 View Post
    I want to know if I can put my fonts files in ~/.fonts directory.
    Yes, of course.

    If I click on a font in KDE and choose to install it for personal use, it is in fact copied to ~/.fonts/.

    And if I copy a font to ~/.fonts/ manually, it is immediately visible in (newly started) KDE apps without doing anything else.

    Not sure how GNOME works in this respect though...

  8. #8

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    PS: You can add directories that should be searched for fonts in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (or /etc/fonts/local.conf)
    Add something like this inside the <fontconfig></fontconfig> tags:
    Code:
     <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
    But ~/.fonts is specified in the global default configuration (/etc/fonts/fonts.conf) in 13.1, although there is a comment saying it will be removed in the future.

  9. #9

    Default Re: ~/.fonts directory does not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    PS: You can add directories that should be searched for fonts in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (or /etc/fonts/local.conf)
    Add something like this inside the <fontconfig></fontconfig> tags:
    Code:
     <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
    But ~/.fonts is specified in the global default configuration (/etc/fonts/fonts.conf) in 13.1, although there is a comment saying it will be removed in the future.
    Thanks , this is what I want to know.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •