openSuSE 13.1: XDMCP doesn't autodetect remote hosts

Greetings!

Although I already got XDMCP up and running, there is still a little drop of bitterness in all this: For some reason my X terminal fails to autodetect my remote X server. I have to manually add the remote server to the XDMCP chooser, which in turn causes it to show up, but then the stats don’t get auto-updated.

What I have done so far is the following:

• X terminal
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
    ** CHOOSER BROADCAST #uncommented this line*

The line containing only the asterisk stays commented out (I don’t want terminals to connect to this box)

/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
DisplayManager.requestPort: 177

Just added the XDMCP port number here

/usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
Port=177

Is this necessary to be able to receive replies to XDMCP broadcast requests?

The displaymanager sysconfig is set to not listen to remote queries and to open port 6000/tcp.

• Remote X server
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
    ** #uncommented this line*

The line dealing with the chooser stays commented out.

/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
DisplayManager.requestPort: 177

Just added the XDMCP port number here

/usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
Port=177

I have also opened the necessary ports in the firewalls on both machines (i. e. 177/udp in both firewalls in the appropriate zones and 6000/tcp only on the X terminal). I have also allowed XDMCP broadcasts in both firewalls.

Right now this enables me to

• Get an X display manually (i. e. X -query <ipaddr>:0)
  • Detect the remote server by explicitly entering its IP address in the chooser
  • Connect to any servers that I have added manually via XDMCP

However, I want the remote server to automatically show up in the chooser window so I can immediately select it without having to type anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please, for your next posts, do not use italics, bolds, etc. for copied/pasted computer texts. Paste them between CODE tags. Use the # button in the toolbar of the post editor.