Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November


    This is important.

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November
    Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:33:27 +0100
    From: Stephan Kulow <...@suse.de>
    To: suse-factory <opensuse-factory@opensuse.org>

    Hi,

    After reviewing the mailing list thread - and verifying with SUSE
    management that there is no other news, I guess I need to clarify
    some bits.

    To avoid any further uncertainties let's put this whole discussion
    to rest and name the beast: 13.2 will be released in November 2014.

    As 12.2 has shown, summer releases are *bad* - especially with
    conferences in spring, so I just don't want to go there and avoid the
    July release.

    This means: I will take the 13.1 release schedule and adapt it and
    start releasing milestones soon enough. IMO enough people volunteered
    to help and I sure hope they stick to their claim. As a reminder:
    http://s.kulow.org/131-issues shows what tasks the openSUSE
    team collected as TODO - so please be ready to say which of those tasks
    you volunteer for. 13.1 Milestone1 was in May - so openSUSE conference
    in April is the perfect time to bootstrap a release team.

    Naturally the release after 13.2 would be again in July - and the same
    argument applies then too, but let's talk about the future schedule once
    we have experience with the 12 months.

    Greetings, Stephan

    --
    To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@opensuse.org
    To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-factory+owner@opensuse.org




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    This is important.
    Thanks for forwarding.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    There are links to related posts at http://www.linux.com/news/software/a...es-at-opensuse

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    On 2014-01-31 23:16, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > There are links to related posts at http://tinyurl.com/lv7w386


    That post is not accurate. Instead, go to the sources:

    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00378.html

    Please read the entire thread before forming an opinion.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-01-31 23:16, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > There are links to related posts at http://tinyurl.com/lv7w386


    That post is not accurate. Instead, go to the sources:

    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00378.html

    Please read the entire thread before forming an opinion.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    I saw that link and I presumed he got tired reading the long thread
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    On 2014-02-01 07:26, conram wrote:
    > I saw that link and I presumed he got tired reading the long thread


    It IS a long and confusing thread. Contradictory things are said. The
    post he linked at linux.com just picks on the initial post of the
    thread, and even the author said it was incorrect. I hesitate to say my
    opinion here lest I be mistaken too.

    It seems that the suse staff will be thinking till August on how to
    organize (I think) so that they can not do the release things
    themselves, this time at least. What they'll do later I have not clear,
    it will probably depend on what they decide on those sessions or
    meetings or whatever. The release date has to be pushed to November to
    give time to others to pick up, and/or to give time to the suse part of
    the team.

    This is a very rough sketch and I could be easily confused. I'm drinking
    my early morning tea. Too many neurones are not awake yet.

    In parallel, there is discussion of going to a yearly release cycle or
    keeping the 8 month cycle.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-02-01 07:26, conram wrote:
    > I saw that link and I presumed he got tired reading the long thread


    It IS a long and confusing thread. Contradictory things are said. The
    post he linked at linux.com just picks on the initial post of the
    thread, and even the author said it was incorrect. I hesitate to say my
    opinion here lest I be mistaken too.

    It seems that the suse staff will be thinking till August on how to
    organize (I think) so that they can not do the release things
    themselves, this time at least. What they'll do later I have not clear,
    it will probably depend on what they decide on those sessions or
    meetings or whatever. The release date has to be pushed to November to
    give time to others to pick up, and/or to give time to the suse part of
    the team.

    This is a very rough sketch and I could be easily confused. I'm drinking
    my early morning tea. Too many neurones are not awake yet.

    In parallel, there is discussion of going to a yearly release cycle or
    keeping the 8 month cycle.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)
    If my memory serves I saw your post and the assurance regarding some
    explanations in the thread made some sigh of relief to you also.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    On 2014-02-01 17:46, conram wrote:

    > If my memory serves I saw your post and the assurance regarding some
    > explanations in the thread made some sigh of relief to you also.


    Yep.

    If you keep reading it (factory link), you will see some explosive
    comments of disgust on how it was initially expressed and the consequences.

    {bewildered}

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    On 02/01/2014 12:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2014-02-01 17:46, conram wrote:
    >
    >> If my memory serves I saw your post and the assurance regarding some
    >> explanations in the thread made some sigh of relief to you also.

    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > If you keep reading it (factory link), you will see some explosive
    > comments of disgust on how it was initially expressed and the consequences.


    It was really badly written. My interpretation of what was said is that the
    openSUSE devs cannot meet the 8-month cycle without improving the infrastructure
    used to create a new release. These changes include a new version of openqa for
    automated testing, and a new model that splits the code into rings such that a
    particular package cannot depend on any other one in an outer ring. That latter
    change will reduce the load on the build system by reducing the rebuilds that
    are not necessary.

    Because of these changes, it will not be possible to meet the release date of
    July 2014 for 13.2. The proposal is to release 13.2 in November 2014, and then
    return to the 8-month cycle so that 13.3 would be out in July 2015. Under
    discussion, but not yet approved, is the possibility of a mid-cycle respin of
    the distribution to include any updated packages.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Srbija
    Posts
    221

    Angry Re: Fwd: [opensuse-factory] Announce: 13.2 release in November

    It was really badly written. My interpretation of what was said is that the
    openSUSE devs cannot meet the 8-month cycle without improving the infrastructure
    used to create a new release. These changes include a new version of openqa for
    automated testing, and a new model that splits the code into rings such that a
    particular package cannot depend on any other one in an outer ring. That latter
    change will reduce the load on the build system by reducing the rebuilds that
    are not necessary.
    Exactly!
    This is creating a lot of negative feedback from the Linux community and should be fixed with a official statement. As I read on various Linux news sites the tone is not set properly.
    As written on, for example, LWN.net the confusion is spreading so people have to jump intoto comments to clerify https://lwn.net/Articles/583782/
    VERBA VOLANT, SCRIPTA MANENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •