Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Between keyboard and chair
    Posts
    96

    Default Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    I have a strange problem with one specific USB HD. Upon plugging it in or switching on the power to the drive housing, it is detected by the kernel and it is possible to mount and access the drive. However, at random times, I receive a disconnect. This can be right after connecting the drive, sometimes after a few minutes. Even if the disk is not in use. I can't put my finger on what might cause this problem.

    Here is the output from dmesg:
    Code:
    [  812.041844] usb 3-3: new high-speed USB device number 124 using xhci_hcd
    [  812.055149] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=152d, idProduct=2336
    [  812.055158] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=5
    [  812.055164] usb 3-3: Product: JM20336 SATA, USB Combo
    [  812.055168] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: JMicron
    [  812.055172] usb 3-3: SerialNumber: DCAA71766928
    [  812.105870] usb-storage 3-3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [  812.105949] scsi7 : usb-storage 3-3:1.0
    [  812.106000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    [  813.109641] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WDC WD20 EARS-00MVWB0          PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
    [  813.110062] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
    [  813.110707] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB)
    [  813.111402] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    [  813.111411] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00
    [  813.113591] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.113600] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.116594] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.116596] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.134564]  sdc: sdc1 sdc2
    [  813.137007] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.137009] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.137011] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
    [  816.825638] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 124
    As you can see, the disconnect is almost immediate.

    For testing purposes, I have already tried swapping the USB cable for another one but this makes no difference. Also, if I use the same cable that came with the drive and I hook it up to a laptop, the disk can be mounted and I can use it as expected. No disconnections and transfer rates high enough to be able to watch video.
    I have tried hooking up the drive to another USB port of the system but this makes no difference. However, if I plug in a USB thumb drive, I can use that normally, transfer files and watch video without interruption. So I doubt there's anything wrong with the USB hardware on the PC.
    I have also tried disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS, without effect.

    Here is the relevant output from lspci and lsusb:
    Code:
    # lspci | grep USB
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
    
    # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:09a4 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam E 3500
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    I am running openSUSE 13.1, up to date with patches and all.

    Is there anything else I could try to fix this or an area where I could look into?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,700
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by joopberis View Post
    I have a strange problem with one specific USB HD. Upon plugging it in or switching on the power to the drive housing, it is detected by the kernel and it is possible to mount and access the drive. However, at random times, I receive a disconnect. This can be right after connecting the drive, sometimes after a few minutes. Even if the disk is not in use. I can't put my finger on what might cause this problem.

    Here is the output from dmesg:
    Code:
    [  812.041844] usb 3-3: new high-speed USB device number 124 using xhci_hcd
    [  812.055149] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=152d, idProduct=2336
    [  812.055158] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=5
    [  812.055164] usb 3-3: Product: JM20336 SATA, USB Combo
    [  812.055168] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: JMicron
    [  812.055172] usb 3-3: SerialNumber: DCAA71766928
    [  812.105870] usb-storage 3-3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [  812.105949] scsi7 : usb-storage 3-3:1.0
    [  812.106000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    [  813.109641] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WDC WD20 EARS-00MVWB0          PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
    [  813.110062] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
    [  813.110707] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB)
    [  813.111402] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    [  813.111411] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00
    [  813.113591] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.113600] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.116594] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.116596] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.134564]  sdc: sdc1 sdc2
    [  813.137007] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [  813.137009] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  813.137011] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
    [  816.825638] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 124
    I note the 'xhci_hcd' reference. Are you connecting via a USB 3 port? This can present issues for some USB 2 hardware. Do you have a USB 2 port to try?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Between keyboard and chair
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    According to the specs, this machine has two rear USB 3 ports, two rear USB 2 ports and one USB 3 port in front. And no matter which port I connect the HD to, it always says xhci_hcd. The USB 3 ports are all marked with the the text "USB 3" so my guess is that the two remaining ones are USB 2.

    What I also don't understand is how two weeks ago, the mount on this disc was stable. There were no disconnects and I was able to restore roughly 500 GB from it to the computer without so much as a hiccup. Somewhere around 2 weeks ago, the issues began, but there's hardly a pattern. Yesterday, I was able to use it normally. Today, the disc connected and disconnected for the first 15 minutes after booting the PC. Now it appears stable...

    I'm really confused. Any ideas of where to look or what logs or output I could supply that would help?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,700
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by joopberis View Post
    According to the specs, this machine has two rear USB 3 ports, two rear USB 2 ports and one USB 3 port in front. And no matter which port I connect the HD to, it always says xhci_hcd. The USB 3 ports are all marked with the the text "USB 3" so my guess is that the two remaining ones are USB 2.

    What I also don't understand is how two weeks ago, the mount on this disc was stable. There were no disconnects and I was able to restore roughly 500 GB from it to the computer without so much as a hiccup. Somewhere around 2 weeks ago, the issues began, but there's hardly a pattern. Yesterday, I was able to use it normally. Today, the disc connected and disconnected for the first 15 minutes after booting the PC. Now it appears stable...

    I'm really confused. Any ideas of where to look or what logs or output I could supply that would help?
    Is the USB HDD a USB 2 device?

    If you don't actually need USB 3 functionality, it might be possible to disable in the BIOS?

    As a test, you could also try blacklisting the 'xhci_hcd' module. It will prevent USB 3 functionality, but hopefully the USB 2 host controller and driver will operate as expected. To do this
    Code:
    echo xhci_hcd  > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    then reboot. Then, try plugging in the HDD again. Hopefully the ehci_hcd module will load instead. (IIRC, this is built-in to the kernel). If this doesn't work, you'll need to remove blacklist.conf (as root).

    There are lots of bug reports concerning the xhci_hcd module and various USB 3 hardware, so you may need to search and read. Consider submitting a bug report.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 03-Feb-2014 at 15:50. Reason: Typo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Between keyboard and chair
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Yes, this HD is a USB 2 device.
    I've checked the BIOS and the only two options I have there concerning USB functionality, are to enable or disable legacy USB support. I've tried both settings and neither makes a difference.

    I'll try blacklisting hp-wmi and see what that does.
    For testing purposes, wouldn't a "rmmod xhci_hcd" and "insmod ehci_hcd" have the same effect without requiring a reboot? Or is that a false assumption?

    Good to know I'm not the only one with this type of problem, at least.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,700
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by joopberis View Post
    I'll try blacklisting hp-wmi and see what that does.
    No, not hp-wmi. That was a mistake. I meant xhci_hcd...

    For testing purposes, wouldn't a "rmmod xhci_hcd" and "insmod ehci_hcd" have the same effect without requiring a reboot?
    No, because the host controllers are detected at boot and module loaded AFAIU, but won't be if blacklisted. (I'm open to being corrected on that. I don't have USB 3 hardware to play with)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,333
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    On Fri 31 Jan 2014 01:36:01 PM CST, joopberis wrote:


    I have a strange problem with one specific USB HD. Upon plugging it in
    or switching on the power to the drive housing, it is detected by the
    kernel and it is possible to mount and access the drive. However, at
    random times, I receive a disconnect. This can be right after connecting
    the drive, sometimes after a few minutes. Even if the disk is not in
    use. I can't put my finger on what might cause this problem.

    Here is the output from dmesg:

    Code:
    --------------------
    [ 812.041844] usb 3-3: new high-speed USB device number 124 using
    xhci_hcd [ 812.055149] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=152d,
    idProduct=2336 [ 812.055158] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
    Product=2, SerialNumber=5 [ 812.055164] usb 3-3: Product: JM20336
    SATA, USB Combo [ 812.055168] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: JMicron
    [ 812.055172] usb 3-3: SerialNumber: DCAA71766928
    [ 812.105870] usb-storage 3-3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    [ 812.105949] scsi7 : usb-storage 3-3:1.0
    [ 812.106000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    [ 813.109641] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access WDC WD20
    EARS-00MVWB0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS [ 813.110062] sd 7:0:0:0:
    Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0 [ 813.110707] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc]
    3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB) [ 813.111402]
    sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off [ 813.111411] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc]
    Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00 [ 813.113591] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for
    cache data failed [ 813.113600] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive
    cache: write through [ 813.116594] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache
    data failed [ 813.116596] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache:
    write through [ 813.134564] sdc: sdc1 sdc2
    [ 813.137007] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [ 813.137009] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 813.137011] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
    [ 816.825638] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 124

    --------------------


    As you can see, the disconnect is almost immediate.

    For testing purposes, I have already tried swapping the USB cable for
    another one but this makes no difference. Also, if I use the same cable
    that came with the drive and I hook it up to a laptop, the disk can be
    mounted and I can use it as expected. No disconnections and transfer
    rates high enough to be able to watch video.
    I have tried hooking up the drive to another USB port of the system but
    this makes no difference. However, if I plug in a USB thumb drive, I can
    use that normally, transfer files and watch video without interruption.
    So I doubt there's anything wrong with the USB hardware on the PC.
    I have also tried disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS, without
    effect.

    Here is the relevant output from lspci and lsusb:

    Code:
    --------------------
    # lspci | grep USB
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series
    Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05) 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel
    Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset
    Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05) # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:09a4 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam E 3500
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129
    Card Reader Controller Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux
    Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux
    Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux
    Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux
    Foundation 3.0 root hub
    --------------------


    I am running openSUSE 13.1, up to date with patches and all.

    Is there anything else I could try to fix this or an area where I could
    look into?


    Hi
    That would indicate power loss from your external power source, can you
    check it's all ok and provides enough power to drive the installed
    device.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Between keyboard and chair
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    No, not hp-wmi. That was a mistake. I meant xhci_hcd...
    And I knew what you meant and simply copied it over anyway. Guess it's time for bed...

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    No, because the host controllers are detected at boot and module loaded AFAIU, but won't be if blacklisted. (I'm open to being corrected on that. I don't have USB 3 hardware to play with)
    Afraid you're right on that one. At least, when I try to do that, the module ehci_hcd isn't found.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,700
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    That would indicate power loss from your external power source, can you
    check it's all ok and provides enough power to drive the installed
    device.
    That was my initial thought too. A good idea to check, especially since the OP does claim it is intermittent...possibly heat-related?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,333
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Odd problem USB HD, keeps disconnecting

    On Mon 03 Feb 2014 11:16:01 PM CST, deano ferrari wrote:


    malcolmlewis;2621906 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > That would indicate power loss from your external power source, can
    > you check it's all ok and provides enough power to drive the installed
    > device.

    That was my initial thought too. A good idea to check, especially since
    the OP does claim it is intermittent...possibly heat-related?


    Hi
    If it's not that then I would suspect a faulty drive. You need to
    connect it to a system though as smartctl won't work on usb devices....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •