OpenSuSE 12.3 and GNOME Desktop Effects

Hey All,

**Version: OpenSuSE 12.3 (3.7.10-1.1-desktop)

So I run OpenSuSE 11.4 *(with GNOME Desktop) on my personal laptop *(still a big fan of this version) and I remember being able to disable the Desktop Effects of GNOME, I believe by using the Compiz Config Settings Manager, I think…?

But I now have 12.3 installed on a Dell PowerEdge Server, with Gnome and GDM as the Window and Display Managers. I did not see the Compiz Config Settings Manager installed on the Server, so I installed it. And it doesn’t seem to do anything when I change values set here… Not sure if Compiz works with 12.3 or if it was even the correct thing to try, but thought I’d give it a shot. But no such luck…

The problem is the desktop runs really slow and there is quite a bit of a delay when typing, dragging windows, opening new windows, etc… Which is making it hard to do the things I need to do. So is there anyway I can disable these Desktop/3D Effects of the GNOME Desktop? I know its not just the server causing the slowness, because if I use a low impact window/display manager like twm or similar, things run at very fast speeds with no delays… But I would like to keep the GNOME Desktop if possible.

Could anyone tell me how I go about disabling these effects to make things run faster? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

***EDIT: *** I attached a screenshot from my OpenSuSE 11.4 laptop. It is a screenshot of the Control Center and the apps I used to enable/disable desktop effects…

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u658/mrm5102/opensuse_control-center_effects_zps741b9625.jpg

AFAIK Gnome no longer uses Compiz

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Ok… Do you know what program, if any, I would use to disable stuff like the desktop effects?

And is it still called “Desktop Effects”, or does it go by a different name now?

Thanks,
Matt

mmartin0926 wrote:
>
> gogalthorp;2620738 Wrote:
>> AFAIK Gnome no longer uses Compiz
>
> Hey, thanks for the reply!
>
> Ok… Do you know what program, if any, I would use to disable stuff
> like the desktop effects?
>
> And is it still called “Desktop Effects”, or does it go by a different
> name now?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
>
Install dconf editor and set/unset the property
org.gnome.desktop.interface
enable-animations

GNOME 3.10.2
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

Hey vazhavandan, thanks for the reply.

Ok, cool I’ll give that a shot when I get a chance and I’ll post back what happens…
Thanks again for the reply!

Thanks,
matt