Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.3 KNetwork Manager - Two networks bug?

Default 12.3 KNetwork Manager - Two networks bug?

I have just installed 12.3 on a laptop for somebody and I have noticed what I think is a bug in KNetwork Manager.

I use the wired ethernet connection for installs and then enable the wireless one when all the heavy lifting has been done.

For the user's convenience, I installed network manager so that they could switch among several wireless APs.

I have noticed that when I have the cable plugged in at the same time as one of the user's wireless APs is available, network manager connects them both. This is undesirable and I can find no settings in the network manager widget that allows me to specify that if the cable is connected, don't try to set up the wireless..

If there were only the possibility of a wired and a single wireless AP, I could use ifup to prioritise the cable over the wireless but that is not the case with this user.

This situation was reported over a year ago as bug in network manager that occured between release 0.6 and 0.7 I think.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Default Re: 12.3 KNetwork Manager - Two networks bug?

It is of course a bit difficult for a designer what to do in which case. I also heard about the wired connection being prefered above the wifi and thus switching off the wifi when the cable was connected. But I guess that is only applicable when cable and wifi connect to the same network. When the two IP addresses are from different networks, I guess that one could decide that then the wifi should not be switched off.

The above is a bit of an idea from me, no hard prove known, but it seems logical.

So the question then would be, are these two connections to the same or different networks (IP ranges).
    Henk van Velden

Henk, thanks for the reply.

My apologies, I should have made it clearer. Yes, they are on the same network acquiring addresses from the same DHCP server.

Looking back over my notes, I realised that this issue had been brought up in 2008 when it was noticed as being a difference in behaviour between two release of network manager.

I, too, can see the rational for being able to run multiple network interfaces at the same time. All the "desktop" machines in my home network have at least two NICs. One connects to the router that gives outside world access and the other(s) are for intra-net comms for NFS, printing, scanning and the like.

Intuitively, I think what should be happening is that the network manager should be giving me the options to specify just what I need my NICs to be configured as. That is, do I want them all up or do I want two or more to be mutually exclusive? If the latter, what priority do I want for them?

Looking at one of my own laptops for which I used ifup and banned network manager, I thought I could use the "priority" option to give me the situation whereby if the wired was up, the wireless would not be brought up and vice-versa. However, when I plugged in a wire, I found that both the wireless NIC and the wired one came up.

I will be looking more closely at the documentation for ifup later today to see if I have made a configuration mistake here.

I have also got a script that I might try to enable me to achieve what I want despite network manager. Will post it here if it succeeds.

I do not use NetworkManager at all (having only desktop systems here), so apart from my logic above (which ma b far from what happens "real life", I can not contribute much.

Only thing is that I know that when using ifup, you can then (through YaST e.g.) choose when you want your NIC being up. E.g. on boot, or on cable connection. I do not know if NM offers such a feature and if it may help.
    Henk van Velden

Hello Henk.

No, it doesn't. The best it has is an "automatic" connection.

Quote Originally Posted by antttikutoja View Post
    Hello Henk.

No, it doesn't. The best it has is an "automatic" connection.
    Sorry, better wait for a real NM guru
    Henk van Velden

I can confirm that if you exclude network manager and uses ifup to manage the NICs, you can get a perfectly reasonable outcome.

If you have multiple NICs going on the same network, simply use the "On Cable Plug In" option for them and use the priority to define your preferences. Zero will always bring it up otherwise the one with the highest priority will be used provided it can be brought up.

Fixed address NICs should go to zero. I am not at all sure how one would handle say 4 NICs to give you the option of two on one network and two on the other. Possibly a mix of fixed addresses and priority but, thankfully, I don't have that situation.

In the short-term, I've told the user to switch off the wireless if they want to use the cable but I am still looking for a better solution.

To whom do I submit the desired behaviour request to? Anybody know?

Blog Entries

I can confirm that if you exclude network manager and uses ifup to manage the NICs, you can get a perfectly reasonable outcome.

If you have multiple NICs going on the same network, simply use the "On Cable Plug In" option for them and use the priority to define your preferences. Zero will always bring it up otherwise the one with the highest priority will be used provided it can be brought up.

Fixed address NICs should go to zero. I am not at all sure how one would handle say 4 NICs to give you the option of two on one network and two on the other. Possibly a mix of fixed addresses and priority but, thankfully, I don't have that situation.

In the short-term, I've told the user to switch off the wireless if they want to use the cable but I am still looking for a better solution.

To whom do I submit the desired behaviour request to? Anybody know?
    This 'dispatcher.d script' solution might suit

http://superuser.com/questions/23344...k-is-available

It is designed to drop the wireless connection as soon as wired ethernet connectivity is available. (Obviously, you'll have to edit the naming to suit your ethernet interface.)

Hi Deano and thanks for this.

In fact, I have a script that is basically the same as one of the others posted on that thread so I will give them a try.

I am a bit concerned that we even need to do this. I don't understand why it is considered desirable to have more than one NIC to the same network but...

ifplugd does exactly what is needed in this case so I wonder why the same logic cannot be applied to the Network Manager.

I would like to engage with the guys who maintain the Network Manager stuff about this so do you happen to know who they are?.

Blog Entries

Hi Deano and thanks for this.

In fact, I have a script that is basically the same as one of the others posted on that thread so I will give them a try.
    Good. Let us know how you get on.

I am a bit concerned that we even need to do this. I don't understand why it is considered desirable to have more than one NIC to the same network but...
    I have to connect to multiple networks and devices in the course of my job, and so have a variety of wired and wireless network connections defined. Most are not set to 'Connect Automatically', instead I select them manually to connect to devices using various default IP addresses/subnets. I only have a gateway assigned to the interface I use for internet connectivity. Thus, I can reach LAN or internet on one interface, while configuring a network device or managing another network.

ifplugd does exactly what is needed in this case so I wonder why the same logic cannot be applied to the Network Manager.
    Well, clearly it has the flexibility to do so (ie dispatcher scripts), but I find it useful the way it is. I prefer to manually select the connectivity anyway.

I would like to engage with the guys who maintain the Network Manager stuff about this so do you happen to know who they are?.

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listi...rkmanager-list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast