Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any app for locking pendrive...?

Default Is there any app for locking pendrive...?

Hello,

I am having a pen drive which I have to use in Linux as well as in Windows (in office). Is there any possibility such that it prompts for a password before depicting its contents so that only some authorized persons can view it even when it is visible anywhere...?

Thanks.
    Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) (i586) KDE 4.10.5 "release 1" Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

Default Re: Is there any app for locking pendrive...?

You can use encryption TrueCrypt should be usable in both Windows and Linux

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You can use encryption TrueCrypt should be usable in both Windows and Linux
    Is it possible to use this when I have pen drive already full with data?
    Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) (i586) KDE 4.10.5 "release 1" Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

Yep...........

You could also compress it all together and then use gpg but its more of a headache than Truecrypt.
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    You could also compress it all together and then use gpg but its more of a headache than Truecrypt.
    Yes, and I was more looking for a simple GUI method...Came to know that Truecrypt is called as "Realcrypt" in openSUSE. But the problem is that without formatting the whole drive, its not possible to do this (I came to know)....Its okay for small drives, but there is an issue because I have a 320 GB hard disk (external) which is full with data and upon which I wish to provide a password/encryption!

I'm not aware of any crypt programs other then truecrypt that work across different OS's. There are solutions that can encrypt files or directories but I don't think they will work across OS's

Procedure would be copy data off device create the Truecrypt volume and copy data back to the now encrypted device.

You say the device is full. encryption can add some overhead so that may be an issue. So how full. is there any free space?

On 2014-01-31 12:16, panchparmeshthi wrote:

> Yes, and I was more looking for a simple GUI method...Came to know that
    > Truecrypt is called as "Realcrypt" in openSUSE. But the problem is that
    > without formatting the whole drive, its not possible to do this (I came
    > to know)....Its okay for small drives, but there is an issue because I
    > have a 320 GB hard disk (external) which is full with data and upon
    > which I wish to provide a password/encryption!

There is no other way than encryption, and all methods require reformatting.

It is possible, though, to create a large file, encrypted, which is used
    as another virtual disk. I understand truecrypt supports this.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

The device is full in the sense that out of 320 GBs only around 30-40 MBs are free. Apart from it, anyhow I would have to copy the files on the hard drive and move them back. Else, I am thinking to do encryption in individual directories separately, so that I can do this and it could be better. Also, I didn't find Truecrypt in the Yast. I guess it is Realcrypt in openSUSE which should (?) work in different OS...I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by panchparmeshthi View Post
    The device is full in the sense that out of 320 GBs only around 30-40 MBs are free. Apart from it, anyhow I would have to copy the files on the hard drive and move them back. Else, I am thinking to do encryption in individual directories separately, so that I can do this and it could be better. Also, I didn't find Truecrypt in the Yast. I guess it is Realcrypt in openSUSE which should (?) work in different OS...I guess.
    I believe if you want to use Truecrypt itself you have to download a binary from the Truecrypt website or compile it from the source they provide. Not sure about Realcrypt though, never used it myself.
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast