Thread: How is it possible for Flash-plugin to crash the whole KDE?

Default How is it possible for Flash-plugin to crash the whole KDE?

For some time now i've been frustrating that if i scroll in web ex. youtube that have allot Flash, then suddenly the whole KDE crash and i'm stuck in cli!?
    How can a simple flash-plugin crash the whole KDE? Noe only KDE, but all services. My Virtualbox host is also killed. I have to reboot computer to get it up running again.
    Normally it should be only the flash-plugin that should crash or in worst case the web-browser, not the whole KDE/System.

I'm very sure its the flash-plugin that cause the crash, because this happens only on web-pages with heavy use of flash.
    I use web-browser; Opera 12.15 w/flash 11,2,202,335

OpenSUSE 13.1 64bits
    AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M w/driver AMD prop 13.251-131206a
    KDE 4.11.5

Default Re: How is it possible for Flash-plugin to crash the whole KDE?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnys View Post
    For some time now i've been frustrating that if i scroll in web ex. youtube that have allot Flash, then suddenly the whole KDE crash and i'm stuck in cli!?
    How can a simple flash-plugin crash the whole KDE? Noe only KDE, but all services. My Virtualbox host is also killed. I have to reboot computer to get it up running again.
    Normally it should be only the flash-plugin that should crash or in worst case the web-browser, not the whole KDE/System.

I'm very sure its the flash-plugin that cause the crash, because this happens only on web-pages with heavy use of flash.
    I use web-browser; Opera 12.15 w/flash 11,2,202,335
    The flash plugin shouldn't be able to crash the whole KDE system.
    In your case most likely X crashes, which would point to a problem with the graphics driver.

Maybe try to disable hardware acceleration in flash's settings. (right-click on a flash video to get to them)

Do you have other graphics related problems as well?

Maybe try the latest beta driver, this at least fixes one crashing bug:
    Resolves crash when resizing Konsole
    Packages are available in the fglrx-beta repo:
    http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fgl...openSUSE_13.1/

Maybe you have right about X crashing, but i'm past Beta-stage. I use the new public final release av proprietary AMD-driver :-)

RS

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The flash plugin shouldn't be able to crash the whole KDE system.
    In your case most likely X crashes, which would point to a problem with the graphics driver.

Maybe try to disable hardware acceleration in flash's settings. (right-click on a flash video to get to them)

Do you have other graphics related problems as well?

Maybe try the latest beta driver, this at least fixes one crashing bug:

Packages are available in the fglrx-beta repo:
    http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fgl...openSUSE_13.1/

Quote Originally Posted by ronnys View Post
    Maybe you have right about X crashing, but i'm past Beta-stage. I use the new public final release av proprietary AMD-driver :-)
    Well, that was just a suggestion. I don't even know if it would help.

Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration in flash? That _should_ help I think (if it's indeed the flash plugin that causes the crash).