Firefox (and Thunderbird) die with "g_slice_set_config" error on opensuse 13.1

I’m having fits with Firefox (and Thunderbird) throwing the following error:

(process:13664): GLib-CRITICAL **:g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

The year old bug report at “https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=833117” hadn’t been touched since Nov of last year (though there was some indeterminate activity today)…

The even older bug report (Jul of 2011) at “https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672671” also still seeing recent, but indeterminate activity.

As I don’t see these mozilla tantrums on the production 12.3 machines, I quickly assumed it’s related to the spanking new 13.1 (but I’m thinking it’s more likely related to some errant package/config). While there’s a bunch of packages on the 13.1 machine, it’s very similarly configured to the 12.3 systems. I’ve gone through the repos/packages to make sure there isn’t some sort of tangle there, but all are correctly set for 13.1, and look to be in good order.

In an attempt to resolve on 13.1, I’ve created a new “Test” user profile/folder, but with the same error. Interestingly, under the new “Test” user account, Firefox opens the browser window, and even renders the entire default opensuse homepage before quickly dying (the new user account probably has less extensions/config to load than the normal user account does).

The next step was to “Switch System Packages” under Yast to use the newer/different MozillaFirefox-26.0-1.2 from “http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_13.1”, but with the same results.

I’ve also unsuccessfully tried the removal (with a logout/login) of the qtcurve-gtk2 & qtcurve-kde4 packages (KDE is currently configured to use oxygen and the “oxygen-gtk” for both GTK2 & GTK3).

Also upgraded KDE to Release of 4.12 for 13.1 to no avail. That KDE really is the bees-knees for desktops that have real workflow/work!

The workstation is setup with nVidia’s nvidia-gfxG03-331.38-23.1 drivers, the GL/Compiz, Chromium, and GTK applications all appear to be working fine. I do recall that on initial setup back in early Dec, there was some Xorg/X11 oddities when auto-logging in (KDM/KDE seemed to hang hard just before rendering the desktop), but this was quickly resolved following the install of nVidia’s drivers.

Short of a whole new 13.1 installation (just to replicate!), I’m stumped - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

On my 13.1/KDE 4.12.1 desktop (AMD/fglrx video) I have Firefox 26.0-4.2 and Thunderbird 24.2.0-70.7.2
Both seem OK.
Where are you seeing the failure message? i.e., /var/log/messages or console or ?

Your problem must be something else.

From my most recent “firefox” start:

(process:12585): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size 
== 0' failed

(firefox:12585): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::
sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:12585): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:12585): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:12585): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
kmozillahelper(12613): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol ''.
" 
" 
"

Yet “firefox” is running nicely, and I am using it for this reply.

I don’t normally use “thunderbird” for email, so I can’t comment on how well it is working. But I started it up as a test. Looking at the end of “.xsession-errors:0”, I see:

(process:20891): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(thunderbird:20891): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(thunderbird:20891): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(thunderbird:20891): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(thunderbird:20891): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
enigmail.js: Registered components
mimeVerify.jsm: module initialized
plasma-desktop(13606)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application

I’m not sure if that last line is related to “thunderbird”. In any case, “thunderbird” seemed to be running normally.

Hmmm… Yep, those are the same errors pitched at the terminal (and logged) when launching firefox just before it bails to it’s hasty death. I still suspect that it’s related to a naughty package that was installed following the clean install of 13.1.

Unfortunately , the time available to troubleshoot - OK, chase a funky package/config is just too limited right now!. It may be better to avoid the temptation of the “all new goodness” in 13.1, stick with rock-solid 12.3 as is, and then re-attack under 13.2 when the clock is more relaxed.

As I recall, Firefox did work straight out of the box when installed, it wasn’t until after some updates (and the additional packages) were installed that it started to die-on-start. Axiom, when it worked before I touched it, and it works for everyone else, it must be me!

Thanks again for the sanity check! The fact that the g_slice_set_config error does not equal death on start, indicates that Firefox is likely fine, and there’s a malconfigured something-or-other for X/GTK or thereabouts. I’ll check back here on the weekend to see if any new ideas have popped up…

In your initial post you said you had discounted qtcurve as a possible cause, however…

The symptoms you describe are the same as in this post https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/494392-Firefox-26-and-Chrome-31-starting-problem take a look at post #4 onwards.

Logout from KDE and from a terminal try clearing the kde cache to see if that has any effect. ( /var/tmp/kdecache-UserName )

My experience last month or so has been good with 13.1 and KDE 4.12.1.

I did have Firefox problems when Firefox 26.0 arrived.
The kwallet add-in was crashing randomly, taking Firefox with it.
Disabling kwallet fixed it; I have not checked lately if that has been fixed.

No crash issues with Thunderbird

Good luck in your continued search

I agree, the problem certainly is similar, but it’s not the same. GIMP, Chromium (as well as Konqueror) have been fine for the duration of the poking and prodding fun.

The thread/post you mentioned was one of the initial efforts I’d chased because of those unique similarities. Post 8 (and subsequent) seemed to have narrowed down, and agreed, that the problem was identified and addressed around the middle of Jan. Nonetheless, as I only use Oxygen, I happily removed the qtcurve-kde4, qtcurve-gtk2, and libqtcurve-utils0 packages (I think I’d also tried this earlier in the week), but still to no avail…

I also disabled the user’s KWallet Manager subsystem/daemon, but it made no difference (though it crashed shortly after deselecting “Enable KWallet” and entering the user’s password). I couldn’t always replicate the KWallet crash, but there is a momentary KDE/Desktop hang when disabling/quitting.

Just for fun, I tried the init 3, followed by sudo rm -rf /tmp/* /tmp/.* /var/tmp/*, followed by a reboot, same persistent problem though.

We have a bunch of snow falling tonight/this weekend … I think I’ll keep banging my head on this.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions! I’ll check back later - hopefully with a solution!

One other issue I had with Firefox 26 is found in THIS THREAD.

It is not specific to 13.1, I believe, but I updated to Firefox 26.0 in the same time frame and the issues arose.

Happy hunting.