Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

  1. #1

    Default 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    The installation for privoxy is missing the script privoxyd that should be in the /etc/init.d/ diectory; thus one is not able to modify the privoxy config.

    The other problem is with the xfce installation after using xfce on 13.1 with xfwm4, openbox, icewm the cursor disappears from the desktop. This has happened at least 4 times and the only way that I have found to fix it is to reinstall with 12.3 and not use 13.1 at all.

    Any ideas as to what is happening?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,674
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by reguspatoff View Post
    The installation for privoxy is missing the script privoxyd that should be in the /etc/init.d/ diectory; thus one is not able to modify the privoxy config.
    "/etc/init.d" is a leftover from when we were using "sysvinit". With the move to "systemd", files in "/etc/init.d" are mostly unused relics.

    You possibly need to edit the service definition for privoxy.

    Quote Originally Posted by reguspatoff View Post
    The other problem is with the xfce installation after using xfce on 13.1 with xfwm4, openbox, icewm the cursor disappears from the desktop. This has happened at least 4 times and the only way that I have found to fix it is to reinstall with 12.3 and not use 13.1 at all.
    That happens to me on one box, with a Nvidia graphics card. Switching to the "nvidia" driver, instead of the "nouveau" driver, fixed it. The other option, at least in KDE, was to configure the power settings to never turn off the graphics. I'm not sure if there is a similar option for icewm or xfce.

    Your problem might be different, but the chances are that it is related to the graphics driver.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by reguspatoff View Post
    The installation for privoxy is missing the script privoxyd that should be in the /etc/init.d/ diectory; thus one is not able to modify the privoxy config.
    As nrickert already mentioned, privoxy contains a native systemd unit file /usr/lib/systemd/system/privoxy.service.
    To start privoxy on boot, enable that in YaST->System->Services Manager, or with:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable privoxy.service
    AFAICS the configuration is read from /var/lib/privoxy/config (/etc/privoxy is a symlink to that), so just edit that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    hi all, i am facing the same problem, trying to start privoxy but am unsuccessful. if any of you how to install and use then please tell me simple steps... thanx alot...

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by bchachar View Post
    hi all, i am facing the same problem, trying to start privoxy but am unsuccessful. if any of you how to install and use then please tell me simple steps... thanx alot...
    Well, how exactly are you trying to start it?

    What error message do you get?

    What does this say?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status privoxy.service
    Where did you install privoxy from?

    And what openSUSE version are you using? 13.1 as well, as the thread's title would imply?

  6. #6

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, how exactly are you trying to start it?

    What error message do you get?

    What does this say?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status privoxy.service
    Where did you install privoxy from?

    And what openSUSE version are you using? 13.1 as well, as the thread's title would imply?
    well i have opensuse 13.1 and i install privoxy using zypper version privoxy-3.0.21-2.8.1.x86_64. the command "sudo systemctl status privoxy.service" gives me output

    privoxy.service - Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/privoxy.service; disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)


    while #privoxy /etc/privoxy/config does not give any reply...

    will be waiting for solution....

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by bchachar View Post
    well i have opensuse 13.1 and i install privoxy using zypper version privoxy-3.0.21-2.8.1.x86_64. the command "sudo systemctl status privoxy.service" gives me output

    privoxy.service - Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/privoxy.service; disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)


    while #privoxy /etc/privoxy/config does not give any reply...

    will be waiting for solution....
    Try to start it with:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start privoxy.service
    What does "sudo systemctl status privoxy.service" say then?

    If that works, you can make it start automatically on boot with:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable privoxy.service
    Or use YaST->System->Services Manager.
    But I already wrote that in the post before yours anyway...

    Btw, if you are using NetworkManager, have a look at this bug report:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=862339

  8. #8

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    i enabled and started privoxy from yast->service manager and then typed command

    sudo systemctl status privoxy.service

    the output is

    linux-j9pv:~ # sudo systemctl status privoxy.service
    privoxy.service - Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/privoxy.service; enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Sat 2014-03-15 16:05:57 PKT; 8min ago
    Main PID: 12739 (privoxy)
    CGroup: /system.slice/privoxy.service
    └─12739 /usr/sbin/privoxy --chroot --pidfile /run/privoxy.pid --user privoxy /etc/config

    Mar 15 16:05:57 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.
    Mar 15 16:13:56 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.
    Mar 15 16:14:02 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.

    but privoxy is not sending traffic through tor its giving same ip address with or without using privoxy...

  9. #9

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    Quote Originally Posted by bchachar View Post
    i enabled and started privoxy from yast->service manager and then typed command

    sudo systemctl status privoxy.service

    the output is

    linux-j9pv:~ # sudo systemctl status privoxy.service
    privoxy.service - Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/privoxy.service; enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Sat 2014-03-15 16:05:57 PKT; 8min ago
    Main PID: 12739 (privoxy)
    CGroup: /system.slice/privoxy.service
    └─12739 /usr/sbin/privoxy --chroot --pidfile /run/privoxy.pid --user privoxy /etc/config

    Mar 15 16:05:57 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.
    Mar 15 16:13:56 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.
    Mar 15 16:14:02 linux-j9pv.site systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.
    So it is running now.

    but privoxy is not sending traffic through tor its giving same ip address with or without using privoxy...
    Hm, I never used privoxy, so cannot really help you there.
    Maybe you need to configure it first?
    The configuration should be in /etc/privoxy.
    From the included README file:
    Code:
    4. CONFIGURATION
    
    See: 'config', 'default.action', 'user.action', 'default.filter', and
    'user.filter'. 'user.action' and 'user.filter' are for personal and local
    configuration preferences. These are all well commented. Most of the magic is
    in '*.action' files. 'user.action' should be used for any actions
    customizations. On Unix-like systems, these files are typically installed in /
    etc/privoxy. On Windows, then wherever the executable itself is installed.
    There are many significant changes and advances from earlier versions. The User
    Manual has an explanation of all configuration options, and examples: http://
    www.privoxy.org/user-manual/.
    
    Be sure to set your browser(s) for HTTP/HTTPS Proxy at <IP>:<Port>, or whatever
    you specify in the config file under 'listen-address'. DEFAULT is
    127.0.0.1:8118. Note that Privoxy ONLY proxies HTTP (and HTTPS) traffic. Do not
    try it with FTP or other protocols for the simple reason it does not work.
    
    The actions list can be configured via the web interface accessed via http://
    p.p/, as well other options.
    AFAICS the default config tells privoxy to listen on port 8118, so you would have to tell your browser/the system to use the proxy at localhost:8118.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Mar-2014 at 05:18.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2 problems with openSUSE 13.1 cursor & privoxy

    well its working and there was some lines missing in config file. so thank you so much...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •