prt scr shortcut not working in oS 13.1/KDE 4.12

Hi,

In this new oS 13.1 64bits/KDE 4.12.1 install, the printscreen key can’t be bound to ksnapshot. Although it says so in systemsettings<shortcuts and gestures>custom shortcuts (predefined actions) and global shortcuts (khotkeys components).

If I try to bound the prt scr key to ksnapshot using the menu editor it appears to work but after saving, if I open the editor again the shortcut is gone.

I can bind ksnapshot to any other key, just not prt scr. The key seems to do nothing, but AFAICT xev detects the event correctly:

KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x4c00001,
    root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 414125, (160,-11), root:(1070.10),
    state 0x0, keycode 218 (keysym 0xff61, **Print**), same_screen YES,
   XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: **107**
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I don’t have this issue on oS 12.3/KDE 4.11.5

Please, if you are using KDE 4.12.x could you check if prtscr invokes ksnapshot?. If there are more people seeing this I should open a bug, currently I couldn’t find any more recent than 2009.

Thank you.

Notes:

1. The key name Print and keycode 107 are the same shown by xev in the oS 12.3 box that doesn’t have this problem.

2. I tried to (a) revert the shortcut settings to standard in systemsettings, (b) delete the config file .kde4/share/config/khotkeys and (c) replace it with the file of the 12.3 box, logging out and back into KDE after each change. Nothing worked.

3. I’m not sure khotkeys is running. It’s not a standalone, but a service included in kdebase4-worspace. There’s no “hotkeys” service listed in systemsettings>start and shutdown>service manager. There are, however, “input actions” and “keyboard daemon” running. The services are the same in both machines.

Here’s a report of a similar problem, may be the same issue:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/494844-Printscreen

On 01/28/2014 10:26 PM, brunomcl pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In this new oS 13.1 64bits/KDE 4.12.1 install, the printscreen key can’t
> be bound to ksnapshot. Although it says so in systemsettings<shortcuts
> and gestures>custom shortcuts (predefined actions) and global
> shortcuts (khotkeys components).
>
> If I try to bound the prt scr key to ksnapshot using the menu editor it
> appears to work but after saving, if I open the editor again the
> shortcut is gone.
>
> I can bind ksnapshot to any other key, just not prt scr. The key seems
> to do nothing, but AFAICT xev detects the event correctly:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> KeyRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x4c00001,
> root 0x29d, subw 0x0, time 414125, (160,-11), root:(1070.10),
> state 0x0, keycode 218 (keysym 0xff61, Print), same_screen YES,
> XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 107
> XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
> XFilterEvent returns: False
> --------------------
>
>
> I don’t have this issue on oS 12.3/KDE 4.11.5
>
> Please, if you are using KDE 4.12.x could you check if prtscr invokes
> ksnapshot?. If there are more people seeing this I should open a bug,
> currently I couldn’t find any more recent than 2009.
>
> Thank you.
>
>

On my laptop I need to hold the <FN> key as well. My desktop is turned
off so don’t know the key sequence on it.

Ken

That’s set in BIOS, if the fn is used to access the standard or extended function keys. In my case it’s set to extended - I like the standard way of using. Most HP laptops I’ve seen, however, comes with this set to standard, so the usage is inverted.

Anyway, neither fn-prtscr nor prtscr work.

Thanks for replying. Just to confirm, it works on your laptop running openSUSE 13.1 64-bit and KDE 4.12? What’s your laptop brand/model?

This is getting complicated. Reverting to KDE 4.11.5 with standard hotkeys config file didn’t work either, although is the same version of the desktop, that works, but running oS 12.3, not 13.1.

I’m lost here. Suggestions, anyone?

I take it you had 12.3 installed on this machine?

If so, why not restore the backup you made of oS 12.3/KDE 4.11.5 until you track down an answer?

Make a backup (actually, a couple to be safe) of your current system, then restore the 12.3 backup.

Or, back up your current system, clean the disk, and make a fresh installation of 13.1 to see if it was just some anomoly when you installed the first time.

Either way, you can quickly come back to the current installed 13.1 from your backups, if you decide to.

-fb

Try a different user You may just have a screwed up config file. Trying as a different user will show that.

Check that it is enabled in System Settings >> Shortcuts and Gestures >> Custom Shorctcuts >> Preset Actions (enabled) >> PrintScreen (enabled)

I have a HP Compaq 6710b and fn + prt sc works as usual.

Hi,
I upgraded to kde 4.12.1 with openSUSE 13.1
and PrtSc still works.

No, it’s a new install. Hence no backups, either to or from, will help. But thank you for your suggestions.

Good idea, I didn’t think of that. I tried a new user and even logging as root, in case it was a permissions issue, but it didn’t work.

Hi Deano,

Thanks. Printscreen is defined both in custom and global shortcuts. With either or both enabled it still doesn’t work. But perhaps this is were the problem is. I’ll have to investigate further, but it will have to wait until next weekend (life, you know :))

It also works in a 13.1 upgrade I did yesterday in a desktop work box, so I’m starting to think it’s something to do with how these keys are implemented in HP laptop hardware.

Unfortunately due to work engagements I’ll have to postpone exploring this issue. Thank you all who replied and, time permitting, I’ll come back to trying to find a fix for this.

Maybe a silly question, but do you actually have “ksnapshot” installed? And does it work if you run it from Konsole or the application menu?

Btw, it still works fine here as well (openSUSE 13.1/KDE 4.12.1).

On 02/02/2014 11:46 AM, wolfi323 pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> brunomcl;2621558 Wrote:
>> Hi Deano,
>>
>> Thanks. Printscreen is defined both in custom and global shortcuts. With
>> either or both enabled it still doesn’t work. But perhaps this is were
>> the problem is. I’ll have to investigate further, but it will have to
>> wait until next weekend (life, you know :))
> Maybe a silly question, but do you actually have “ksnapshot” installed?
> And does it work if you run it from Konsole or the application menu?
>
> Btw, it still works fine here as well (openSUSE 13.1/KDE 4.12.1).
>
>

A little more research reveals that the possibility may be that the
“PRTSC” is shared with another function. On my desktop the same key
functions as the “PRTSC” and “SYSRQ” key which requires that I also use
the “CTRL” key to process the “SYSRQ” call. By it self the key triggers
ksnapshot. On my laptop the “END” key is shared with “PRTSC” and
requires that I use the “FN” key in combo to trigger ksnaptop. So, check
to see which possiblity you may have. It could be a different combo on
your machine.

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, ksnapshot is installed and working and can be assigned to other shortcuts in both problematic installs, only not to [prt scr]. I say both because I’ve just checked an HP notebook with a recent 13.1 install that I rarely used and - guess what - it also doesn’t work!

I’m thinking it may be something in the way HP implements it’s keyboard control in BIOS. But it’s weird as xev recognizes the key correctly - or does it? The output is basically the same for both working and non-working installs, but this being the differing part on the non-working HPs:

keycode 218
XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 107

Both working desktops show simply

keycode 107

and there’s no line XKysim etc.

Curiouser and curiouser…

BUT when setting the shortcut in kde systemsettings, the button text changes from whatever it was to “Print” (actually “Imprimir”, in pt_BR), indicating KDE does recognize the key correctly.