Thread: Xen crashes machine and wipes out OS

Default Xen crashes machine and wipes out OS

I had a real ugly with Xen on OPensuse. Opensuse 13.1 and server 2012 run flawlessly by themselves. Xen installed fine and I created a VM that installed server 2012 to. On the reboot Xen crashed and down went OS 13.1. I let it do its thing, reported the bug and shutdown. On restart the desktop was gone and no amount of playing with the advanced options will recover it. Files are still there but the OS failed. I was planning on spinning some of the images off to other machines once running but now am caught in this situation where OS 13.1 wont boot so I cant work with the VHD images and if I reinstall Xen and anything goes wrong then I lose my desktop. Its a classic chicken and egg problem. I need 13.1 to use the tools but I cant install the tools on 13.1 because the Xen tools wipe it out. Its a quad core FX processor with 8GB of RAM and a brand new motherboard from Asus. I disabled UEFI BIOS because that is really only any good for MS products. Has anyone installed Xen on 13.1 and attempted to load a VM with server 2012?

Default Re: Xen crashes machine and wipes out OS

Hello,
    I am running OpenSuse 13.1 with xen and I have Windows 2012 running with no problem at all. It depends how you do it, there are many options. This is how I do it:
    - I am managing xen with the xl tool, the new way of doing it.
    - I use raw images
    - I have installed signed pv drivers for Windows from meadowcourt, they actually work for Windows Server 2012.
    - I use ext4 file system on Linux raid5 disk array (mdadm) as storage for virtual machines.
    My observation is that XEN can crash when you have low memory situation in dom0. It happened for me and all domUs were suddenly down. But I have never lost no data. It is always good to run chkdsk on windows after such a crash...

Boris

Quote Originally Posted by exponent View Post
    I had a real ugly with Xen on OPensuse. Opensuse 13.1 and server 2012 run flawlessly by themselves. Xen installed fine and I created a VM that installed server 2012 to. On the reboot Xen crashed and down went OS 13.1. I let it do its thing, reported the bug and shutdown. On restart the desktop was gone and no amount of playing with the advanced options will recover it. Files are still there but the OS failed. I was planning on spinning some of the images off to other machines once running but now am caught in this situation where OS 13.1 wont boot so I cant work with the VHD images and if I reinstall Xen and anything goes wrong then I lose my desktop. Its a classic chicken and egg problem. I need 13.1 to use the tools but I cant install the tools on 13.1 because the Xen tools wipe it out. Its a quad core FX processor with 8GB of RAM and a brand new motherboard from Asus. I disabled UEFI BIOS because that is really only any good for MS products. Has anyone installed Xen on 13.1 and attempted to load a VM with server 2012?