Thread: Opensuse 13.1 x64 kernel panics from dvd boot selecting install - AMD 8350 and gigabyte motherboard

Unhappy Opensuse 13.1 x64 kernel panics from dvd boot selecting install - AMD 8350 and gigabyte motherboard

I have a Gigabyte GA-990XFA-U5 motherboard and AMD FX-8350 CPU

booting the install DVD of opensuse 13.1 x64 I select "install" and it kernel panics.

I've tried legacy only vs uefi/legacy auto doesn't make any difference.

I haven't been able to get opensuse 13.1 to work on my old MSI motherboard G65 and older AMD cpu either,
    that system has the same problems. But this older system opensuse 12.3 x64 works perfectly!

But I'd rather focus on getting this new system working if at all possible.

I'm going to try 12.3 and see if that works on this new system, but can anyone offer some suggestions?

I'd prefer to stay with opensuse if at all possible, my 2nd system just died, and my backup is from opensuse 12.3,
    I'm not sure how portable the mysql databases are.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Angry Re: Opensuse 13.1 x64 kernel panics from dvd boot selecting install - AMD 8350 and gigabyte motherbo

I've tried everything I can think of, and opensuse 13.1 kernel panics every time!

Now I just tested with opensuse 12.3 and it works PERFECTLY!

What did they do to it that broke it so badly? This is horrible

Is there any way to fix this or get it working?

I'm willing to help beta test 13.2 but this is bad.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 x64 kernel panics from dvd boot selecting install - AMD 8350 and gigabyte motherbo

Did you check the download's md5sum?
    Perform the Media Test from the DVD?
    I suspect corrupted install media.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 x64 kernel panics from dvd boot selecting install - AMD 8350 and gigabyte motherbo

Of course I did. the md5sum is perfect.

BTW I'm now running into the realtek r8168 problem.
    But there seems to be a work-around for that.

I figured out the problem with the USB ports that are reported with this board too.
    (hint some old mice require the usb2.0 ports and wont work in the usb3.0 ports)
    easy peasy there.

however, the system still won't start install, DVD boots, select install, and blam.
    kernel panic every time.

and yes, as mentioned, media test and md5sums are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Did you check the download's md5sum?
    Perform the Media Test from the DVD?
    I suspect corrupted install media.

I hate to raise the dead, but I have a nearly identical machine (Gigabyte 990XA-UD3, AMD FX 8350), and am having the exact same problem. The MD5sum of my install disk checks good and was verified after burning with K3b. Mint16 installed without a hitch, and even Windows7 runs as well as Windows ever runs . Has anything been resolved?
    Obscurum per obscurius.
    -The obscure (explained) by the more obscure.