Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

  1. #1

    Exclamation Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    I have done lot of digging on this and other forums and found a set of instructions to get the driver installed for Lexmark z605 on 12.1. I have done a dry run on most of the steps but the first step is stumping me. It asks to install rpm2targz to convert two rpm drivers. The instructions are as follows:

    Download rpm2targz
    bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    su
    **cd rpm2targz**
    ./install

    after executing bunzip2, it can not find rpm2targz directory no matter what I try. I am sure I will have some issues once the driver is installed but right now I am stuck at step 1. Is there an easy way to get rpm2targz installed in OpenSuse 12.1? thx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nmbutt View Post
    I have done lot of digging on this and other forums and found a set of instructions to get the driver installed for Lexmark z605 on 12.1. I have done a dry run on most of the steps but the first step is stumping me. It asks to install rpm2targz to convert two rpm drivers. The instructions are as follows:

    Download rpm2targz
    bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    su
    **cd rpm2targz**
    ./install

    after executing bunzip2, it can not find rpm2targz directory no matter what I try. I am sure I will have some issues once the driver is installed but right now I am stuck at step 1. Is there an easy way to get rpm2targz installed in OpenSuse 12.1? thx
    When you report commands and output, please enclose within [CODE]...[/CO..] tags, including any error messages so we can interpret for ourselves. This information may help others advise, rather than guess. Anyway, when you execute
    Code:
    bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    and you get
    Code:
    bunzip2: Can't open input file rpm2targz.tar.bz2: No such file or directory.
    it is because the path to the file/directory is not known. Change directory to where the file was downloaded, then execute it again, or supply the path
    Code:
    bunzip2 /path/to/rpm2targz.tar.bz2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    When you report commands and output, please enclose within [CODE]...[/CO..] tags, including any error messages so we can interpret for ourselves. This information may help others advise, rather than guess. Anyway, when you execute
    Code:
    bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    and you get
    Code:
    bunzip2: Can't open input file rpm2targz.tar.bz2: No such file or directory.
    it is because the path to the file/directory is not known. Change directory to where the file was downloaded, then execute it again, or supply the path
    Code:
    bunzip2 /path/to/rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    Thanks for a quick reply. Here is output from terminal session. It seems to me there is a step missing somewhere:

    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~/Downloads> bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~/Downloads> su
    Password:
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads # cd rpm2targz
    bash: cd: rpm2targz: No such file or directory
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads # ./install
    bash: ./install: No such file or directory
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads #

    Any help would be appreciated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nmbutt View Post
    Thanks for a quick reply. Here is output from terminal session. It seems to me there is a step missing somewhere:

    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~/Downloads> bunzip2 rpm2targz.tar.bz2
    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~/Downloads> su
    Password:
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads # cd rpm2targz
    bash: cd: rpm2targz: No such file or directory
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads # ./install
    bash: ./install: No such file or directory
    linux-nkt8:/home/nayyar/Downloads #

    Any help would be appreciated.
    You should not need to be root to do these tasks. If the file doesn't exist, did you actually even manage to download 'rpm2targz.bz2'? Only you know where you downloaded it to....

    BTW, it should not be necessary to convert the RPM package(s). An old openSUSE thread

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...45#post2350345

    mentioned that there was some CUPS (package version) dependency issue, but from an old thread I participated in

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...78#post2499178

    I showed that it was possible to use

    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps <name-of-package>
    to get around that.

    Once installed, you restart CUPS (as root) with

    Code:
    rccups restart

  5. #5

    Smile Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    You should not need to be root to do these tasks. If the file doesn't exist, did you actually even manage to download 'rpm2targz.bz2'? Only you know where you downloaded it to....

    BTW, it should not be necessary to convert the RPM package(s). An old openSUSE thread

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...45#post2350345

    mentioned that there was some CUPS (package version) dependency issue, but from an old thread I participated in

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...78#post2499178

    I showed that it was possible to use

    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps <name-of-package>
    to get around that.

    Once installed, you restart CUPS (as root) with

    Code:
    rccups restart
    Thanks .. will retry this weekend.

  6. #6

    Unhappy Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    You should not need to be root to do these tasks. If the file doesn't exist, did you actually even manage to download 'rpm2targz.bz2'? Only you know where you downloaded it to....

    BTW, it should not be necessary to convert the RPM package(s). An old openSUSE thread

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...45#post2350345

    mentioned that there was some CUPS (package version) dependency issue, but from an old thread I participated in

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...78#post2499178

    I showed that it was possible to use

    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps <name-of-package>
    to get around that.

    Once installed, you restart CUPS (as root) with

    Code:
    rccups restart
    I followed the instructions as laid out here. Unfortunately, when I rccups command, it tells me command not found.

    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~> sudo rccups restart
    root's password:
    sudo: rccups: command not found
    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~>

    Then when I go to cups using web interface, it can not find any printer driver files [none whatsoever]. At least before, it gave me a list of drivers to pick from. Now I get nothing.

    What would you suggest I do? It would appear that I am in worse shape than I was before. An help would be appreciated. I don't want to start from scratch. It takes just too much time to reinstall OpenSuse and get all the updates on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nmbutt View Post
    I followed the instructions as laid out here. Unfortunately, when I rccups command, it tells me command not found.

    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~> sudo rccups restart
    root's password:
    sudo: rccups: command not found
    nayyar@linux-nkt8:~>
    If you use sudo, then you also need to supply the path
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/rccups restart
    A reboot would have done the same of course.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Then when I go to cups using web interface, it can not find any printer driver files [none whatsoever]. At least before, it gave me a list of drivers to pick from. Now I get nothing.

    What would you suggest I do? It would appear that I am in worse shape than I was before. An help would be appreciated. I don't want to start from scratch. It takes just too much time to reinstall OpenSuse and get all the updates on.
    I've just found the time to reinstall the z600 RPMs: z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm and z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm. I installed both using the package manager. The cups package complained about the version of cups installed (as it is a very old package), but choosing to ignore this 'dependency' allows it to install with no further issue. Once CUPS was restarted, it was possible to configure with z600 model being available amongst other Lexmark models.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    I found the ppd file in one of the cups folders and manually pointed to that file but when I print a test page. Then it complained about lack of libtc++.so.5 etc. the printer is stopped and I get this message:

    Lexmark-Z600-Series: Directory "/etc/cups/interfaces" has insecure permissions (040755/uid=4/gid=7).']

    I have a feeling I missed a step somewhere. Is there an easy solution? I have the debugging file from cups but it is too long and complicated.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Need help installing Lexmark Z605 printer on OpenSuse 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by nmbutt View Post
    I found the ppd file in one of the cups folders and manually pointed to that file...
    That shouldn't have been necessary. The CUPS web interface allows you to choose by make and model. It will take care of the rest.

    Then it complained about lack of libtc++.so.5 etc. the printer is stopped and I get this message:

    Lexmark-Z600-Series: Directory "/etc/cups/interfaces" has insecure permissions (040755/uid=4/gid=7).'

    I have a feeling I missed a step somewhere. Is there an easy solution? I have the debugging file from cups but it is too long and complicated.
    I think you may mean 'libstdc++.so.5'. Install 'libstdc++6-32bit' then try again.
    Code:
    zypper in libstdc++6-32bit
    This actually provides
    Code:
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.18
    but I think that should be okay.

    I can't test further, since I don't have the hardware. Confirm that you have both RPMs installed (like I have)
    Code:
    rpm -qa|grep z600
    z600cups-1.0-1.i386
    z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •