Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: install opensuse: troubles with graphic card configuration on Radeon HD 8850M

Default Re: install opensuse: troubles with graphic card configuration on Radeon HD 8850M

Hi all,
    I tried once again to install this fglrx driver on my hybrid system (I found on forums that I was not the only one to have issues with such systems).

I tried with uninstalling intel drivers, blacklisting it in modprobe. It does not work and I get some log that states that fglrx could not load the intel driver.
    In fact, fglrx needs to be able to load the 2 gpu, even if it uses the ATI radeon and not the intel one. And it must load their drivers.

I installed intel drivers, removed it from the blacklist and rebooted: I get the following error: atiddxProbe: fail to probe intel VGA device
    http://susepaste.org/5674387

I read in some forum that the solution is to remove nomodeset from the boot options. Although when I do, I get a white screen and the system halts. As you said Tyler, the OSS kernel drivers must have been loaded and prevent the fglrx to load..

I have no more clue where to look, would you have any ideas?
    I am going to try to remove the xorg.conf but it seems to me that it defines the fglrx configuration.

Otherwise Tyler, you offered to upgrade kernel, mesa and xorg. I upgraded kernel (and I discoverd I can switch kernel in boot options, was useful to carry on with the fglrx driver), but how to upgrade mesa and xorg? In yast ui, there is no package to udpate for any of the both stacks.

Default Re: install opensuse: troubles with graphic card configuration on Radeon HD 8850M

I just tried removing xorg.conf file: when booting, I get an error page stating that the GUI failed to start and that I must click on the button logout and retry.

Otherwise I managed to fix the german script: when checking compatibility, it used the first graphic card found (the intel one). By modifying a line, I could get past the compatibility check and install the builded rpm. But I have the same errors when booting.

tried installing radeon driver.. From what I saw in forums, I must remove nomodeset because radeon drivers seem to be kernel based. But when removing nomodeset, I get black screen
    Any help appreciated

linux-40vc:/etc/modprobe.d # modprobe radeon
    FATAL: Error inserting radeon (/lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko): Invalid argument

in dmesg:
    [drm:radeon_init] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

Quote Originally Posted by jeremie_charlet View Post
    tried installing radeon driver.. From what I saw in forums, I must remove nomodeset because radeon drivers seem to be kernel based. But when removing nomodeset, I get black screen
    Any help appreciated

linux-40vc:/etc/modprobe.d # modprobe radeon
    FATAL: Error inserting radeon (/lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko): Invalid argument

in dmesg:
    [drm:radeon_init] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module
    Yes, you _must_ remove "nomodeset" if you want to use radeon.
    The radeon driver only supports KMS.

But did you remove the xorg.conf when trying the radeon driver? If not, X will still try to load fglrx and fail.
    And did you completely uninstall fglrx?
    Otherwise the radeon driver (or any other one like intel f.e.) may even crash because fglrx overrides some system libraries with its own versions that only work with fglrx.
    Perhaps the radeon driver shipped with openSUSE 13.1 does not support your card too well.

Btw, you seem to use kernel 3.11.6. There was an update to 3.11.10 last Friday (and didn't you say you upgraded your kernel?).

If you want to upgrade your X and Mesa stack, add the X11:XOrg repo and switch all packages to the versions from there:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_13.1/ X11:XOrg
    sudo zypper dup --from X11:XOrg

In addition to the advice wolfi gave you, make sure you remove (or comment out) any blacklisting of the radeon driver that may have been created ... you should be able to find it via:
    Code:
    grep radeon /etc/modprobe.d/*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123