Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.1 Gnome broken since nVidia driver update

Default 13.1 Gnome broken since nVidia driver update

Hi all. Hoping someone here knows how to solve this or has at least experienced the same issues. Since the Nvidia driver update the other day I seem to be having some visual issues with the Gnome desktop. I've attached some demonstrative images (Imageshack) that hopefully illustrate the problems. Chiefly, it looks as though the regular Gnome icons and theme are now not in use but I cannot understand why this is. A great many icons have just been replaced with old style stock icons circa Gtk2, or in some instances aren't there at all. I've checked my theme settings and cannot see anything any different to what was there before. In fact I don't generally change the default theme as I like it a great deal. Images below.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

In picture 3 you can see there is no applications icon on the favourites bar on the left. Some of the main icons are just plain diamond icons where there used to be app icons. And also right on the top left the more eagle eyed among you may see a rather odd looking white element just under the Activities text. This is usually a white line to underscore the text when you use the hot corner, but now it is incomplete and looks wrong.

Anyone else experiencing this, and are there any solutions.

Default Re: 13.1 Gnome broken since nVidia driver update

Quote Originally Posted by Kinzie View Post

Anyone else experiencing this, and are there any solutions.
    I can only confirm that I had exactly the same issue. Unfortunately, I know of no cure once the update has been applied. I also experienced difficulties logging on. It required several attempts from the initial log-in screen and was completely impossible to log in again after the screen went into sleep mode. Experience has taught me to be skeptical of SuSE updates, so I had made an Acronis partition image before initiating the update. By restoring the pre-update image, I was again able to logon and had the old icons back. That was several days ago. Thinking perhaps that the problems had been identified and corrected, today I again made an image, then applied the update. Same result - difficult login and icon issues.

Thanks for your reply Steve. I can also confirm the same problem as you when attempting to log in. It takes one or two attempts for me too.

I also have a recent backup image but I'd rather see when the issue is fixed for now as the install is not mission critical for me (luckily). If it does get fixed I'll post up here to let you, and potentially other users, aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinzie View Post
    . If it does get fixed I'll post up here to let you, and potentially other users, aware.
    And thanks for your original post. It's always nice to know that "it's not just me". I'll be checking back from time to time to see if you've anything new to report on the matter; by the same token, I'll be re-applying the updates from time to time, and observing the result. If the present issues ever get resolved, I'll try to remember to post something here to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
    ... I'll be re-applying the updates from time to time, and observing the result...
    Tried it again today (Jan 28), in response to several nags from Update notification. This time, the update seems to have morphed into two distinct parts, the first consisting of a single system update that requires a reboot - no problems with that one - and a second one that includes of multiple pages of diverse minor updates. The second set again hoses the icons and the logon, so I again reinstalled my precautionary partition backup. I'll probably go ahead and install the first, SuSE system update, or whatever they call it, but the second, mammoth, kitchen-sink update is going onto the back burner again. Pity they don't issue such updates in smaller increments, making it easier to determine which one of the 9,427 updatelets contained in a typical round of updates is actually giving a problem, when one does occur. Like you, this issue isn't critical for me. SuSE is only one of three distros I have on different hard drives, and I can always use one of the others - I somewhat prefer Debian-based systems anyway - until this issue passes or is resolved. Yes, I could look at the logs and probably get a better idea what's going on, but frankly, it's easier just to boot up a different distro. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing; the time and effort involved in chasing down and trying to fix the regressions that typically pop up with almost every update exceeds my curiosity about such matters.

I'm having the exact same issue here.
    Some tips that might help:
    To re-login after the lock screen, you can try "login as another user" and then choose "username not listed", then input your username and password. AFAIK, this is the only way to re-login after a lock screen. But there's risk that, after re-login, Gnome might get crashed showing a white screen and only a logout button. If you click logout and login again, all the extensions are disabled and the white screen will probably show again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynxiayel View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue here....
    To re-login after the lock screen, you can try "login as another user" and then choose "username not listed",.
    I can confirm that one can often log in this way, but as you say, it sometimes doesn't work. Out of curiosity, are any or all the other users reporting this problem here using the nVidia proprietary graphics drivers? This is the only system-level change to the native system that I've made, and since the latest round of updates included nVidia fixes, it's the first thing I suspected. Moreover, yesterday I decided to install SuSE from scratch on a new SSD device that I just acquired. After installation, I applied all available updates, but did not install the proprietary nVida driver this time and, guess what, everything seems to work fine. I can certainly see how a bug here would affect the appearance of the icons, the login somewhat less so, unless the logon screen, and especially the monitor and graphics adapter going into sleep mode are handled by the driver. Just speculating, of course, but at this point, an interaction between the proprietary nVidia driver and the latest nVidia updates seems a likely cause.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
    I can confirm that one can often log in this way, but as you say, it sometimes doesn't work. Out of curiosity, are any or all the other users reporting this problem here using the nVidia proprietary graphics drivers? This is the only system-level change to the native system that I've made, and since the latest round of updates included nVidia fixes, it's the first thing I suspected. Moreover, yesterday I decided to install SuSE from scratch on a new SSD device that I just acquired. After installation, I applied all available updates, but did not install the proprietary nVida driver this time and, guess what, everything seems to work fine. I can certainly see how a bug here would affect the appearance of the icons, the login somewhat less so, unless the logon screen, and especially the monitor and graphics adapter going into sleep mode are handled by the driver. Just speculating, of course, but at this point, an interaction between the proprietary nVidia driver and the latest nVidia updates seems a likely cause.
    Apologies for the late reply Steve. I did read your earlier post but it was too late to respond.

Actually for now I have removed openSUSE and have installed Ubuntu 13.10 in its place. I've kept my image and it's ready to be re-installed, but to be honest I'm a little bit disillusioned with openSUSE at the moment. I realise the proprietary nature of Nvidia makes it a real pain in the arse for developers, but the handling of a few things this cycle has upset me a little. We were several weeks waiting for the drivers to arrive, and now they are broken for one reason or another. I would love to stick with the free drivers, but Nouveau is considerably behind with regards gaming experience on Linux that I cannot use it. Plus, what with being told to build my own packages in an earlier thread I made, I sort of get the feeling that regular users aren't so welcome in this land.

Very sad about it, but I'll keep an eye on openSUSE and will always be a fan. Hopefully I'll be able to re-install my image at a later date.

Try btrfs as filesystem and if update or zypper changes broke something you can roll back
    Code:
     snapper -v undochange 2..3 /lib/modules/3.11.6-4-desktop/kernel/drivers/your_nvidia_driver
    2 is the pre update snapshot, 3 is the post update.
    Or you can download the older version of that and replace the new driver wheter in secure mode or in chroot with live CD
    13.2 KDE 64bit tumbleweed
    Lenovo G500s, Thinkpad R500

Quote Originally Posted by roberto68 View Post
    Try btrfs as filesystem and if update or zypper changes broke something you can roll back
    Excellent suggestion, and I may try that with the next install. In the meantime, I can rely on regular partition images made before any major change.

I did want to add one comment regarding nVidia drivers. Even if one is using the nouveau driver, if the nVidia repository is enabled, even without selecting any software for download, a couple of dozen libraries and whatnot will automatically be installed that will hose the GUI. Once this happens, you can only boot into the CLI. I haven't yet tested whether installing the proprietary nVidia drivers from the CLI will restore GUI functionality, but I'd guess the odds are against it.

I have to agree with Kinzie that the current state of the Nvidia drivers is a bit of a mess. Not only with Suse, but with a couple of other, Debian-based, distros that I've recently tried as well. It's a shame that what I regard as the best graphics adapters on the market can't seem to get all that power onto the ground where Linux systems are concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast