Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    43

    Default Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Hi,

    I'm running opensuse 13.1 with kde and I wanted to give Cinnamon and Gnome3 a try.
    So I installed the gnome pattern in yast and used the one-click-install from Portal:Cinnamon but gnome gives me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" and Cinnamon says it crashed and is running in fallback mode, but isn't really usable.

    I've tried using gdm instead of kdm, but before I can log in it also shows me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" message too and I can't do anything after that.

    I've no idea where to start debugging this problem. Can you guys help me out? In what files should I look for error messages?

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    evilnoxx wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running opensuse 13.1 with kde and I wanted to give Cinnamon and
    > Gnome3 a try.
    > So I installed the gnome pattern in yast and used the one-click-install
    > from Portal:Cinnamon but gnome gives me the "oh no! something has gone
    > wrong" and Cinnamon says it crashed and is running in fallback mode, but
    > isn't really usable.
    >
    > I've tried using gdm instead of kdm, but before I can log in it also
    > shows me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" message too and I can't
    > do anything after that.
    >
    > I've no idea where to start debugging this problem. Can you guys help me
    > out? In what files should I look for error messages?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    >


    Do you have the packages mentioned in the below link:-

    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnam...amon_packages:

    Note:-
    Gnome Shell as in GNOME DE is supported but Cinnamon is not official DE
    as mentioned in the below link

    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnamon

    --
    GNOME 3.10.2
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Only package not installed is mdm, but since "Users are free to use Lightdm, XDM, GDM, or KDM instead." I figured i'd try it with kdm or gdm...

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    evilnoxx wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running opensuse 13.1 with kde and I wanted to give Cinnamon and
    > Gnome3 a try.
    > So I installed the gnome pattern in yast and used the one-click-install
    > from Portal:Cinnamon but gnome gives me the "oh no! something has gone
    > wrong" and Cinnamon says it crashed and is running in fallback mode, but
    > isn't really usable.
    >
    > I've tried using gdm instead of kdm, but before I can log in it also
    > shows me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" message too and I can't
    > do anything after that.
    >
    > I've no idea where to start debugging this problem. Can you guys help me
    > out? In what files should I look for error messages?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    >


    Do you have the packages mentioned in the below link:-

    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnam...amon_packages:

    Note:-
    Gnome Shell as in GNOME DE is supported but Cinnamon is not official DE
    as mentioned in the below link

    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnamon

    --
    GNOME 3.10.2
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by evilnoxx View Post
    Hi,

    I'm running opensuse 13.1 with kde and I wanted to give Cinnamon and Gnome3 a try.
    So I installed the gnome pattern in yast and used the one-click-install from Portal:Cinnamon but gnome gives me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" and Cinnamon says it crashed and is running in fallback mode, but isn't really usable.

    I've tried using gdm instead of kdm, but before I can log in it also shows me the "oh no! something has gone wrong" message too and I can't do anything after that.

    I've no idea where to start debugging this problem. Can you guys help me out? In what files should I look for error messages?

    thanks in advance
    I think most of the time this points to a graphics driver problem.

    So, what graphics card do you have? What driver are you using (i.e. did you install any proprietary driver)?

    Please upload your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link.

    Please install the package "Mesa-demo-x" and post the output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    run as user. You can do that in KDE of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    I've an nvidia 8600gts and I use the official nvidia proprietary drivers from the repositories.
    here is my Xorg.0.log: http://susepaste.org/1941224 and the output of glxinfo | grep render
    Code:
     noxx@linux-fscm:~> glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GTS/PCIe/SSE2
        GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, 
        GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I think most of the time this points to a graphics driver problem. So, what graphics card do you have? What driver are you using (i.e. did you install any proprietary driver)? Please upload your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link. Please install the package "Mesa-demo-x" and post the output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    run as user. You can do that in KDE of course.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by evilnoxx View Post
    I've an nvidia 8600gts and I use the official nvidia proprietary drivers from the repositories.
    here is my Xorg.0.log: http://susepaste.org/1941224 and the output of glxinfo | grep render
    OK, this all looks fine.
    So the graphics driver does not seem to be the reason.

    Hm, maybe there's something of interest in /var/log/gdm/ ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    OK, this all looks fine.
    So the graphics driver does not seem to be the reason.

    Hm, maybe there's something of interest in /var/log/gdm/ ?
    The greeter.log had a weird error...

    Code:
    linux-fscm:/var/log/gdm # cat \:0-greeter.log
    /usr/bin/gnome-session: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/gnome-session: undefined symbol: g_spawn_check_exit_status
    and the slave.log had this 10 times:

    Code:
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygdm-simple-slave[971]: WARNING: Unable to connect to display :0
    followed by a

    Code:
    gdm-simple-slave[971]: WARNING: Unable to connect to display after 10 tries - bailing out

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by evilnoxx View Post
    The greeter.log had a weird error...

    Code:
    linux-fscm:/var/log/gdm # cat \:0-greeter.log
    /usr/bin/gnome-session: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/gnome-session: undefined symbol: g_spawn_check_exit_status
    Yes, this is your problem obviously.

    But g_spawn_check_exit_status() has been introduced with libglib 2.34 already AFIACT:
    https://mail.gnome.org/archives/comm.../msg02178.html
    And openSUSE 13.1 contains 2.38.

    Are you sure you installed Cinnamon from the repo for 13.1, or did you add a repo for an earlier openSUSE version by mistake?

    Please post your repo list:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    And which version of gnome-session and libglib-2_0-0 do you have installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qi gnome-session libglib-2_0-0

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, this is your problem obviously.

    But g_spawn_check_exit_status() has been introduced with libglib 2.34 already AFIACT:
    https://mail.gnome.org/archives/comm.../msg02178.html
    And openSUSE 13.1 contains 2.38.

    Are you sure you installed Cinnamon from the repo for 13.1, or did you add a repo for an earlier openSUSE version by mistake?

    Please post your repo list:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    And which version of gnome-session and libglib-2_0-0 do you have installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qi gnome-session libglib-2_0-0

    The repos seem fine...

    Code:
    noxx@linux-fscm:~> zypper lr -d
    # | Alias                        | Name                                    | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                             | Service
    --+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | X11:Cinnamon:Factory         | X11:Cinnamon:Factory                    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Cinnamon:/Factory/openSUSE_13.1/ |        
    2 | download.nvidia.com-opensuse | nVidia Graphics Drivers                 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/                                       |        
    3 | download.opensuse.org-Extra  | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra       | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_13.1/             |        
    4 | download.opensuse.org-Wine   | openSUSE BuildService - Wine CVS Builds | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_13.1/        |        
    5 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse             | Packman Repository                      | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_13.1/                        |        
    6 | libdvdcss repository         | libdvdcss repository                    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/13.1/                                            |        
    7 | repo-13.1-oss                | openSUSE-13.1-OSS                       | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/                        |        
    8 | repo-13.1-update             | openSUSE-13.1 Update-Oss                | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/                                       |        
    9 | repo-update-non-oss          | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Non-Oss            | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/                               |

    And here is the output of rpm -qi gnome-session libglib-2_0-0

    Code:
    noxx@linux-fscm:~> rpm -qi gnome-session libglib-2_0-0
    Name        : gnome-session
    Version     : 3.10.1
    Release     : 1.1
    Architecture: i586
    Install Date: Thu 23 Jan 2014 11:12:28 PM WET
    Group       : System/GUI/GNOME
    Size        : 104460
    License     : GPL-2.0+
    Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Mon 14 Oct 2013 09:16:36 AM WEST, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM  : gnome-session-3.10.1-1.1.src.rpm
    Build Date  : Mon 14 Oct 2013 09:16:27 AM WEST
    Build Host  : build81
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Vendor      : openSUSE
    URL         : http://www.gnome.org
    Summary     : Session Tools for the GNOME Desktop
    Description :
    This package provides the basic session tools, like session management
    functionality, for the GNOME Desktop.
    Distribution: openSUSE 13.1
    Name        : libglib-2_0-0
    Version     : 2.38.2
    Release     : 8.2
    Architecture: i586
    Install Date: Thu 12 Dec 2013 02:48:48 PM WET
    Group       : System/Libraries
    Size        : 1383171
    License     : LGPL-2.1+
    Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 11 Dec 2013 03:38:20 PM WET, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM  : glib2-2.38.2-8.2.src.rpm
    Build Date  : Mon 25 Nov 2013 10:49:01 AM WET
    Build Host  : build35
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Vendor      : openSUSE
    URL         : http://www.gtk.org/
    Summary     : General-Purpose Utility Library
    Description :
    GLib is a general-purpose utility library, which provides many useful
    data types, macros, type conversions, string utilities, file utilities,
    a main loop abstraction, and so on.
    Distribution: openSUSE 13.1

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can't start Gnome3 nor Cinnamon

    Quote Originally Posted by evilnoxx View Post
    The repos seem fine...
    Yes.

    And here is the output of rpm -qi gnome-session libglib-2_0-0
    This looks fine as well.
    Hm, strange.

    Try to run "sudo zypper dup", does that update anything? Do you get any conflict?

    Try "sudo zypper inr", that installs all recommended packages. Maybe you are missing one?

    Can you run GNOME applications in KDE? (try to start "gedit" f.e. in Konsole. If you get an error please post it)

    Do you maybe have an incompatible libglib somewhere else on your system?
    Code:
    find / -name libglib*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •