Thread: Problem copying from samba-share in SuSE 12.3

Default Problem copying from samba-share in SuSE 12.3

Hi!

I've had problems copying with Thunar from any sambashare I have got in my network. It has been going on for some time now, if I remember right from SuSE12.1 or 2.
    The copying process starts allright, but "hangs" after the first 10-30% and remains that way till I kill the process. (nothing else works)
    I mostly have succeeded using Dolphin, therefore thought it was a Thunar problem.
    Today I tried using Nautilus and it showed the same problems copying from any samba share. -I should mention that I have used Gnome-Nautilus since SuSE8.2 and never experienced anything similar.

Today I made a more thorough search and found this on an ubuntu-bug-thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1075923
    It seems the problems are related to gvfs and not to Nautilus or Thunar. It also seems to be solved in october 2013 in gvs v. 1.16.1 -->.

Now in SuSE12.3 I've got 1.14.2 and there are no newer version in the 12.3 repos. (SuSE13.1 has got gvfs 1.18.3 and shows no problems copying from samba).

Now to my questions:
    1. Will there be an upgrade of the buggy gvs-1.14.2 to 1.16.1 or preferably higher? (12.3 should not be obsolete yet )

2. Can I otherwise safely upgrade gvfs myself with a gvfs-pack i found on rpm pbone (same gvfs-applications as i found on my SuSE12.3):
    gvfs-backend-afc-1.16.3-5.4.x86_64.rpm
    gvfs-backends-1.16.3-1.1.x86_64.rpm
    libgvfscommon0-1.16.3-5.4.x86_64.rpm
    gvfs-1.16.3-5.4.x86_64.rpm
    gvfs-fuse-1.16.3-5.4.x86_64.rpm
    or are there any other gvfs-dependencies that I miss doing that?

Thanks in advance and Best regards
    Lars

Default Re: Problem copying from samba-share in SuSE 12.3

Perhaps I should supply a little bit more information and correct something I wrote yesterday? The latter first:
    "are there any other gvfs-dependencies that I miss doing that?"
    Of course I meant gvfs interdependencies.

Now I'm not very good at rpm nor zypper and searched around a lot this morning to find a way to get the reverse dependencies of the packages I listed above, but for the installed versions:
    1.14.2-2.1.2.x86_64.
    I found a command that might give the reverse dependencies, though I'm not certain:
    Code:
    $ rpm -q --whatrequires
    I ran it for the installed versions of gvfs and libgvfs and got the reply:
    "
    Code:
    No package requires gvfs-backend-afc-1.14.2-2.1.2.x86_64
    " and so forth.

Searching in the zypper corner gave as result that searching reverse dependencies with zypper is something "in progress"
    In my local manual I though found something that might fit, but as with rpm above I'm not sure:
    Code:
    $ zypper se --requires gvfs
    Loading repodata...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Namn                            | Sammanfattning                   | Typ    
    --+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+--------
      | gedit-plugin-latex              | GEdit Plugin for Editing LaTeX-> | package
      | gigolo                          | Frontend to Easily Manage Conn-> | package
    i | gvfs                            | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
      | gvfs-32bit                      | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
    i | gvfs-backend-afc                | VFS functionality for GLib -- -> | package
    i | gvfs-backends                   | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
      | gvfs-devel                      | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
    i | gvfs-fuse                       | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
      | gvfs-lang                       | Languages for package gvfs       | package
    i | libgvfscommon0                  | VFS functionality for GLib       | package
      | package-lists-openSUSE-GNOME-cd | Patterns for Installation (ful-> | package
      | package-lists-openSUSE-X11-cd   | Patterns for Installation (ful-> | package
      | package-lists-openSUSE-images   | Patterns for Installation (ful-> | package
      | pcmanfm                         | The next generation LXDE file -> | package
      | sparkleshare                    | A file sharing and collaborati-> | package
    $
    Somewhat surprised I couldn't find Thunar or Nautilus in the list, but interpreted it as gvfs is not a mandatory requirement for Thunar or Nautilus, just necessary if I want to mount a virtual filesystem.
    Remember: I'm just trying to guess my way along trying to find out if I disturb or ruin any functionality in SuSE12.3 by upgrading gvfs from 1.14.2 to 1.16.3?

Finally i ran
    Code:
    $ zypper se --requires [package]
    for the installed versions of gvfs and libgvfs packages and got the reply:
    Code:
    loading repodata...
    Reading installed packages...
    No packages found.
    $
    Now, am I totally wrong here or should it be fairly safe upgrading the gvfs packages fro 1.14.2 to 1.16.3?
    (By the way I found the 1.16.3 among unstable builds for 12.3 on http://software.opensuse.org/ as well, but not yet in any 12.3-repo)

I would really appreciate a comment or some kind of guidance in this matter since I do not want to destroy my well configured 12.3.

Regards
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Larsed View Post
    Now, am I totally wrong here or should it be fairly safe upgrading the gvfs packages fro 1.14.2 to 1.16.3?
    (By the way I found the 1.16.3 among unstable builds for 12.3 on http://software.opensuse.org/ as well, but not yet in any 12.3-repo)

I would really appreciate a comment or some kind of guidance in this matter since I do not want to destroy my well configured 12.3.

Regards
    Lars
    I you get no other answers, perhaps you could do what I would do when I am unsure:

Back your system up (multiple copies if you can to be sure you have one that works, and perhaps with more than one backup program).

Try the upgrade. If it seems to be working well, stick with it a few days.

If it doesn't work well, or something goes wrong, just restore from your backup.

Then, if someone else ever asks the same question, you can give them the answer from your own personal experience.

Just a suggestion...

-fb
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Well thank you Fraser_Bell!
    That's a way I normally use in Windows before a critical installation, that is I make an image of the whole OS-partition with Ghost or PartImage.
    In Linux I thought and hoped someone might know how cruical gvfs is for the system, apart from mounting a samba share with Thunar or Nautilus. Or perhaps recall how to get the reverse dependencies for gvfs, that is what packages have gvfs as a dependency (or use it)?

Nevertheless I made an image of my SuSE12.3. And upgraded gvfs from 1.14.2 to 1.16.3.

That was a horror and I can only dissuade anyone from doing the same! At least until the gvfs upgrade comes in the ordinary repo.

My outputs of

Code:
    $ rpm -q --whatrequires

and
    Code:
    $ zypper se --requires

obviously didn't tell the whole truth.

The upgrade affected -not so much the bootup, but the time from that to login. Further the XFCE an Gnome Desktop environments. It took over 5 minutes to get a Desktop and neither Thunar or Nautilus started after less than 5-7 minutes. Tried to get a picture of the Thunar starting problems by starting it from Terminal:

Code:
    $ Thunar
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd received signal 6 (g-dbus-error-quark, 26)

(Thunar:2715): GVFS-CRITICAL **: fill_mountable_info: assertion `proxy != NULL' failed
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Activation of org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor timed out (g-dbus-error-quark, 20)
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.Private.MTPVolumeMonitor: Tidsgränsen uppnåddes (g-io-error-quark, 24)
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.Private.GoaVolumeMonitor: Tidsgränsen uppnåddes (g-io-error-quark, 24)
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.Private.AfcVolumeMonitor: Tidsgränsen uppnåddes (g-io-error-quark, 24)
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor: Tidsgränsen uppnåddes (g-io-error-quark, 24)
    Error creating proxy: Fel vid anrop av StartServiceByName för org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd received signal 6 (g-dbus-error-quark, 26)
    gtk obviously was one resource that needed gvfs.

No samba network was visible at all, and the "address-bar" in Thunar appeared "dead" when trying to mount a samba-share from there. Finally the normal XFCE-display of unmounted other partitions on Desktop was gone and I could not find them in Thunar's filetree either.

I didn't have to use the image though, got rid of the problems by downgrading gvfs to 1.14.2 (the original version).

Strange that no one else have reported this problem earlier? The ubuntu-mint people have noticed it and related it to a bug in gvfs-smb (gvfs-backends SuSE) with reference to a bugzilla.gnome.org. A bug that finally was fixed. -Or am I the only one with SuSE who has experienced the problem with copying to and from a samba-share using Thunar or Nautilus.

Anyway, Thank you for the encouragement Fraser_Bell!

Lars

Strange that no one else have reported this problem earlier? The ubuntu-mint people have noticed it and related it to a bug in gvfs-smb (gvfs-backends SuSE) with reference to a bugzilla.gnome.org. A bug that finally was fixed. -Or am I the only one with SuSE who has experienced the problem with copying to and from a samba-share using Thunar or Nautilus.

That could be possible. The only samba-share I have in my system is one on my main
    openSUSE-only system, and I only access it across the network from another machine that is running Windows-only.

A special case to share certain files to that other machine when I am there.

Anyway, Thank you for the encouragement Fraser_Bell!

Lars
    My pleasure, indeed. I still think the best way to truly understand something is to actually try it, the lesson sticks better, especially if you break it, then fix it.

Just click the star at the bottom of that other response, if you liked my answer.

-fb

-Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post

My pleasure, indeed. I still think the best way to truly understand something is to actually try it, the lesson sticks better, especially if you break it, then fix it.

[/SIZE]
    Just click the star at the bottom of that other response, if you liked my answer.

-fb

You may excuse me here fb, but I'm no facebook person ;-) and I don't "like" or "dislike" forum answers, I appreciate answers that help me on the way and when so I express my appreciation in words, when they don't I simply neglect them. I appreciated yours as you could see :-).

Best regards
    Lars

You may excuse me here fb, but I'm no facebook person ;-)

Facebook? What's facebook? Never been there, never done that ... 8-i

and I don't "like" or "dislike" forum answers, I appreciate answers that help me on the way

Works for me. No problem.

-fb

-Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Just a short note about the problems described:
    ftp connections and transfers works with the above version of gvfs-backends.

Since this post I used one of openSUSE's mailing lists and got a suggestion of a patch that worked in SuSE12.3.
    So I finally filed a bug report about the gvfs-backends (-smb) with a suggestion that they use the patch in a coming update for 12.3.

Lars

Default Re: Problem copying from samba-share in SuSE 12.3 [Solved!]

...and today I got a message that the bug was resolved :-)

[for the curious 860882]

Default Re: Problem copying from samba-share in SuSE 12.3 [Solved!]

...and today I got a message that the bug was resolved :-)

[for the curious 860882]
    Great stuff. Way to go, Lars.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~