Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Switching workspace using screen edges

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    64

    Default Switching workspace using screen edges

    I am trying to configure the top-right screen edge to switch workspace. but for some reason I can not select Desktop cube in the screen edge settings. The setting is grayed-out. Am I doing something wrong, or is it meant to be disabled? I can select Desktop cube in the desktop effects settings, but that does not activate the top-right corner. Anybody know what to do, I am using Opensuse 13.1

  2. #2

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAmmerlaan View Post
    I am trying to configure the top-right screen edge to switch workspace. but for some reason I can not select Desktop cube in the screen edge settings. The setting is grayed-out. Am I doing something wrong, or is it meant to be disabled? I can select Desktop cube in the desktop effects settings, but that does not activate the top-right corner. Anybody know what to do, I am using Opensuse 13.1
    Works fine here.

    Are you sure you have the Desktop Cube activated in Desktop Effects->All Effects? (and I mean "Desktop Cube", not "Desktop Cube Animation")
    And is it actually working? (the standard shortcut is Ctrl+F11)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Thanks, that was the problem, I only had the animation, works fine now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,152

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    It looks to me that this may be desktop dependent. If that is the case, you two in a miraculous way, understood which one.

    Any chance you mention this here for posterity?
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It looks to me that this may be desktop dependent. If that is the case, you two in a miraculous way, understood which one.

    Any chance you mention this here for posterity?
    KDE.

    That's the only one I know which has configurable screen edge/corner actions, a Desktop Cube, and desktop effects settings...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,152

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    KDE.

    That's the only one I know which has configurable screen edge/corner actions, a Desktop Cube, and desktop effects settings...
    That does not mean that you should not post that assumption when the OP fails to tell it.
    Others may not be able to follow your strain of thought and the threads here are to be understood by many and not just by the two people that asked and answered to be of value to the community.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That does not mean that you should not post that assumption when the OP fails to tell it.
    Others may not be able to follow your strain of thought and the threads here are to be understood by many and not just by the two people that asked and answered to be of value to the community.
    Sorry. But KDE is the default, so I most of the time just assume that anyway if nothing is mentioned.

    And I explicitely stated it now anyway...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,152

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sorry. But KDE is the default, so I most of the time just assume that anyway if nothing is mentioned.

    And I explicitely stated it now anyway...
    The main message was of course to advise the OP that he did not even explain what he uses. The secondary is that those who answer have thuss my implication all sorts of assumptions (based in processes internal to them like "that is the default") we do not know. And it is quite possible that a OP may not understand that the whole thread is now going the wrong way. Assumptions based on assumptions.

    Please, please to everybody. Others do not know, can not see, feel, guess, what ones system/environment is.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    I have added specifications of my Computer to my signature to avoid future problems
    OS: OpenSUSE 13.1 KDE x86_64
    Name: Toshiba Satellite L850-1KT
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7670M
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM
    Full Specifications: https://tinyurl.com/k9sucx9

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,152

    Default Re: Switching workspace using screen edges

    It is one accepted way of telling this.

    BTW, it is not not my favorite though:
    • when the data changes in real life, many forget to change the signature;
    • when you change the sgnature in the future, old posts will show your new signature and thus create confusion;
    • some have more then one system andwill thuis create confusion when they do not tell which one belongs to a problem they post.


    And I see something unsuspected now. In your first post you say you use openSUSE 13.1. You now disclose that it is in fact Tumbleweed. Apart from the fact that we do not love those surprises, did you see that we have a Tumbleweed subforum. That is the place were other Tumbleweed users (not me e.g.) are luring to help with Tumbleweed problems.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •